Please Vote #2

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's Your opinion?

• Keep the reputation system

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Modify it so that the points are eliminated, but the ability to comment someone is kept

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Robin

Here goes another reputation poll since we now have more ways to show our gratitude to people than before.

Personally i've always felt the reputation system has been horribly competitive ever since the "lonelygirl incident" proved to me that it was being corrupted and it's purpose misused. On the other hand it's the most easy way to show someone Your gratitude, permanently, so i wonder if the actual points alone should be taken away, while leaving the comment-function still available.

Its going to kill me saying this. But I voted "Get rid of it" :(

Its unfair to the ppl that are giving a lot of help fro PM like cleo and others that don't have that many. It can make ppl seam put out and unwonted and can come across as you say as a popularity contest. Good idea but not for a site like this. We have the MOM awards and the guest book, that is enough I feel for this site.

Sorry for my sloppiness (i haven't had breakfast yet! :p ), i just added a third option, which was supposed to be there from the start. I can change Your vote if You wanted to Jono. Anyway, i'm off to eat then!

Robin said:
Here goes another reputation poll since we now have more ways to show our gratitude to people than before.

Personally i've always felt the reputation system has been horribly competitive ever since the "lonelygirl incident" proved to me that it was being corrupted and it's purpose misused. On the other hand it's the most easy way to show someone Your gratitude, permanently, so i wonder if the actual points alone should be taken away, while leaving the comment-function still available.

I have mixed views on the reputation issue. I have quite a few positive reps and it makes me feel good to know that I'm responsible for bringing a few smiles here to the forum. I also have two negative reps. One was a joke, and a very funny one, I might add! I found it highly amusing. The first one I received however, was amusing for an entirely different reason - I think it had the opposite effect of what it was intended to have.:p
Personally, I have no problem someone not caring for my opinion, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views. However, what I didn't care for, was the fact that someone could take something that was meant to be a constructive tool here on the forum, and use it to be vindictive and spiteful. To me, the negative meant nothing. But to others, it might mean the difference between having a good day and a bad day. It could mean the difference between continuing to come to this forum or not. This might be a bit of a cliche, but it's apt: When something good is used for evil, how good can it be? I'm not really in favor of getting rid of it completely, but I think that a few changes need to be made. I think that the members here like using the reputation system because it gives them a chance to give recognition to people who have helped them, made them laugh, etc. But, if the reputation section were to be removed, it wouldn't bother me either way. If someone really wants to know what kind of person you are, all they have to do is read your posts and see how you treat others. In a forum, words actually DO speak just as loud as actions.

Bluey said:
Its going to kill me saying this. But I voted "Get rid of it" :(

Its unfair to the ppl that are giving a lot of help fro PM like cleo and others that don't have that many. It can make ppl seam put out and unwonted and can come across as you say as a popularity contest. Good idea but not for a site like this. We have the MOM awards and the guest book, that is enough I feel for this site.

As far as it goes for me personally, i am fine with it and i imagine Bluely would be also would be also,("Its going to kill me saying this"), and i do understand that people like giving out rep points, i do also, still i do oppose having the rep system because of the people like this...

RogueTomato said:
It's bad enough that I don't fit into any of the cliques at college in real life, but now I have to live with the torment of knowing I don't belong at a forum supposedly for people just like me. .... (F@#$ the reputation points system. What the hell is something like that doing on a forum for people who are easily hurt by feelings of isolation and exclusion?!)

So, what do I do? Do I start a new forum for rejects of the Lonely Life forum? Should I call it the Forum for Genetic Mutations in Humanity?

There are other quotes and it has been mentioned to me away from the open forums how people took what they saw as their shortage of rep point.

Sure i like giving away rep points but i am willing to give that up and can learn to use the guest book to say thank you if that helps.

Rep points are kinda pointless in my opinion. Everyone's opinion is different, no one's more significant then another, and rep points just seem to separate us and make one person's opinion more important because of a higher rep. I voted to keep the signing, because telling someone that they are a great person is a good thing to do, but the points thing just seems to set us all apart in some ways. Just my opinion, maybe not all people will look at the rep like that but in some other forums I have used they were used to like that.

Robin said:

Just curious, but what was the "lonelygirl incident?"

Robin said:

Yes I remember that incident and her sprooking about how popular she was, but on the whole I think that the rep system is ok and that it should remain unchanged. I think that it can do wonders for someones self esteem and can also make members become friends. Many times when I have given someone a postive rep they have contacted me though a pm and thanked me, and I have got to know some members quite well. I also want to see Bluey get to 100.:)

I appreciate everyone's input and vote!

So far, as the poll describes, it seems like our website here soon won't have to do as many daily mathematical calculations as before.

The poll closes in three days (when a week has passed.)

Allright. The majority has spoken, but since there still are quite a few who'd rather keep the reputation system intact, the listing of the actual points have been removed from under everyone's name within threads and in their profile-page, but how many positive as well as negative votes a person has received still is visible within the reputation-page itself. This leaves the information that the conservationists want to keep still there for them to enjoy, while the competitive feeling is as good as gone, as i see it.

Although the poll now is closed, this question still is open for debate. Let me know if we need to start another poll...

Latest posts

Back