People interested in serial killers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lady X said:
Currently I'm reading "Depraved: The definitive true story of H.H Holmes, whose grotesque crimes shattered turn-if-the-century Chicago" by Harold Schechter.

Schechter also has decent books on Albert Fish and on Ed Gein.

Rosebolt said:
Yeah i know of it. I've seen the entire video of them mutilating the old man, nasty stuff.

What i find interesting is their motive. They were simply wanting to conquer their fears. The third guy, that attaché, had a fear of heights, i think another one of them shared the fear, so they conquered that fear by going to really high buildings and such. They also had a fear of blood, so they conquered that fear in the way that most people know of.

All subjective morality aside, they were strong people, proponents of natural selection. I relate to them quite a bit, as i do with some others, however, i don't share their ideas of how to conquer fears, i prefer doing that on my own, without bothering people around me, let alone murdering them.

You're obsessed with the minds of the killers, admire their 'strength', their willingness to ignore boundaries and taboos, are prepared to watch sick videos out of curiosity...

ffs...get help.

rdor said:
You're obsessed with the minds of the killers, admire their 'strength', their willingness to ignore boundaries and taboos, are prepared to watch sick videos out of curiosity...

ffs...get help.

I'm very sorry i don't conform to your close minded social standards.

rdor said:
Rosebolt said:
Yeah i know of it. I've seen the entire video of them mutilating the old man, nasty stuff.

What i find interesting is their motive. They were simply wanting to conquer their fears. The third guy, that attaché, had a fear of heights, i think another one of them shared the fear, so they conquered that fear by going to really high buildings and such. They also had a fear of blood, so they conquered that fear in the way that most people know of.

All subjective morality aside, they were strong people, proponents of natural selection. I relate to them quite a bit, as i do with some others, however, i don't share their ideas of how to conquer fears, i prefer doing that on my own, without bothering people around me, let alone murdering them.

ffs...get help.

I think it would be you needing help.

Us that can watch these things, take interest in the minds & motives of serial killers are a lot more strong minded than those who can't watch it.

We don't act on it, we don't think it's fun, it doesn't turn us on, it's just interesting.

Yes I find the cases interesting (The psychology behind them-What makes them tick, how they became that way in the first places and their punishments etc). I used to watch a lot of real Crime programs on Youtube but I've practically seen them all and from time to time I enjoy reading books about them.

Legato said:

Us that can watch these things, take interest in the minds & motives of serial killers are a lot more strong minded than those who can't watch it.

We don't act on it, we don't think it's fun, it doesn't turn us on, it's just interesting.

So you have some juvenile fascination with serial killers....clappy clappy. Desensitized isn't strong btw.

There’s nothing interesting about impotent losers who gain what sense of power and control they can get by degrading others. Like the adult equivalent of little boys torturing pets. Their motivation is their inability to function normally. And there's probably some kind of damage to the frontal lobes.

rdor said:
There’s nothing interesting about impotent losers who gain what sense of power and control they can get by degrading others. Like the adult equivalent of little boys torturing pets. Their motivation is their inability to function normally. And there's probably some kind of damage to the frontal lobes.

Just thought that's worthy of a quote.

rdor said:
Legato said:

So you have some juvenile fascination with serial killers....clappy clappy. Desensitized isn't strong btw.

"clappy clappy"

What a gardenia you are.

If you're not interested in the topic, keep shut

rdor said:
Legato said:

maybe in this thread.. the above comment is controversial and some may find it insulting.
but that doesn't mean it's not true or relevant to this topic.
I was going to say something along the same line until I read that.
+1

Rosebolt said:
... It's a rare thing, and pretty much impossible to talk about mostly.

Considering the amount of books, movies and TV on horror, crime, profiling, forensics and law enforcement, i found that to be a puzzling statement. I think i understand it better now.

rdor said:
Legato said:

Actually, its not just about the killers themselves. When you read about a serial killer you are reading about an individual that is incredibly messed up, but you're often actually just reading about a creature that is simply the pinnacle of the society in which they live. Serial killers are interesting to me as they are the "true" product of their inhabited society. When you take a human being with no boundaries, and they learn and grow within a certain time and place, they become the ultimate representation of that culture and time.

