One positive thing you accomplished today...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheSkaFish said:
What game is the melody from, if you don't mind?

It's LISA: The Painful, an indie RPG. If I ever manage to make a solid cover of this simple one, I'll feel actually accomplished. Not just because I can only find One Direction covers when I look for the title...****. All I did now was to find the right notes to play the backing track. And my practice melody sounds nothing like it on top, it merely shares the basic notes. But it's calming to play in its simplicity.

TheSkaFish said:
Either way, it must feel nice to be hitting your stride like that, when you're practicing seriously and noticing progress. One of these days I want to set up a practice schedule so I can play every day and know I'm moving forward. I'm the kind of person that benefits more from a structured plan than to just do whatever.

Currently, I'm trying to learn the song "Lucidity" by Tame Impala. It's a guitar-driven psychedelic rock song. Another part of my problem is there's so many styles I like, some days I feel like I'd want to play punk and ska, other days grunge, other days more psychedelic, space-rock sounds. And of course I need to make more time to learn the fundamentals as well.

I have had several false starts over the years, but no consistent playing for a long time. I will play for a while, then I will start to worry about what if I just don't have the natural talent, or what if I'm starting too old to get any good, and it's all for nothing....then I put it down for a while. I need to learn to push past these episodes.

I didn't mean to mislead you or give the impression I had been playing for a long time. I wish I had, because the time I spent doubting myself passed anyway.

I don't have any real plan, but now that I actually enjoy playing since I don't take a decade to change between the basic chords and notes, it's getting easier to just pick up the guitar. Even with all your false stars you've already made miles of progress if you can attempt playing a dynamic song like the one from Tame Impala. I don't see myself playing "accelerated" songs anytime soon, I gotta work on my timing and consistent strumming technique first. Natural talent is nice, but that's probably just 20%. What really gets you forward is determination and getting over self-doubt. With that I might actually play some Stoner and Blues Rock a few years down the track.

Rodent said:
I don't have any real plan, but now that I actually enjoy playing since I don't take a decade to change between the basic chords and notes, it's getting easier to just pick up the guitar.

Oh, I definitely understand! It's so discouraging when you're trying to change chords and it's all slow and awkward. But the more you're able to do, the more you'll want to do it. I feel the same way.

Rodent said:
Even with all your false stars you've already made miles of progress if you can attempt playing a dynamic song like the one from Tame Impala. I don't see myself playing "accelerated" songs anytime soon, I gotta work on my timing and consistent strumming technique first. Natural talent is nice, but that's probably just 20%. What really gets you forward is determination and getting over self-doubt. With that I might actually play some Stoner and Blues Rock a few years down the track.

I'm really glad you think so, both about my progress and about natural talent not being the major roadblock to success. I too have to work on my timing and strumming technique too, I just thought I'd work on the song at the same time because I've heard that it helps to make you want to play to just jump in and play songs that you like, instead of just working on exercises (even though they are essential).

Anyway. I'm happy that to hear that you think talent isn't that big of a deal. That's been my main worry for so long now in everything I do, from guitar to writing to working to relationships. It's really encouraging to hear that the main factor is something we can gain.

I got my residency papers in just one hour instead of the seven/eight I was expecting
I'd be happy if I managed to write a 500 words paper proposal before 2 am, but it's early to tell

Good strumming technique comes from a circular rotation in your wrists (wish I had a video of this to show you what I mean. Are you guys using metronomes to practice much as well. I suggest doing chromatic warm ups with one in the least (if you aren't already).

I really pissed of a taxi driver at the airport in Toronto
After he had us in the car and away from the airport he told me it was flat rate to go about ten blocks ...$32

Got some nice sounds out of my pedalboard through creating some new presets on the Strymon Timeline and combining it with my Maxon AD-999. I've missed the Timeline, it's great for compositional purposes.

I oiled my wooden chopping board (it's one of my monthly household-maintenance tasks).

Before I oiled it I deep-cleaned it with lemon extract: such a nice, fresh scent!

Woke up 1.5 hours too late cause I set my phone to vibrate so there was no alarm. Still got to work on time though. The result of careful planning.

Rodent said:
Woke up 1.5 hours too late cause I set my phone to vibrate so there was no alarm. Still got to work on time though. The result of careful planning.

You had your work clothes on under your jammies, like some kind of narcoleptic superhero?

Cavey said:
You had your work clothes on under your jammies, like some kind of narcoleptic superhero?

More like work clothes over pajamas, since that would entail the typical underwear-outside super hero attire. But don't expose the great Narcoleptus, arch enemy of Insomnio. Wonder who that could be...

Rodent said:
Cavey said:

More like work clothes over pajamas, since that would entail the typical underwear-outside super hero attire. But don't expose the great Narcoleptus, arch enemy of Insomnio. Wonder who that could be...

It'd probably be me! I don't wanna be your enemy! Pick another poor sleeper...

Cavey said:
It'd probably be me! I don't wanna be your enemy! Pick another poor sleeper...

You're right, we'd make a better team. One who is constantly at low and the other who falls asleep as soon as he decides to-...*snort*.

Solved the mystery of the faulty rear brakes on my bike. The brake pads are absolutely fubar'd. But my make-shift repair should keep me from crashing into traffic till I order some new ones.

Was very close to bailing out, but i cooked a good dinner for myself and did the dishes afterwards.

Latest posts

Back