Optimism.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wolfshadow

I've hogged rather a lot of thread space today so I promise to make this my last contribution for....well at least for another 12 hours, even I require sleep sometimes.

A question that's been needling me today is as follows; "why is it so bloomin difficult to be optimistic"?

To some, such as my well meaning but incorrigibly loud sister, no matter how grim the past and present may appear it seems to do nothing to budge her unwavering conviction that the future is something to look foward to with abject relish. It never ceases to amaze me and it's probably no coincidence that she also has many good friends.

From my point of view, it seems almost superhuman that someone can be so persistantly optimistic and I keep wondering whether it's real or simply an impenatrable wall of denial constructed to fortify one from bleak reality.

Look at how cynical and jaded I have become, how religously I cling to the reasons why things can't or won't happen and how I reflexively dismiss self belief as delusional. As I said in the very first post I ever submitted this is because I have always been a "defeatist".

When I was a little boy, certain things came very easily to me; reading, writing and drawing for example. I became far too complacent and as time passed, began to neglect my schooling. The praise I received as a junior was quite detrimental to my modesty, as far as I was concerned I had been blessed with a modcum of intellegence and I had nothing else to prove. I was also quite sure that I could play catch up any time I so chose. In effect, academically speaking, I had developed a strain of the "bully complex" meaning that I was so overconfident in my abilities that I thought the tasks set by my tutors were superfluous nonsense.
Predictably, what entailed was that I went from being a reasonably gifted student to someone who had been well overtaken by the masses. In a fashion consistent with the "bully" mentality, when I began to realise how badly I was doing, rather than gritting my teeth and gutting it out, I simply gave up trying.

Unfortunately this pattern has manifested itself throughout my adult life; adversity equals rapid ignominious exit. A grave fear of the humiliation of trying and failing. But what really could be more humiliating than a man in his prime years having to sleep on the sofas of reletives because he hasn't got the resources to put a roof over his own head? In earnest, very little.

That ladies and gents is where my pessimism has landed me. Granted there are many other associated problems that I've picked up along the way but I feel sure that many of them would not have become material if I had just plucked up the balls and energy to make a real stab at doing something (if you're reading through this now please don't misconstrue it as a tale of recrimination or of self hatred, it is neither. I'm actually in a pretty good frame of mind, possibly the most enervated I've been for a very long time).

It's still not too late for things to be reversed for me or for anyone who is approximately close to my kind of situation and I refuse to believe otherwise but how....where do you begin to find the will?

Finding the will - that's the question, isn't it.

I've found that I can generally accomplish the things I put my mind to if I'm really driven to do so. But the real challenges of life - career and the like - these things require what seems like iron will to achieve.

I'd like to draw inspiration from the people and friends in my life, but they're really not around so often. They've all got their own lives. But other people is what I really care about.

What I DO draw inspiration from is the sense of bitterness that I have of all the joy that I've been deprived of living as a loner all these years and the desire to somehow get even. Warm and heartfelt, I know.

I have to believe that we become optimists and pessimists early on. It's a kind of conditioned response. Obviously people warmed up to your sister early on; she found that if she was smiley and friendly all the time that people returned the favor. I, on the other hand, got the cold shoulder much of the time when I did approach people, and learned to expect the worst. And once you get into these behavior patterns as a kid, they become pretty tough to change.

At a certain point it's almost like you've got to wear a dark grey L for Loner.

You already have the will.

Some people ask for that power from a higher source or a Higher Power.
In eastern beliefs it's the belive of a Higher Self.

Some poeple thinks it's the law of the universe...you only need to align yourself to it , tap into it, or plug into it.
This power exist for anyone and everyone who wish to use it...it dose not dicriminate nor care if it's use for goodwill or illwill.
Such as Hilter or Alexiander.
Hilter simply tapped into that power and used it for his purpose.

If i have the power of mess up my life...surely I have the power to live it in a healthier manner.
I went to great length to mess up my life and it's didn't happened over night.
As you stated..the aversity I endured.

Forgiving myself is a son of *****.
Letting go of my past is not easy.
Making changes in my life is not easy

Self discipline...doing simple exsercises and pushing myself a little further each day...inspite of some pains.
This helps build and experice my selfesteen. I experince what it is to go againts the grain to wanting to
give up...but pushing myself forward...taking more steps. This also exsercise my mind.

Making myself read...is another form of dicipline...I decipline myself to read for an hour no matter what..
My mind and body wants to wander...but I lead myself back to reading.

Dream BIG..BIG..BIG....becuase I messed up BIG...BIG..BIG already.
Have goals...lots of them...hundreds to thousands...anything and everythig you want out of life.

Talk to myself...negocitate with myself...challenge myself..In other words have a relationship with myself.
Love myself..take care of myself.
Take simple steps.

Yes , I'M living with my parents again too...it totally sucks fucken ass..I had my own home and whatever
material belongingS. It fustrates me sometimes...but I can't afford to sink anymore. I've been there and
done that...I know what if feels like to be in that pit of dispair...I'm not going back there..in that state
of being or mind set.

I take care of my living area.
I'm greatful for what I have.
I do all the shores aroud the house to earn my keep.
I do the best with what I have.
I do something everyday that is positive for me.
I don't beat up on myself no matter what.
I ignore anyone that's has anything negative in my life today....I'm done with that honeysuckle..I've have had enough.
I educate myself. Read, write, reaserch...anything, any subject I find interesting to me or i think will benifit me.

I've accomplished many things since I've been here also. I need to give myself more credit.

Inspite of fucken everything...all the fucken chaos..the deaths ..the lost hopes...the lost dreams,
the fucken pains, the sorrows, the suffering...the insanity..all the fucken tears..all the sleepless nights
My ass fell off many, many times.

I hurt so god **** much anyways...I might as will make good out of it..

I pick my ass up over and over again no matter times my ass fell off.
I didn't pick up and used drugs or drank over any of it...
I loved myself through it all...
I hold my head up high inspite of it all whether I think or feel lik I have the will or not.

I'M NEVER TOO OLD TO LIVE AND LOVE...IT'S ONLY TOO LATE IS WHEN I'M FUCKEN DEAD !!!!

Latest posts

Back