Online dating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alma lost her spoon said:
Jeez Eve it''s hard enough for me to find a bloke without you turning their heads-just you stay where you are lol

I doubt I'd do much head turning. C'mon. :p Share. lol

EveWasFramed said:
Alma lost her spoon said:
EveWasFramed said:
TheWalkingDead said:
... but where are all the SINGLE people?!

:cool: lol, they're all in the US. :p

That would explain my difficulties in finding someone here in Bonnie Scotland rightly enough! 😂

I <3 Scotland. :D Maybe I need a nice UK lad then.

me :)

Okay, it may sound pretty dumb but I'm seriously considering getting tinder. Does anybody have experience with this app? I'm quite doubtful towards it because I know for sure it will shatter the small remainder of confidence I've got in myself but then again I do hate being alone all the time.

SelfDefenseFamily said:
Okay, it may sound pretty dumb but I'm seriously considering getting tinder. Does anybody have experience with this app? I'm quite doubtful towards it because I know for sure it will shatter the small remainder of confidence I've got in myself but then again I do hate being alone all the time.
I have no idea what tinder is. But I also have never used an "app".

SelfDefenseFamily said:

My only knowledge of Tinder is that it has an established reputation for being an app where people can find casual hookups. I know that the company is trying desperately to overcome this public perception, but so far, that's how many people have used the app. Whenever I've heard people talk about Tinder, they speak of it as if it was a couple of steps away from a swingers app. It's this rep that made me avoid Tinder. I am not interested in finding a quick fling.

SelfDefenseFamily said:

Have never used Tinder.

However from what I hear it is all about physical appearances.

Here's an article about it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-wygant/the-shocking-truth-about-_3_b_4967472.html

OnlyMe said:
Have never used Tinder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-wygant/the-shocking-truth-about-_3_b_4967472.html

It's an excellent article. Here's a quote from it:

"I mean after 48 hours I felt a little uglier as a person. In fact, if I wasn't as secure as a person, or I had any issues with looks or social anxiety, 48 hours on Tinder would send me over the edge. You put a picture of yourself up, and after 48 hours, nobody finds you attractive. You've lost all your looks. You no longer have it. The world decided you're ugly.

Unless you have a very thick skin, you should stay well away from places like Tinder. They'll destroy what little confidence you have. Imagine sending out 100 hearts and not one-person contacts you back. How are you going to feel about yourself?"

And this was written by a good-looking, confident guy.

This is a warning for anyone who "thinks they can handle it."

Probably you can't. Don't do this to yourself.

Batman55 said:
OnlyMe said:
Have never used Tinder.

"I mean after 48 hours I felt a little uglier as a person. In fact, if I wasn't as secure as a person, or I had any issues with looks or social anxiety, 48 hours on Tinder would send me over the edge. You put a picture of yourself up, and after 48 hours, nobody finds you attractive. You've lost all your looks. You no longer have it. The world decided you're ugly.

Unless you have a very thick skin, you should stay well away from places like Tinder. They'll destroy what little confidence you have. Imagine sending out 100 hearts and not one-person contacts you back. How are you going to feel about yourself?"

Good post. I totally agree with the Caped Crusader on this one.

Batman55 said:

Expectation would have a lot to do with it though. Your consider yourself good-looking whereas I don’t think of myself that way at all and would be very surprised – shocked - if someone contacted me based on a photo. Curiosity would be the only reason to take part.

I always felt you are subject to that much more discrimination when you make an online profile like that. Some people would misrepresent themselves for that reason..
I prefer to meet people in real life. Which takes longer especially that I haven't been very persistent with 'love prospects' since my early 20's.

I don't get anywhere with online dating. On Plenty of Fish I wonder how many profiles are actually of real genuine people. I know for a proven fact that other sites starting with "Plenty of...." have fake profiles but I don't know about the PoF site, so I'm just speculating about that.

I've managed to meet just one person on PoF in goodness knows how many years. Hardly anyone writes to me at all, and the odd one who does just says things like "You're not my type". How the heck do they know without even knowing anything about me? It's all about looks from shallow people. I write to all sorts too without caring much about how they look or what disabilities they have. I still get nowhere apart from one time, and that flopped after the first date.

I'd rather meet people on a forum like this - But of course that's pretty much impossible too.

Zackarydoo said:
I don't get anywhere with online dating. On Plenty of Fish I wonder how many profiles are actually of real genuine people. I know for a proven fact that other sites starting with "Plenty of...." have fake profiles but I don't know about the PoF site, so I'm just speculating about that.

I've managed to meet just one person on PoF in goodness knows how many years. Hardly anyone writes to me at all, and the odd one who does just says things like "You're not my type". How the heck do they know without even knowing anything about me? It's all about looks from shallow people. I write to all sorts too without caring much about how they look or what disabilities they have. I still get nowhere apart from one time, and that flopped after the first date.

I'd rather meet people on a forum like this - But of course that's pretty much impossible too.

Plenty of fish is garbage.

Triple Bogey said:
Zackarydoo said:

Plenty of fish is garbage.

pretty much ever free dating thing is garbage. I hear that tinder is much worst even though I have never tried it. I heard that having some abs helps out a lot. I found a video on youtube where a dude got a hit on his profile.

Hi, new to the discussion so I hope I'm not intruding.

I'm a hopeless romantic at heart so I'm still (foolishly) holding on to the hope that I'd meet that special someone serendipitously at the market or in a cafe. But I have dabbled in online dating several years ago to mixed results. I met the girl I had the longest relationship with (3 1/2 years) to a now defunct website called Findapix. It ultimately ended because we were just at different points in our lives and I had a whole slew of personal demons to fight.

I've been on OKCupid a few years ago which wasn't very successful. I haven't seriously considered joining a site like match.com but maybe I will. It's not that I am overwhelmed by loneliness, it's just I'm finding it hard to connect with people even with such a big pool of single females to work with living in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I don't know, you the hear the success stories but it's not my personal experience.

Match.com does not have enough variables and choices when it come sto listing interests, etc.
The options are so generic.
There is no choice to include or mention other things (cause, like the Kinks tune goes, "I'm Not Like Everybody Else")
unless you scribe something in your introduction.
After looking at my supposed "matches" I realize it is a waste of time and effort to initiate contact.
OK Cupid is a much better platform, and at least I can sort / search / match with like-minded ladies.
Whether they reply or not is another deal entirely.

I recently saw that even whackjob Charlie Manson has a lady in his life, at 80 years of age. His girl is 26 and agreed to marry him.
I truly have no hope....

ABrokenMan said:
I recently saw that even whackjob Charlie Manson has a lady in his life, at 80 years of age. His girl is 26 and agreed to marry him.
I truly have no hope....

Oh please, a groupie going after an infamous guy so she gets attention. I would hardly say that means you have no hope.

Latest posts

Back