Not able to be together for 'Religous reasons, difference of faith.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Retrospective81

As I may have said I met a lady from Asia who I really click with and she clicks with me/ We had been very close when talking on Skype etc But she warned me being Muslim, she couldn't marry a non Muslim partner. She did however decide to be open about it until today. She told me she had decided she had to be true to herself ands tick with her religious and moral obligations.

Strangely, I actually feel quite ok with that and somehow its not hurtful at all as to being rejected when there are no barriers such as the aforementioned. I respect fully one's chosen faith/religion as they are only doing what's right for themselves. I'm an Atheist myself recently nowadays and I would expect the same treatment from anyone else concerning my beliefs etc.

I'm open minded when it comes to dating someone from a different religious background myself.

Anyone ever been through this? How did you feel? did you respect their choices fully?

Please, before you reply, this isn't a post where its acceptable to start preaching hate or ridicule or judgement over people's beliefs. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been through similar?

Cheers.

I'm sorry. I went through the same thing a few years ago except it was regarding a friendship. Because he was Muslim, he wasn't allowed to befriend a girl (something about marriage) or anyone out of his race or anyone without the same belief.

I was saddened over it. It hurt because I didn't want to lose a friend over that. But you know, there wasn't much I could do since it's his belief and I wanted nothing more but to respect it. I lost him as a friend. But I was glad to have known him.

Yeah. I know a girl now.... I like her alot, but I'd have to convert (to Islam) before I could even ask....

Yeah, a girl rejected me because her religion was different from mine, so I know how you feel. It always depends on whether the other person likes you enough to put religious beliefs aside.

I am a Christian, but would have no problem being in a relationship with someone of another faith as long as they respected my right to remain a Christian and I would equally respect their beliefs as well.
If someone of another faith started a relationship with me, though, and did not say at the outset that they would expect/need me to convert if we were to become serious, then I would feel annoyed and hurt, as this should be said at the start so that both people know the situation.

personally, I think it's all crazy.
not being a religious person.. I just don't understand how people can be so convinced by their belief in a religious organization that they prevent themselves from being human and living happy.

I say a "religious organization" and not simply religion or belief, because that is what sets the rules.
it is not your god or the teaching of it, it is rules set out by an institution (other human followers) that create the rules that followers accept as handed down by god.
they way I look at it, there are many many faiths that don't not sync with each other. and so they cannot all be right or true. which means even if there is one true and correct faith, that would mean there are billions of other people following faiths that are wrong and are wasting their entire lives being dedicated to a lie.
I can see that some faiths can coexist together and have no conflicts in perceptions, but others are so opposite they can barely sit in the same room with each other depending on how extreme they are.
I guess it would depend on how moderate they are.

rayeo said:
I'm sorry. I went through the same thing a few years ago except it was regarding a friendship. Because he was Muslim, he wasn't allowed to befriend a girl (something about marriage) or anyone out of his race or anyone without the same belief.

I was saddened over it. It hurt because I didn't want to lose a friend over that. But you know, there wasn't much I could do since it's his belief and I wanted nothing more but to respect it. I lost him as a friend. But I was glad to have known him.

I'm sorry to hear that Rayeo, I'm glad you kept positive over it then being resentful and bitter though. its not easy!

Tiina63 said:
I am a Christian, but would have no problem being in a relationship with someone of another faith as long as they respected my right to remain a Christian and I would equally respect their beliefs as well.
If someone of another faith started a relationship with me, though, and did not say at the outset that they would expect/need me to convert if we were to become serious, then I would feel annoyed and hurt, as this should be said at the start so that both people know the situation.

Tiina. I share the same sentiments 101% such things should always be discussed first and foremost!

-Sai- said:
Sounds like she was pressured.

By me?

Seeker said:
Yeah, a girl rejected me because her religion was different from mine, so I know how you feel. It always depends on whether the other person likes you enough to put religious beliefs aside.

Seeker, Yes, absolutely.

The Replicated Man said:
Yeah. I know a girl now.... I like her alot, but I'd have to convert (to Islam) before I could even ask....

That sounds exactly the same as me. Except that I asked her anyway.

-Sai- said:
Retrospective81 said:
-Sai- said:
Sounds like she was pressured.

By me?

No. I don't know by whom, that is impossible to say from the information shared here.

I'm glad you saw that and Ill be honest, maybe I did pressure her a little by trying to tell her not to let her fait come between someone you like/are attracted to. In the end, she chose her faith. We are friends, I respect her for her decision of course. TBH the friendships been better since getting feelings out of the way :)

Relationships of two different religions or beliefs never work unless they truly aren't involved in their belief. Can you image having a child between a Muslim and Atheist. Most people want their kids to grow up with their beliefs and values. Would the child be Muslim or Atheist? Catholic or Buddhist. If you or anyone ever loves someone you cant ask them to forget their faith because your asking them to forget a piece of themselves. Remember you want someone to take you as you are so you most always remember to take them for who they are.

Latest posts

Back