please help me understand this guy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why saying I want to know you better instead of jumping into bed with someone means turning them down?! What does one has to say?
If you really liked someone wouldn't you be happy to hear "I feel too hurt to mess around with people I don't know right now, but I would like to know you better and see what happens"? If you just want an easy lay, that is not the right answer, agreed.

AND: you say you like someone, but change subject if she wants to talk about her views on relationships? Sounds weird to me

and then after some meetings you become really mean and then completely disappear? (one week now) and right after you talk about a bit more personal things? weird…

Peaches said:
why saying I want to know you better instead of jumping into bed with someone means turning them down?! What does one has to say?
If you really liked someone wouldn't you be happy to hear "I feel too hurt to mess around with people I don't know right now, but I would like to know you better and see what happens"? If you just want an easy lay, that is not the right answer, agreed.

I'm curious. After telling the guy that you had felt hurt and that you were not interested in messing around, how did you view the situation? Was it now only a friendship in your eyes, or was it like slow-dating with the possibility of more later?

For example, what if the guy had chosen to remain your friend but stopped treating you as a romantic prospect? Would this have been acceptable to you, or not?

it was totally slow dating for me, but if he wanted to be just friends that also would have been quite ok - hey, I will take everything I can get ;)

and a guy is allowed to change his mind, if he finds out that he doesn't like me THAT much, no problem

I understand that a lot of guys can't take slow dating, because the consequences might be too… meaningful?

I wonder what is the non-scary way to present my views on dating, if there is one

thank god that cats don't mind slow dating

Peaches said:
I understand that a lot of guys can't take slow dating, because the consequences might be too… meaningful?

I wonder what is the non-scary way to present my views on dating, if there is one

Hmm. I'm not sure if guys don't like the meaningful part. It depends on the guy. Some guys like their single life and don't want it complicated, but yet they want the sex. To me, sex has to be meaningful, which means I never mind waiting. If I was in a dating mood right now, I'd be employing the "getting to know her better" approach, and not rushing into anything.

It sucks because it sounds like you want something meaningful, real, and unhurried, but you aren't getting it. I also don't think that you're doing anything wrong. You're just not meeting a better kind of guy, the kind who actually doesn't mind waiting, and who wants to build a relationship step by step.

You need to find a patient guy who doesn't bail at the first sign of a problem or issue. They're out there. I should know. I'm one of them. :) I'm sure you'll find someone that matches what you want out of a partner. This last guy made you feel awful, and you don't deserve to be treated that way.

Peaches said:
"....My grandmother once managed to say that guys would come close because "their little package was itching", (free translation)...."

Thanks Peaches, I just had to wipe my iPad screen off as I was just taking a sip of coffee when I read this and started to laugh- G'ma came up with a good one ;)

This is what he said:

"I really like you and would like to know you better, if you like me a little bit it would be great, if not I will be happy to hang out and make music"

Not the best wording or the best method, but his intentions should be pretty clear from this.

This is what you said that you said:

"I answered him that i was having a difficult period, kind of depressed and didn't feel like dating but i would love to know him better."

Now if someone said that to me. I would take that as a pretty obvious rejection. And I would assume that anything that we are doing is not considered dating. Or "slow-dating" or whatever. It doesn't really have to do with wanting a quick lay or or being afraid of commitment or anything like that.

If someone told me what you said to him I would just treat you as a friend or someone to hang out and play music with. Nothing more really.

I know you guys weren't really serious at all but this song comes to mind anyways.

[video=youtube]

kamya said:
This is what he said:

"I really like you and would like to know you better, if you like me a little bit it would be great, if not I will be happy to hang out and make music"

Not the best wording or the best method, but his intentions should be pretty clear from this.

This is what you said that you said:

"I answered him that i was having a difficult period, kind of depressed and didn't feel like dating but i would love to know him better."

Now if someone said that to me. I would take that as a pretty obvious rejection.

If someone told me what you said to him I would just treat you as a friend or someone to hang out and play music with. Nothing more really.

that would be quite a pity, especially if the other person is doing all the work to getting to know you better

but I also trust that you would never be mean just to cut contact

also Kamya, I swear : the day you will find someone who could be your soulmate, you WILL wait a month or two.

WildernessWildChild said:
Peaches said:
"....My grandmother once managed to say that guys would come close because "their little package was itching", (free translation)...."

Thanks Peaches, I just had to wipe my iPad screen off as I was just taking a sip of coffee when I read this and started to laugh- G'ma came up with a good one ;)

what she actually said I think was " their little bundle"

Peaches said:

Ahem, just saw this and the first thing that came to mind was....

tom·cat [tom-kat]
a male cat.
Slang. a woman-chaser.
verb (used without object), tom·cat·ted, tom·cat·ting.
Slang. (of a man) to pursue women in order to make sexual conquests (often followed by around ): He tomcatted around before settling down.

Origin:
1750–60; Tom + cat 1

Peaches said:

tom·cat [tom-kat]
a male cat.
Slang. a woman-chaser.
Slang. (of a man) to pursue women in order to make sexual conquests (often followed by around ): He tomcatted around before settling down.

Origin:
1750–60; Tom + cat 1
only this kind is welcome:
tomcat%20(260%20x%20173).jpg

Peaches said:
Peaches said:

tom·cat [tom-kat]
a male cat.
Slang. a woman-chaser.

