Players

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiCowboy

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what are everyone's opinions about guys who fit the player mold. Okay, I'm 53, and being an old fart probably affects how I view the tactics of younger men. Not that we older guys can't be players, but the moves have certainly changed over the years. At least, as far as I can remember. (That part-timers is kickin' in. ;) ) I work with a twenty-five year old guy who's a good person. He's a player and proud of it. I've seen him in action, and it looks so childish to me. So phony. But it works. He exudes tons of confidence, but the words and tone make me think, "You gotta be kidding!?"

How do you ladies view men who are players?

ChiCowboy said:
I'm just wondering what are everyone's opinions about guys who fit the player mold. Okay, I'm 53, and being an old fart probably affects how I view the tactics of younger men. Not that we older guys can't be players, but the moves have certainly changed over the years. At least, as far as I can remember. (That part-timers is kickin' in. ;) ) I work with a twenty-five year old guy who's a good person. He's a player and proud of it. I've seen him in action, and it looks so childish to me. So phony. But it works. He exudes tons of confidence, but the words and tone make me think, "You gotta be kidding!?"

How do you ladies view men who are players?

Lol yeah i know what you mean. Im only 24 but i dont have "tactic's" on picking up women. Its not genuine it is phony as you said, it is basically lying to get someone to like you... how pathetic. Sounds to me like this person you speak of thinks himself as a pickup artist, sounds to me like he most likey uses pickup artist type moves to get women and he probably uses it on specific types of women... its usually so obvious when a guy does this and i think most intelligent women will be able to tell when a guy does this.

When i see girls fall for guys who do this it just makes me want to shake my head or roll my eyes... maybe both at the same time. lol :p

ShybutHi said:
it just makes me want to shake my head or roll my eyes... maybe both at the same time. lol :p

If you did both at the same time, i'd consider you very talented. :)

ShybutHi said:
he probably uses it on specific types of women...

What types of women? o.o Dumb blondes?

SophiaGrace said:
Define "Player".

Are you talking about that Pick Up Artist honeysuckle?
Yep.

SophiaGrace said:
Intelligent blondes want to get laid, too. :D

Dumb or not, the ones who fall for these lines are definitely easy (or desperate). But yeah, that's my opinion as well; not a whole lot going on upstairs.

I can't see myself saying some of the things I hear other guys say. I try to be witty, not macho or phony, and it usually works just fine for me. I guess when I'm in that mood/mode, I'm a player as well, just a different type.

I could categorize the friend I'm speaking of as part of the hip-hop scene, if that makes sense. He gets lots of action, but it just astounds me how it works so well. Maybe I'm just too old. :D

SophiaGrace said:
If you did both at the same time, i'd consider you very talented. :)

lol Soph :p

SophiaGrace said:

Yes it probably, unfortunatly, works mainly on the "Dumb" ones whether they are blonde or not. :p

Thing is if a women is a pick up artist it will work on men whether they are intelligent or not. Haha :p

ShybutHi said:
Thing is if a women is a pick up artist it will work on men whether they are intelligent or not. Haha :p
It doesn't matter if she tries picking you up. If she's picked up her mattress, and is following you around with it, you've got a keeper. :D

"Players" are wannabes. I'm attracted to people who are confident (self-assured). Good grooming is essential but looks are not. A person's content of character is critical. Financial assets are always a plus (poverty sucks). "Players" are phoney losers. LG:)

Players are doing exactly what their name says. They're ******* around, not taking their life seriously. They're playing and manipulating women who are easy or desperate or sad.

Real men don't need "moves" or pick-up lines to get a woman. They just do it.

Badjedidude said:
Real men don't need "moves" or pick-up lines to get a woman. They just do it.

^________________^ Thank you for saying that. It's the truth!! :rolleyes:

This is the totally wrong forum to ask this kind of thing. But I will try.

I think there is a paradox here:
1) The people who are self confident, talkative and who have good social skills are often manipulative of those around them and unthinking. For them since they tend to talk so much, they spend alot less time thinking, which is not necessarily always bad. They get themselves out alot and meet a lot of possible mates which is good, however I doubt they have the sense of contemplation to pick a good life partner out of their many possible mates. They are good at doing, being on autopilot, but often weak at serious reflection. Even the pickup community readily admits that women who are more attractive, a 10, tend to have less developed personalities, since they never needed this development. Guys will accept any garbage and bad habits that comes with their body, so why would most of them need a developed personality! They know this, that is why such women often give "honeysuckle tests" to make men jump through hoops for them. Yet most highly sociable men would prefer such women over say a librarian.

