Online Dating?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainbows said:
TheRealCallie said:
but because I do not want to date...at all.

Aw, shucks!
Missed my chance, clearly.

Hey! I was there first.

With Callie, I'm using the "siege" tactic. Maybe if I annoy her long enough, she'll cave in and give me one date out of pity ;-)

Red_Wedding_Casualty said:
TheRealCallie said:
No, I'm talking about like instead of saying you are a taxi driver or uber driver, say you are a chauffeur.  That is not a lie, it just sounds a little better than saying you drive a taxi.

That's great and all, but there comes a point where you can't hide behind embelishment, and at some point, she's gonna find out that chauffeur really means taxi driver. Way I see it, it's far better to be upfront about these things so a potential partner knows exactly what they're getting themselves into before investing time.

I'm not saying keep the embellishment going forever, just enough to get you in the door and then you can tell him/her you are a taxi driver.  But you just told people to lie, so I'm a little confused about you saying it's better to be up front.

You know, and this is completely aside, I never knew what an oxymoron is.
Too lazy to google the definition, so I instead always assumed it meant a "super moron".
Which, of course, in this context, makes no sense. I'm still going with it. Apparently asexuals are super morons.

:D :D :D

I think my main frustration with online dating is not getting replies. I get ignored just like in real life dating.

Or, also, you can try and put it in your profile lol.
I'd try that. Something like "I got into online dating because I'm sick of online dating; I'm tired of not getting replies, as such, if you reply, I'll make it worth your while. Romantic evening. McDonalds. My treat" or something. ;-)

Sometimes, instead of staying in the box, trying something completely out of it may lead to surprising results. I know for me, the forums on dating sites were much better than the actual dating sites.

Muse said:
I think my main frustration with online dating is not getting replies. I get ignored just like in real life dating.

I tend to not reply. I get bored/ lonely, decide to see what's near me, swipe away for a little bit then forget about the apps for a week. Later I check back with a few matches and messages. 90% of them I ignore and a few I talk to for a bit then usually exchange numbers. Eventually the internal dialogue kicks in. "Do I really want to try to take time out to go out with this complete stranger? What are the chances I'm going to waste my time? Let's say it actually does go well, do I really have the time and energy to keep something going? I already know I'm just one of many options for this other person. Do I want to put all of that effort in knowing that I could be replaced at any time? What are the actual chances that it ends up worth all of the effort?" Usually at that point I stop putting any further effort into any conversation or plans of meeting. Since I'm just one option of many, things usually fizzle immediately after that point. It has nothing to do with the other person. Most people actually seem pretty cool. It's all just me and my own reasons for ignoring.

There was a short period where I was really gung-ho and talking to people and spending a lot of my day on those apps. In the end though it always came down to "fresia. Do I REALLY want to go through all this effort?" That period only last a few weeks before I had my answer.

I've probably hit the breaking point when it comes to futile efforts/ being taken for granted. It's to the point where, if the other person isn't close already or is a stranger, they would have to really pursue things for me to consider giving it a try. Big difference from just a couple years ago but you could say I've adapted from experience.

This is all probably a reason why I don't like using the apps much anymore. I feel bad ignoring people and I don't think its very sincere to be on there if you are going to have doubts about whether or not you actually want to be there in the first place. I know 99% of people don't care about being ignored but I'm sure there is that 1% that was really hoping to talk to me.

Red_Wedding_Casualty said:
TheRealCallie said:
No, I'm talking about like instead of saying you are a taxi driver or uber driver, say you are a chauffeur.  That is not a lie, it just sounds a little better than saying you drive a taxi.

That's great and all, but there comes a point where you can't hide behind embelishment, and at some point, she's gonna find out that chauffeur really means taxi driver. Way I see it, it's far better to be upfront about these things so a potential partner knows exactly what they're getting themselves into before investing time.

... first you encourage lying, now honesty.

ardour said:
... first you encourage lying, now honesty.

I encouraged nothing. At least not intentionally. What I did, was merely state my failure with honesty, and compared it to the success of others with lying. The conclusion I've come to, is that it seems that in order to have any success in the realm of online dating, then one has to be willing to bend the truth, or even blatantly lie. 

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

Muse said:

Same here. Or the only replies I do get start asking for money pretty quickly, because their cat swallowed a piano, or half their family have all recently died in a freak smiling accident or something and they need money to claim their inheritance. They are pretty easy to spot really. Thing is, they are also the only people I get to talk with.

Richard_39 said:
Or, also, you can try and put it in your profile lol.
I'd try that. Something like "I got into online dating because I'm sick of online dating; I'm tired of not getting replies, as such, if you reply, I'll make it worth your while. Romantic evening. McDonalds. My treat" or something. ;-)

I've actually already tried something like that. I don't know if it helps much lol.

kamya said:
I tend to not reply.

Yeah, I think many people are like you and just aren't that serious about online dating.

So my experiences with online dating can both be bad as well as good. Even though I am still married (Seperated) I have met some very wonderful people over the internet and most of the time none of them seemed to click with me or things just for some reason in my life didn't make it possible because after all I am not ready even though I feel single. 

