Not Wanting to be Seen as Arrogant?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a tendancy to think about all my failures (numerous as they are) and my own personal shortcomings whenever something good happens. I justify this behavior as "being humble", and "not wanting to become arrogant", but I feel that this is just thinly veiled self sabotage. Whatever it is, I feel that it keeps me humble, but it often makes me depressed. So, my question is this: why do I keep doing this, and can I stop, or at the very least, modify this deep seated behavior?

Your comments are not expected, but appreciated.

Pride in self is not a sin. It is essential to motivation and ambition. I don't know what the solution to your problem will be, but what helps me is watching my own thoughts.

Let's say you do something well and, out of habit, you start thinking "Well, I have XYZ shortcoming." Don't just let that thought pass on. Question it. Ask yourself why you thought about it. Is it out of habit or because it was true? Has anyone every told you this was a shortcoming, and why? Etc. etc. Sometimes you can't trust your own brain to tell you who you are.

^ I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of success, at least I don't think that I am. :)

sylvestris lybica said:
Let's say you do something well and, out of habit, you start thinking "Well, I have XYZ shortcoming." Don't just let that thought pass on. Question it. Ask yourself why you thought about it. Is it out of habit or because it was true? Has anyone every told you this was a shortcoming, and why? Etc. etc. Sometimes you can't trust your own brain to tell you who you are.

It appears to be mostly out of habit, but I'm not sure as to why I do it.

Make a list of yout assets.
Bring this into light, your focus or awearness.

Write it out.
The read it out loud.
Im the moring or before you slumber.

Or make a recording of yourself
And listen to it often. Everyday.

Your habit or the mechanics
Of it in itself is not bad.
Its neutral. Use the process
To work for you instead of against you.
Its the informations or food youre feeding it.
If you listen to positive things about yourself,
Itll become automatic to

The recording of your own vioce.
Listening to it will tequire less effort
And is very effective.
Because your badically bombering
You brain with positve messages.

I basucally made a recording of
Myself thats only 3 mins long.
Get it on repeat on my Mp3.
I kisten to it tbroughout my day
Or when im sleeping.

Then those thoughts or my vioce
Will just pop into my awearness.
It so much esier to do positive
Self talk when positive meesage
Pops into my awearness.

When i get negative thoughts ,
I si.pky just cast tgem azide.
S pm

But you must take the time to
Make the list and record yourself.

Finding the balance between being confident and arrogant can be a hard thing to do.
Remember, that you are not worthless and that EVERYONE has short comings.
Don't be afraid to admit you're good at something when you KNOW you are good at something. Just don't brag about it.
No one wants to hear a whiny person more than they want to hear an arrogant person.
Believe in yourself!
http://selfconfidenceforum.com/

Latest posts

Back