Perfect example of how society feels about beauty (or lack of)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solivagant said:
^ This was an interesting one too:

[align=center][video=youtube]

It just goes to show that you cannot believe everything you see. Kudos to the girl in the video for being willing to participate. I can't imagine that such manipulation is helping the youth of today in any way - it's just giving both sides unrealistic expectations.

A little depressing but I see what it's about.

Cavey said:
It just goes to show that you cannot believe everything you see. Kudos to the girl in the video for being willing to participate. I can't imagine that such manipulation is helping the youth of today in any way - it's just giving both sides unrealistic expectations.

That's the sad thing; Since the advancement of Photoshop and other editing software (Not to mention hardware) this kind of thing is becoming easier and more common than ever, and the newer generation being brought up around all this honeysuckle have the worst distortion of all, combine that with the anonymity of the internet (along with the difficult management of information, as I've mentioned before) and this is the result.

lonelyfairy said:
^ Also this one is a good one.

[video=youtube]

Wow! ****! That's powerful. It made me cry. Both my kids have/had terrible acne. Nothing really works on it. They are both beautiful. My daughter took it worse than my son. She wouldn't go to school if she didn't have her cover-up on.

Funny, when the video started, what I thought was, ****, she's beautiful! Yeah I saw the acne, but so what? But I know random people are nasty. Heck, my Dad used to get death threats when he got his letters to the editor printed in the newspaper!

Solivagant said:
LonelyInAtl said:
And people still say looks aren't important. ROFLMAO

LonelyInAtl said:
However, it shows how much emphasis society places on looks and conforming to social norms.

LonelyInAtl said:
In most cases, looks are required to even get someone to consider you as a romantic interest.

LonelyInAtl said:
I'm sure all of us have good qualities inside. However, others must get past the outside to see them. That's the crux of the matter. I have qualities that I've been told would make women line up at my door, but it requires them to get past the pitted exterior.

However, these qualities never get a chance to show themselves because I'm prejudged by my lack of looks and automatically dismissed or friend-zoned.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you believe the links in your original post are even evidence of this. As I said in my last post, it seems that most of the nasty comments are coming from men (and not to mention on Reddit, which is rather notorious for its scumbag population). If it's women you want to be attractive to, then why do you even care what those guys have to say about the guy in the picture, especially when they're motivated by jealousy and bitterness? I'd think your focus would be more on the girlfriend's opinion, which she has made abundantly clear. If anything I see this "example" as being evidence of the very opposite of what you are trying to claim.

It's evidenced by the remarks. I'm not saying that looks are the first thing to EVERYONE, but to the VAST, VAST majority you are judged on looks first. I think the couple in question is a 1 in <insert unimaginably large number here> situation.

Batman55 said:
Credentials don't always enter into it. I've known guys who barely have ANY college education who have relationships; some of these *same* guys aren't socially fluent either, some tend to be passive, some aren't great looking, some work low-paying retail jobs.

It's really a complex interaction of factors. Looks do matter, but equally as important is how you carry yourself.. how comfortable you are in your own skin. If you have trouble with those things, then of course, it will be unusually hard for you to get the object of your desire.

Aren't great looking is still better than being told you're ugly....

At least if someone told me that I was ugly, I'd know they weren't liars. Seriously, I'm not a pretty girl. Don't care if I am or not. Being pretty doesn't clean the house, do the laundry, wash the dishes, feed the dogs, or anything else I would have to do on a daily basis. So I couldn't care less if I were anyone's standard of beauty.

I was about to say these videos mean nothing but then I said wait a minute, let me watch that one with the lady with the make-up and that really got to me. The courage that woman had doing that video was impressive. I just do not understand why people are so mean when there is no reason to.

FYI, I was not about to watch that video that was 1:40 minutes long. No way.

LonelyInAtl said:

Almost anyone can be "average" or "not great looking but not unattractive" with a little elbow grease, physical fitness, and such.

Batman55 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

Almost anyone can be "average" or "not great looking but not unattractive" with a little elbow grease, physical fitness, and such.

Right. Some new clothes, new haircut, etc.

TheRealCallie said:
VanillaCreme said:
Seriously, I'm not a pretty girl.

I think you are. :club:

You're just as sweet as cherry pie.

images

Sometimes said:
lonelyfairy said:
^ Also this one is a good one.

[video=youtube]

Wow! ****! That's powerful. It made me cry. Both my kids have/had terrible acne. Nothing really works on it. They are both beautiful. My daughter took it worse than my son. She wouldn't go to school if she didn't have her cover-up on.

Funny, when the video started, what I thought was, ****, she's beautiful! Yeah I saw the acne, but so what? But I know random people are nasty. Heck, my Dad used to get death threats when he got his letters to the editor printed in the newspaper!

Aww! It's a powerful video, I agree... She's beautiful. I'm sorry to hear that your kids suffer from acne. They are beautiful and precious even with it! :) I've had horrible acne in high school, but it slowly healed by itself. People can be really mean and cruel, it can be shocking. I'm sorry your dad experienced that. *hugs*

At least they have a sense of humour and that's a really good thing in a relationship (well to me anyway)

I have two "yelp" profiles. One I just grabbed a photo of a model to be the photo. I assumed everyone would KNOW it was a model. It is a very photo shopped photo. The other profile... photo of a kid ugly crying.

What yelp profile do you think gets tons of compliments? Humn

Lonely Sutton,I do agree that we do tend to live in a society that is about looks,it's one of the reasons why I don't have a dating profile or won't put up a picture of myself. People go on first impressions a lot of the time,there is evidence to support this,and on a profile people don't get to see your personality,they get a picture and if they like what they see then they read on. I'm not very photogenic,I get complimented a fair bit in real life which I am always surprised by but I it takes a while for me to put up a picture of myself. So yes it wouldn't surprise me that a positive picture of the model does get more a positive reaction.

Latest posts

Back