There are still steps to go through as far as getting a divorce, but I wouldn't rule it out because there are people who you can get to know very well as I think a lot of people forget to do, they just jump into the dating scene without ever being a friend. I used to play a game for years called Second Life, it is a social game and it can be nice  depending on if you find someone near your area, but I never really found much excitement with it, people were too fake and it seemed to really be hard meeting someone who was genuine. 

I wouldn't say that online dating is not possible as it is, but I think you really have to go through a lot to meet the right one, kind of like real life. Recently I posted on another pen pal website and really wasn't having any luck, but then someone happened to email me. 

Now this may sound crazy and some of you are probably going to laugh, but honestly it is the best thing to happen to me in a long long time. Again don't poke fun at me because I was not expecting to meet someone who had such a strong faith as I do, that's something to me that is very important, something my soon to be ex and me didn't seem to agree on as well as many other things. 

This woman I met is 38, not only is she beautiful and very sweet but she's also and get this lol A NUN. Now, for those of you who really don't know too much about it, yes they can leave the convent if they wish to. It's kind of a long process in a way like divorce is. You basically make a vow and an oath to Jesus and getting out of that takes some time. She has a large family and all of her sisters are married, it has been a thing that she has been wanting for a long time to find someone that she can love. 

At this stage we are getting to know each other, we email daily as well as chat on skype or facebook. So it is possible and there of course are success stories. I have plenty of time before I would meet her, but also when that time comes after leaving the convent she would have no where to go, well I am sure we will have known each other for a long time and when that time comes I would be happy to have her with me. Getting a divorce first is crucial as I don't want to do it all backwards, that can probably spell disaster.

As far as trying to lie about yourself or try to make up things DON'T. The best way that you can stand out among other guys is to really be yourself, don't try to impress anyone, and don't use pick up lines because that just makes you look like an idiot in my opinion. 

I know at this point I never imagined I would be in contact with someone thinking about our future together, but it does happen, maybe not to all but never give up is all I can say. What I can suggest more than anything is be friends first as how I am with her, the longer you are a friend the smoothing things can go. 

She is also from the Philippines so it's a long ways away but we seem to make it work, so anything is possible and it's never too far to find someone.

My advice is probably a bit on the crazy side. I guess I'm coming at this from an Australian - or at least non-American - point of view.

I have been around. I've been married, divorced, several long term relationships, the works. Yet, at age 47, I can honestly tell you I have never been on a date. Not once. The entire dating thing has always struck me as being a little contrived and teenagerish. Adult human beings - in this part of the world, at least - tend to just fall into relationships.

I have seen online dating sites. They are awful. Every profile is the same. I can only handle so much in the way of walks along the beach, y'know? But I have met two partners online. Just not dating sites, but friendships that developed. One on ICQ (remember that?) years ago, and the other on Facebook.

TheLoadedDog said:
My advice is probably a bit on the crazy side.  I guess I'm coming at this from an Australian - or at least non-American - point of view.  

I have been around.  I've been married, divorced, several long term relationships, the works.  Yet, at age 47, I can honestly tell you I have never been on a date.  Not once.   The entire dating thing has always struck me as being a little contrived and teenagerish.   Adult human beings - in this part of the world, at least - tend to just fall into relationships.

I have seen online dating sites.  They are awful.  Every profile is the same.  I can only handle so much in the way of walks along the beach, y'know?  But I have met two partners online.  Just not dating sites, but friendships that developed.   One on ICQ (remember that?) years ago, and the other on Facebook.

LD, I could have written this myself.  Like you, I've been in my share of relationships, although never married/divorced (could have been married twice, but probably would have ended up in divorce, but I saw that being a possibility and ended both relationships) but I have to agree with your outlook on dating sites - a lot of the ads are cookie cutter and some have the most unrealistic wants/needs in a partner that it makes your eyes roll.

And please spare the "works hard but plays harder, walks on the beach and candlelit dinners" cliches.  Hell, if that were the case there would 40lbs of beach sand scattered inside the beachside restaurants, but I digress.

All of my relationships were from getting the know the person and it just blossomed.  Never went on a first or blind date in my life and am convinced it will never happen.  Who wants the nervous tension that would be involved?  The best ones are the ones that just evolve. Like you said, LD, you just fall into them.

As for ICQ, loved it.  Met some of the most interesting women from there (dare I say mostly Canadian women...in my opinion, they are at the top of the list) and can say that two out of possibly the five women I've ever had insane chemistry with, were from ICQ.  One, I still think about from time to time and I haven't seen her in 15+ years and it started from a random message she sent me.

I miss the ICQ days. That thing got my sorry arse on a plane from Sydney to Hong Kong. I can just hear that little "uh oh" new message sound. :)

Love the restaurants full of sand imagery too. Heheheh.

LMAO...it took my ass from Florida to Canada...twice!!  I actually have that "uh oh" sound on my phone for my email notification.  Didn't like it when I first joined, but you get used to it and then for years I missed it after the internet went to hell and took ICQ with it.  RIP ICQ...best messenger service ever.

Latest posts

Back