plant-gatherers ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the lurk

Reaction score
Hi , I'm a college student who has an interest in botany and wild herbs. I was wondering if there are any other people on this site who share my interest? It'd be nice to hear about others' experiences from past foraging or plant-hunting. You can send me a PM if you'd like. Thanks.

hmm about time I took some interest in studying botany. Never been tooo much into it but it always made me wonder how many varieties of plants and herbs are in this world which are capable of curing many diseases. its truly a miracle.a

There's one herb I'm particularly interested in which I doubt you'll find in many botanical gardens.

Hey Lurk.

i do not know by far enough about this to be considered in any way serious, but it is a gradually developing interest to me.

what kind of things grow where you are?

@ Sanal
Yes , a lot of medicines used nowadays are derived from plants with a past history of medicinal value. Aspirin for example, was originally taken out of the bark of willow trees. And thymol, the active ingredient in antiseptic mouthwashes can be found in varieties of wild mint. Some of which are numerous at this time of year.

@ dead
I live in the "coastal plains," lots of oaks and mesquites. Springtime means that many things can be found. Here's a website that lists (on the right) the things found here: http://houstonwildedibles.blogspot.com/2007/06/old-riley-fuzzelpeckinpaugh-nature.html

Hedeoma drummondii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeoma_drummondii is a nice one as well

I read somewhere that them botanists discovered a plant or some sea weed stuff which can cure HIV

I'm interested in it, and I know a bit about what's good for curing what, but I've just barely scratched the surface of it...

It's one of those things I'd be willing to learn more and take part in, if it wasn't going to be such an endeavor to find a teacher and take so much effort to get started with. For now I just don't have the time.

Mysis said:
I'm interested in it, and I know a bit about what's good for curing what, but I've just barely scratched the surface of it...

It's one of those things I'd be willing to learn more and take part in, if it wasn't going to be such an endeavor to find a teacher and take so much effort to get started with. For now I just don't have the time.

It's simple, just move to Houston and the lurk will teach you :D

Oh I was hoping you meant for identification/general knowledge purposes.
I can't get up enough energy to cook, so foraging for ingredients first is definitely out.

Latest posts

Back