Yes its warped and twisted, but if anything, that just tells us how warped and twisted that society actually is.

Would Jack the Ripper have killed who and how he did if he wasn't a product of a time where medical experimentation and "quackery" were rife, aristocracy and titles were untouchable and the poor (especially women) were so unprovided for that alcoholic prostitutes in seedy slums were ten-a-penny, viewed as subhuman and completely unprotected?

Would H.H.Holmes have been able to kill so many women (many his wives) if he was not a product of a time where a woman was nothing if unmarried by a certain age, where all of her possessions and her very being became her husbands property at the moment he married her? So many quick marriages under so many aliases and in so many locations to otherwise smart women who had inherited money shows just how vital a husband was to have any social status and how easily a man could "take" a woman in this manner and dispatch of her soon after just to take her possessions. Add this to a rapidly expanding USA and a public ideal of the American Dream to "get rich quick" and a man appearing from nowhere with money isn't questioned but celebrated, marrying a local girl with a bit of money where the law then gave him everything as his own and whisking her away never to be seen again and not an eyelid batted.

Would Harold Shipman have been able to kill over 260 of his patients if he was not a product of a society where a doctors word was trusted and largely unquestionable, and where an increasingly elderly population requiring constant care are viewed as a burden and where families leave the care of them to medical and care professionals alone and take a back seat. Where nobody seeks to question the death of an lonely older person until finally he started forging wills and something that DID actually matter to people -money- became involved?

I will agree that there is an interest for me about what makes a serial killer tick - its a curiosity of psychology and biology about how a human being can become so unhinged and detached from "morality".

But its also a sociological curiosity. It isn't just about what the crimes of a serial killer says about them, its what they also say about US and our attitudes at the time that enable serial killers to actually kill the type of people and the number of people that they eventually do.

So actually, its incredibly interesting.

Minus said:
Considering the amount of books, movies and TV on horror, crime, profiling, forensics and law enforcement, i found that to be a puzzling statement. I think i understand it better now.

Well, yeah, but even on this forum there are replies such as, well, you know which ones i mean.

Every time we hear about things like kidnapping and sex slavery or some nutter who raped his victims bodies then ate them, it's like what's wrong with society, what's producing them? As if everyone must share in the blame somehow. I really hate that. Interesting is how victims are made available to them (lady x.) Interesting is the power certain influences have over growing minds. But I don't see why there's got to be something complex about the resulting person. After all they're feeding straightforward basic desires we all share; power, excitement, sexual gratification, but do it in depraved ways.
Legato said:
What a gardenia you are.

If you're not interested in the topic, keep shut

okay strong minded one, all yours.

Censure will not stop murderers.

Awareness of who becomes a murderer/how they operate may protect potential victims though.

I've always been interested into true crime and horror movies about serial killers.

Black Dahlia and Jack The Ripper started it out for me. It's something I've always found to be very interesting too. When most people hear I'm interested into true crime or serial killers people tend to give me weird stares. I guess they just don't understand, but it's really interesting to read about. :)

Lady X said:
Gimme a decent docu on some older cases like HH Holmes (PLEASE SOMEONE) or Mary Ann Cotton... Or if it must be 20thC+, Chikatilo, Lake and Ng, South Americans like "la bestia" (Garavito) and "The monster of the Andes" (Pedro Alonzo Lopez and his buddy), "The Chessboard killer" (Pichuskin)

If anyone wants to share any documentaries or book recommendations, please message me.

Currently I'm reading "Depraved: The definitive true story of H.H Holmes, whose grotesque crimes shattered turn-if-the-century Chicago" by Harold Schechter.

It's a really good book about my all-time favourite serial killer, H.H Holmes.

I was planning to read this whole thread before responding but OMG! H.H. HOLMES!! Soooooo fascinating. So much.

I've been interested in Elizabeth Bathory for years now. She was a countess that used to bathe in the blood of virgin young girls to "preserve her youth". It is said she tortured and murdered over 600 girls... I find her story fascinating but there is little information about her. And she only had one portrait in her whole life...

There are plenty of historical novels based on her, yet I only found one pseudo-biographical book, "Countess Dracula". I often wonder why she isn't as famous as Dracula. She and Vlad the Impaler would have hit it off for sure.

Latest posts

Back