Origin:
1750–60; Tom + cat 1
only this kind is welcome:
tomcat%20(260%20x%20173).jpg

Guess I'm S.O.L. then ;)

I`ll sum up my understanding of the situation as blunt and simple as possible:

1. you`re both marked by previous experiences and the difference of age has its say in the way each of you understood/filtered/closed past chapters.
2. it seems to me his refuge is music, would like to be "heard" in this way of expressing also emotions besides his musical professional skills, that`s why he doesn`t expect the same from you when playing. That`s ok (his not so good communication skill let aside).
3. a cliché- expectation is the root of all headaches- but his behaviour transmits to me rather confusion than a clear vision of what he wants...and
4. getting to know one another better implies personal discussions, on private, personal, sometimes intimate and painful topics. It`s necessary, cannot be avoided if both parties involved are really interested.
5. no offence meant, but to me, he seems rather immature. you`re not his mother and his not opening up to you, nor being interested in what you think/feel, signals an issue he`ll have to deal with, if he ever wants a beautiful happy relationship (it`s not "destiny's" job). From what I`ve seen, among this type of people, unveils later a selfish egocentric and emotional vampire nature.
6. Why did you like him in the first place and what made you consider a romantic development? Why the thoughts about the "why`s and how`s" of his attitude? Be fair with yourself and look within (they say, who looks inside, awakens...and I`m sure you already knew that). Also, very important, value yourself. Whatever problems or illness one may have, they don`t define the person, even less substitute him/her to the point of identification.
7. 3-4 dates are a reasonable number for getting to more personal discussions. That means, straightforward (within reasonable limits) questions and answers from both parts (including about his past relationship). You tried, he didn`t. Regardless the explanations or possible excuses, if he is still interested, and it doesn't matter if in mere friendship or a relationship, he`ll have to make a move and act. You are a woman, could be a valuable friend or partner, but don`t fall into the trap of being a mother, an umbrella, a refuge, for an insecure person who is not healed yet and doesn`t face his problems. You have your own problems after all, too, and you have the maturity and responsibility in trying to understand and solve them.
8. I wouldn`t suggest to avoid him. That would leave unanswered questions, as proven by creating the thread. An open discussion with all the cards on the table should clarify everything, good or bad. Then you can move on with a plus you`ve done for yourself, self image and dignity. This also applies to him.

Life is too short to indulge in self-illusions, self-lying and self-sabotage. Human beings are precious and valuable. Open your eyes and accept it. You deserve to be happy and you will (for that you have to get rid of the mental pattern: I only attract bad guys).

Oh, cats and men can coexist.:p Why not have them both? :D

This resulted in a long reply, sorry. I also know that I may not have said anything new to you, if critics arise, it`s ok, on the condition of a civilized respectful form. :)

:D must say, yes all that fur is way more appealing :)

thank you for the great advice, I also think he was just very confused

It just hurts that it's never true, it would be nice to be liked by someone and like them back, it's like dwindling a carrot that its not there.
I know it's irrational to feel anger against this poor chap who didn't mean any harm, but I can't help feeling disappointed. *I* really did like him and wanted to know him better.

it's 10 days now, he really just wanted to get right of me - I will never understand this kind of behavior

one note to end this story: after two weeks of no contact (well, he did send a really cold sms with something saying: it will get better next time, zero apologies, and an email address I asked him for earlier, nothing else, just the address, no I see you are very upset I am so sorry) I didn't know what to do and also I was afraid of meeting him somewhere, so I wrote a very heartfelt letter, saying that I didn't understand what had happened, that I was sorry that it didn't work out, and if I had done something to hurt him without understanding I was sorry, and a few other things about myself, hoping that he could forgive me etc.

Answer: Facebook message saying: look who is talking, the one who doesn't answer my sms
and of course blocked me forever from his Facebook

So after all, I don't know if he is a bad person but for sure a) he is not a good one b) he didn't care honeysuckle about me and was only after one thing c) he didn;t want to talk about personal things because he didn't give a honeysuckle, he was just waiting to see if there was an entry into my pants somewhere d) I just don't want to live anymore

Takeout of this: girls, if a guy doesn't want to know everything about you, he is not that into you

Peaches said:
Answer: Facebook message saying: look who is talking, the one who doesn't answer my sms
and of course blocked me forever from his Facebook

:( childish.

d) I just don't want to live anymore

hugs
6.gif

HugKitten.jpg

Big hugs to you, Peaches. This wasn't about you at all. It was about a short-sighted man who wanted to use you, but you didn't give him the chance. I think you should be proud of yourself for that. *High five* from across the pond. :D

His last message to you was a mean and petty response. It just confirms that he's not a nice person.

Peaches said:
Takeout of this: girls, if a guy doesn't want to know everything about you, he is not that into you

Oh, he was into you, but only enough to satisfy his needs. He wasn't into you in the way that would have made you comfortable, or feel loved or supported. It was all about him and his primal needs, and that makes him a user, in my view.

I'm sorry for your experience. He only lashed out at you because you denied him the one thing he cared about. He's a short-sighted fool.

Whatever you feel at the moment, just know that it wasn't about you. Take a beverage of your choosing, raise the glass, and say out loud, "Good riddance to bad rubbish!" And that will be that.

Latest posts

Back