Oh hi!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gluguy

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!

My name is Ben, and while I had been a silent watcher of this forum for a while, recently I decided to join the community (at last).

I want to keep this introduction post as short as possible, but I still have the feeling it won't work, so let me apologize for the long post in advance.

People usually say that life is a cycle of ups and downs. Well, I guess I had more of the "downs" than the "ups", but I'm pretty sure it's true for almost everyone where.

I want to think that I'm just an average guy (in a good way); but the fact that I can't connect with most of the other people says otherwise. Anyways, I'm really interested in arts (especially music), but also interested in several other hobbies, like collectible card games, board games, video games, movies and cinema, and so on.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask anything.

...well, it seems that I actually COULD keep it in short, which is kinda surprising.

Hi Ben!
Like yourself, I have been a silent watcher of this forum for a while.
I'm quite into video games too, which sorts do you like?

Doodlebean8 said:
Hi Ben!
Like yourself, I have been a silent watcher of this forum for a while.
I'm quite into video games too, which sorts do you like?

Hey! Thanks for your post!

My favourite genre is obviously role-playing games, and video games that has a unique atmosphere or some kind of message that they want to deliver (art games). Story-wise, Fallout is my favourite series, but as I said, I also like games like Journey; or jRPG "hidden gems" like Jade Cocoon or Azure Dreams.

On the other hand, I also play games to simply relax, like fighting games, platformers, and old school classics (I have a relatively huge collection of retro games).

No problem!:)
I have been contemplating whether to give Fallout ago. I've been recommended it but it hasn't entirely gripped me from trailers and walkthroughs I've seen. I personally like, psychological, cinematic games. Such as Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls. However, i'm not limited to that genre. I've really enjoyed, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, La Noire, Uncharted series, to name a few. Also partial to a bit of Fifa, with growing up as a football fan.

Doodlebean8 said:
No problem!:)
I have been contemplating whether to give Fallout ago. I've been recommended it but it hasn't entirely gripped me from trailers and walkthroughs I've seen. I personally like, psychological, cinematic games. Such as Heavy Rain and Beyond 2 Souls. However, i'm not limited to that genre. I've really enjoyed, Red Dead Redemption, The Last Of Us, La Noire, Uncharted series, to name a few. Also partial to a bit of Fifa, with growing up as a football fan.

The main problem with the Fallout series in general is that they have an incredibly well written story, with awesome dialogues and has an overall message they want to deliver... in a mediocre game at best. Fallout 1 and 2 are incredibly outdated nowadays, and as a game, they are typical "grindfest" games where you have no choice, but to kill all the enemies you meet with, or in the end, you will be killed. You can't beat those games as a "pacifist".

Fallout 3 and New Vegas, on the other hand, improved a lot. They have new elements, and feel like you're actually in control (and has an option to actually do), but the games in general are incredibly buggy: they freeze a lot, you can accidentally walk through walls and buildings, and so on. With unofficial patches, they are a bit better, but that's only an option for PC players. Also, Fallout 3's story is not that great as other Fallout games' story; Fallout: New Vegas, on the other hand, has an incredibly well written plot and THE best Fallout game ever released.

Fallout 4, on the other hand, is quite the opposite: as a game, there are LOTS of things to do and you have a fully open world to discover... then you have a mediocre at best plot with horrible dialogue system.

Oh, Quantic Dream's games! I love them. I still have the Press Release copy of Beyond: Two Souls, which I'm really proud of, but my favourite game from them is obviously Heavy Rain, Omikron being a close second one (fun fact: that game features music made by no one else but David Bowie).

If you liked Heavy Rain, I suggest you to try out Journey, Shadow of the Colossus, and maybe even Ori and the Blind Forest. These are also "cinematic" games with incredible soundtrack and atmosphere.

So, you'd recommend Fallout: New Vegas then?
Beyond, if I remember correctly, didn't get particularly positive reviews. Which baffles me, I thought that game was stunning!
I agree with you about Heavy Rain. I love the whole 'your actions changes the story' thing and the numerous different ending and outcomes. Makes you feel like you're more in control of the game.
Oh, I do love a good fun fact:D
And thank you for the suggestions, i'll definitely check them out:)

Indeed, but only the Game of the Year Edition (with all the Downloadable Contents), and only on PC. That's the only way that you should play that game.

The game was great, but far from perfect. Not only your choice had little to no impact in the overall gameplay, but also many people find it "confusing" because of the nonlinear storytelling. I actually enjoyed it, but it was inferior compared to the masterpiece called Heavy Rain.

If you like games where your actions changes the story, you should check out the games made by Telltale Games. The Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us, and so on. They are really similar to the scheme Quantic Dream uses.

I'm actually thinking of purchasing Life Is Strange (I know i'm late on the bandwagon)
Man, there are so many good games coming out soon. I need to get saving!

Seen your posts around here and figured i'd give you a warm welcome! :) Welcome! Perhaps we could talk gaming some time? :)

ladyforsaken said:
Hey Ben, welcome to the forum!

Hey! Thanks (again) :)

Hearted said:
Seen your posts around here and figured i'd give you a warm welcome! :) Welcome! Perhaps we could talk gaming some time? :)

Thank you so much, it is really appreciated! Sure, I'd be more than welcomed to talk about it. :)

Latest posts

Back