2) Lonely people, like those on this forum often live inside their own heads, where they tend to construct whole worlds and fanciful artifices in their isolation. A good case in point is the unrealistic replies in this thread. The forumers replying seem caught up in the fake notion of romantic love peculiar to our society and believe that this metaphysical notion is inherently real. Thus to them players and pickup artists are cheaters against an ideal that does not exist. It is better to just ignore this concept totally, since it is hokum. What you need to do is get out, circulate like the players and Pickup artists you decry, but with the goal of finding hopefully a good life partner. Someone who can elevate your being, who you can stand living together with, and can stick with for years. In other words forget the fake metaphysical ideal of love you get from pop-culture and be more realistic.

If the type of people on this forum had that kind of healthy attitude they would not decry the Pickup insights so much. There is even a thread on the "Success" section about someone who left off active posting here for a mere six months and now is planning an engagement. If you examine that thread post you will see they never even said that the relationship was 6 months(just their absence from here) so it is probably shorter, they never lived together, she never met his family yet, they decided to move apart from each other, etc. Instead of seeing all the obvious red flags, everyone posting on that thread(till I came) thought it was a "success story" and gave encouraging feedback! But to me it sounds alot like another isolated person more scared to be alone and taking whatever is front of them now into a hasty long-term commitment. If you don't put yourself out there enough and just take whatever is there, chances are you will be stuck unhappily together in a relationship and still lonely suffering the illusion of company with someone you cannot mesh with.

The key is to take the good aspects that being lonely gives in you self-reflection without the delusions that come from living too long in isolation where you build delusions in your head to cope. The existence of romantic love seems one of them, but romantic love is something to specific to post-bourgeois society, an artifice of the Victorian romance novel among other things.

Thrasymachus said:
The forumers replying seem caught up in the fake notion of romantic love peculiar to our society and believe that this metaphysical notion is inherently real. Thus to them players and pickup artists are cheaters against an ideal that does not exist. It is better to just ignore this concept totally, since it is hokum.

so our perception of 'romantic love' is a cultural construct. that doesn't make the lifestyle of a sleazebag broslut any more palatable.

I'm not against these pua tactics because they are somehow anathema to some ideal of "true love", i'm against them because they are manifest fakeness.

ps: I would totally go for a librarian over a floozy, and I'm a highly sociable guy :D

You bring up some good points, Thrasymachus, but you're overthinking it a bit; at least from my perspective. I feel exactly as suckaG. A player's method is phony. The simple fact that he uses a method speaks to its phoniness. A guy who is sharp, witty and, most importantly, ORIGINAL, is just fine, as by definition, he is being himself. The issue is not the activity of looking for action, but the attitude of the men who do so, and as well, the women who fall for players.

If you are phony with everything else you will be phony using these techniques. My experience is that most people are fake, posers and not genuine even without contact to Pickup theory. I do not have time to be people's nannies, I would advise you to actually read a book by a known pickup artist and not intellectualize over thin air. For example in The Game, Neil Strauss(Style) showed clearly that their culture of objectifying women and trying to take over social situations imploded the lives of most of them. But all the leading pickup figures living in the "Project Hollywood house" were not normal balanced people, but people who became obsessed with seduction and who centered their lives on it. They taught courses and seminars and engaged in it during most of their free time as well. I seriously doubt anyone in this forum is going to go to that level. Even one of the leaders of the community, Neil, from experience learned that you fall on your own sword if you take it out from the scabbard too much.

Some PUA's advise to use canned routines with lots of memorized lines, some don't. I personally would never do something like that, but alot of their techniques are definitely worth keeping. Tyler Durden advocates for people to go out clubs at least 2-4 times a week for several hours each time to get good, I would never do that because it is a very negative scene full of alcies(alcoholics) and too obessive. Tynan advocates instead to just meet women wherever you may be. Instead of saying you have to go somewhere to meet women, realistically they are everywhere as they make up half the populous.

I will just give one example of the benefit of Pickup. In his Foundations course, Tyler said you don't have to even talk alot as this is an apt description of most here. You could sit back let someone else tell their story and subtly interject questions at points, to get them to qualify their story/themselves to you. That way even though you could be barely talking you are elevated in the social situation, compared to if you sit and brood alone(like I have done so much and no doubt many others here) because you are not interested in what anyone says. And techniques like that would work not just with women but men also.

