Not part of the world

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaves

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
Im here because I am lonely too. I have no friends. But I just wanted to ask if any of you ever get the feeling of not being part of the world. As if you are already dead. Yes I go outside for shopping but I dont have a job and all this is not enough too make me feel like im part of anything really.
As I am new you probably expect me to tell my life story, but Im not gonna do that. I can tell you that I have been really lonely for a really long time.

First of all, welcome :)

Yes, I often have times where I question whether I am really here. The first time I felt lonely was when I started school, and was around groups of people everyday. It seemed like no one saw me, and like I couldn't reach out to anyone.

No expectations here. Say what you need to :)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Yes, I've had the feeling that I don't belong in this world. I think a lot of people on this forum feel the same, maybe it's a form of feeling loneliness. After all, if we felt we belonged, we wouldn't feel lonely.

Read this, it's a beautiful article: The Opposite of Loneliness - Marina Keegan

Hi. :) You are in the world. It's normal to feel like you're not if you haven't worked for a while.

Have you tried volunteering? You don't necessarily have to get money for something that makes you feel fulfilled. Volunteer work is on your terms because you're offering your hours for free, unlike paid work. You also potentially get the opportunity to meet people.

You could also try filling out surveys like I do. It's a really simple thing that makes you feel like you're contributing to the world.

Something else which makes you feel apart of the world is knowing what's going on in the world, so following the news and responding to it can help with that (for example, if everyone else is donating to something such as a natural disaster, donate yourself as well, then you're apart of it). The only problem with this is that if you suffer from depression, then following the news can contribute to it, especiallly if you take a cynical view of it.

Building up some small things to contribute to like this can help especially if you can't work.

Hello Leaves. Yes, I share your feeling of not being part of the world. Loneliness does often make us feel like outsiders, as if we don't belong. Often I feel insubstantial, something like a ghost, as if I could float away.

I don't feel as though I'm part of this world in a social aspect because I don't understand the people in our society, their actions and words confound me, I'm not inclined to want to be friendly to people because generally speaking I think most are morons, I have a cynical view of government and business...but on the other hand I feel perfectly at home with nature, in the mountains, walking through the woods, with the little critters in the forest...I've chosen not to be a part of society as much as I possibly can and it's been a very good choice for me, no regrets.

I know. I'm an alien from another planet who was dumped here by my negligent parents. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. Most people seem to take to life like it's natural and it all makes sense while I'm like a fish who's been rudely pulled out of his natural environment and carelessly left on the riverbank uselessly flapping his fins. It's not easy feeling that you don't belong anywhere. There's this other world going on that you feel alienated or indifferent to, and you're not sure if you wish you could belong there or whether you want to get as far away as possible from it. Or maybe that's just me.

I guess many people at one point or another feel that way, lonely & out of place... I'm sort of a loner but I do feel like some company once in a while, hence why I'm here... It's good to leave some thoughts & see what people think of them... You might get into a conversation before you know it...

Lishniy Chelovek said:
I know. I'm an alien from another planet who was dumped here by my negligent parents. It's the only explanation that makes any sense. Most people seem to take to life like it's natural and it all makes sense while I'm like a fish who's been rudely pulled out of his natural environment and carelessly left on the riverbank uselessly flapping his fins. It's not easy feeling that you don't belong anywhere. There's this other world going on that you feel alienated or indifferent to, and you're not sure if you wish you could belong there or whether you want to get as far away as possible from it. Or maybe that's just me.

this

welcome..
yes, I do get that feeling a lot, in the last years i have learnt to look like Earthlings, behave like them, but we will always be different - I don't know exactly why, wish I did - I just don't feel that I can trust most people

I feel like I "dropped out" of this world long ago, sort of living in a shell and don't want to get out. Sometimes I try to get out but part of me resist and sabotage my attempts.

I think this world would be better if there are less of us.

I'm not impressed by humans anymore. Babies, kids, adults, old people. Healthy people, sick people. Thin people, fat people, attractive people, ugly people, intelligent people, stupid people, rich people, poor people, it doesn't matter.

I think America and the world screwed up and there's no going back. I really don't give a care anymore. Which is not to say that I actually wish harm. It's just that I'm not attached to human civilization anymore, I don't care what they do or don't do.

I'm apart and I don't have a stake in it. I want to live my life in the most peaceful, pleasant way possible, and perhaps meet a few like minded souls.

Leaves said:
Hello everybody.
Im here because I am lonely too. I have no friends. But I just wanted to ask if any of you ever get the feeling of not being part of the world.

I have felt this way, but then something happens to change my mood before I know it and then I feel normal. I don't feel normal at the moment.

Leaves said:
Hello everybody.
Im here because I am lonely too. I have no friends. But I just wanted to ask if any of you ever get the feeling of not being part of the world. As if you are already dead. Yes I go outside for shopping but I dont have a job and all this is not enough too make me feel like im part of anything really.
As I am new you probably expect me to tell my life story, but Im not gonna do that. I can tell you that I have been really lonely for a really long time.

I get out some but I have an old friend from college that is like that. After college, he moved back in with his parents. He only gets out to work at the family business. He has gotten where he doesn't even talk online anymore. He has gone full recluse. I talked to him on the phone after someone I knew killed herself. He sounded like a zombie. Just completely out of it.

Yes of course I feel like I'm not part of the world. At the moment I'm not working cause I'm working on myself and I'm seeing a therapist cause I'm trying to get over some things that happened to me. I feel like I can't work or go to college cause I won't be able to concentrate on anything. Trust me you're not alone. And I hope you find the help you're looking for on here. If you need someone to talk too, please send me a message.

The best way to become part of the world?

Join in! Mingle!

We're social creatures, after all.

If you live in a decent town, get out there and live in that town.

(...but then maybe I should take more of my own advice)

I used to feel that way. Maybe I still do, I just don't care anymore about being part of the world. I don't care if I'm following the trends and the fads. I don't care if I have all the cool new stuff. I don't care what people think of me, for the most part.

I'm part of MY world, there are people in it that care about me and some that likely wish I'd fall of the face of the earth and of course the total strangers I have yet to meet. I don't mean this to sound conceited in any way, just that the world is too big to be a complete part of, it's being overly ambitious. Yes, you are a part of it, but when you think about it in smaller terms, in your own area and circle of life, you do matter and you always will. You may not see that you matter and you are a part of it, but you are. Do your own thing, be who you are, someone out there cares and appreciates it.

Yeah, I also have that feeling of not being part of the world.

I believe we have this feeling because of what we are told, on a daily basis, from tv shows/programs and feel "bad" because we do not comply to those standards.

Latest posts

Back