Some of what you say i think is correct but most of it is very bitter. You seem to not grasp the difference between advice and psychological manipulation when it comes to PUA and it will nearly ALWAYS include manipulation. Also by the way you talk about romance being just fantasy, some people actually are romantic people you know, whether its just in their head or not, so i wouldnt conclude that its all just fanciful. Also some people, you know in that thing called "Real life", are actually honest people too. :club:

ShybutHi,

You have this false sense of chivalry. Psychological manipulation always happens. It happens to you everday, your boss gives you very bad news, even may fire you, but because he smiles, has the right tone and immediately sympathizes or apologizes, you are OK with it alot more. The people on this forum are lonely and have poor social skills, so they would especially benefit from learning the theory by reading, or else they will be especially get victimized. Recently a seasonal co-worker who was very talkative but generally nice provided a good example. He was a motor-mouth, three women couldn't keep up with how constantly he talked, I will never see anyone who can match him in constantly talking ever. He would often talk to a co-worker, watching them work while loafing, as they picked up for the slack he left. This happens all the time in life, if you smile and talk nicely, people will often put up with alot of your negative baggage. Sociable people can get away with this, loners like those present, obviously cannot.

Romantic ideation is just fantasy, our society is the proof. My grandparents were the products of an arranged marriage. In Greek arranged marriage in their time the groom or his family picked out a woman of similar or better economic standing than them. Her family decides to accept or reject, then finally they ask the daughter if she approves. They meet beforehand to get to barely know each other. The groom receives a large dowry as gift that helps start up the family. Then they get married. And you know what that model totally worked, almost no divorced marriages or no broken homes in Greece when they were young.

Yet in our society people mostly get divorced or stay unhappily married. My grandparents never said "I love you" all the time, never held hands, never were openly affectionate, they slept in separate bedrooms. They were respectable to each other, but distant. The average American has none of these benefits as he is mislead by his culture industry into looking for a metaphysical soulmate, best friend, and lover, all-in-one. This is why people are miserable in our society, because of the expectations and model they pursue, lead astray by this fake metaphysical notion of love. I doubt my grandparents ever loved each other in anything like the way a modern American would pine for in their youth, but their marriage was actually successful since they had reasonable expectations. They knew they were just two people who had to reasonably tolerate each other, give space, and raise a family. Another important factor in addition to this distant space is that divorce was socially unacceptable and they had clearly defined gender roles, not this concept of 50/50 which is largely impracticable. But the average American sets for their marriage mostly unmeetable and lofty goals so high that when the reality of what is possible sets in, they are soured and cannot cope with the situation.

You guys are too caught in this fake notion of love that has dominated in the American culture industry which has saturated you head, you don't realize that it is a created concept. Even the antecedent European societies that shaped American culture always held true the notion that wives were mundane barely sexual partners, and that passionate love was for mistresses, in brief affairs. You have to compare what your society thinks is inherently real to previous epochs and other societies, to see if the ground is truly firm or melting.

Thrasymachus said:
My grandparents were the products of an arranged marriage. In Greek arranged marriage in their time the groom or his family picked out a woman of similar or better economic standing then them. Her family decides to accept or reject, then finally they ask the daughter if she approves. They meet beforehand to get to barely know each other. The groom receives a large dowry as gift that helps start up the family. Then they get married. And you know what that model totally worked, almost no divorced marriages or no broken homes in Greece when they were young.

Hey my grandparents were greek and had an arranged marriage as well! :)

They're still alive and together.

All a woman has to do is sit still N show me her titays to seduce me.
Seriously i dont really care if her tits are fake or not..just long as I get to play with them. :p

Thrasymachus,

You seriously think i dont realise the ammount of manipulation in this world? You are trying to explain things which are obvious to me, infact they are obvious to anyone with half a brain, but my response is if you think its a GOOD thing then you have a problem... it sounds to me like you almost embrace it. You sound incredibly bitter and biased not to mention incredibly pessimistic. There is no point in arguing with someone with your mindset so im going to leave it at that. :club:

Thrasymachus said:
My grandparents never said "I love you" all the time, never held hands, never were openly affectionate, they slept in separate bedrooms. They were respectable to each other, but distant.

If that made them happy good for them. However, I would rather spend the rest of my days in this forum and die alone in my bed than ever live like that or settle for someone who "tolerates" me. I prove that everyday. I would rather dream of what could be than live in what isn't.

Latest posts

Back