PM someone new for November

• Thread starter The Good Citizen
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Good Citizen

I just tried PM'ing someone to say Hi but they don't receive PM's unfortunately but it got me thinking...

I have PM'd a few people in my time here, and had some nice chats with some nice people, if only for a day or 2 in most cases but on the flip side it resulted in meeting my girlfriend so I'm all for getting to know people on a more personal level! As great as the board is for giving lonely people a voice, the chat room is not for everyone and I thought it a good idea to try and encourage people to take the next step and PM someone. Maybe someone you tend to share similar experiences with or a world view and always thought you'd like to get to know better.

So I was thinking to encourage people, anyone, but especially those who have never PM'd anyone before to PM at least one person during November and then update the thread to say they have taken the plunge and broken their duck! You can't guarante a response of course but just take the initiative and if someone doesn't respond at least you can proudly annouce you've taken part.

I think it would be a good experience for some to take that step, and will encourage people to overcome their shyness. Maybe you can reference this thread and say that in the spirit of taking part you picked them as somone you've always thought pretty cool or respected and just wanted introduce yourself and offer an ear if they ever need it etc. It might take the stigma out of making the first move that people sometimes feel and if nothing else it would surely be a compliment to anyone here to think they stood out (well thats how I'd take it!).

I'm not trying to make rules but I thought these would be common sense to suggest:

1: I would recommend keeping it anonymous on the thread, just say you've PM'd but dont say who. I can see the innevitable ALL arguments of "I PM'd so and so, not that they replied..." so I think the Mods would probably ask for that as a rule!

2: If someone does PM off the back of this thread, it would be nice to think people would be kind enough to respond, if only to thank them. If you are not interested in regular conversations with someone you can make that clear but just try and give people a positive experience for making the effort.

3: If no response is received or it fizzles out, thats not the point and people need to remember that. The excercise here is in the process of introducing yourself to someone new, you never know if you'll get a response so don't get down if you don't and just take the positives.

Anyway does anyone see the benefit in this in trying to get people connected or is it just a daft idea?

Maybe some lasting friendships will come of it and and give some people some much needed confidence in approaching people and saying hi. I've got to do my bit and pick someone too off course, so I have the same tricky decision as everyone else, but on the flip side I'm always open to a hello from anyone. My name is Matt, if you didn't already know that and if it helps :)

This is a very good idea. I hope people do it.

I must confess I'm pretty bad at replying to PMs, it doesn't mean I dislike them or anything, it just means I'm a lazy sack of turds with a bad memory.

Cheers for the endorsement Barb! It would be nice to think it got a few people talking off the back of it at least.

Yeah its hit and miss with PM, thats the thing, I don't want the flip side to be people feel let down if they make the effort and it doesn't come to much, its just the making the effort that counts.

it does work for making friends, i can testify to that =)
I have pm'ed a couple people on this site for one reason or another, and even had a couple people message me 1st as well!
i'm happy to say that I've only been here around a month and already have made new friends that i have on my messenger and i have more pm's in my inbox than I had on other sites that i was a member of for years lol.
my advice is, if you see someone and feel the urge to message them, go for it. there is very little to lose but quite alot to gain.

;)

Hank2 said:
it does work for making friends, i can testify to that =)
I have pm'ed a couple people on this site for one reason or another, and even had a couple people message me 1st as well!
i'm happy to say that I've only been here around a month and already have made new friends that i have on my messenger and i have more pm's in my inbox than I had on other sites that i was a member of for years lol.
my advice is, if you see someone and feel the urge to message them, go for it. there is very little to lose but quite alot to gain.

;)

Absolutely, it would be good to encourage a closer community spirit with a bit more familiarity, I used to see that in reading the posts but lately it seems less so.

Someone randomly PMed me a few days ago. We've been talking on the phone for a couple of days now.

LonelyInAtl said:
Someone randomly PMed me a few days ago. We've been talking on the phone for a couple of days now.

Thats the sort of thing I thought people needed to hear. Although I fear this thread will probably die a death... Maybe I should just retitle it to "guess how big the feet of the person above you are" or something more constructive like that. ;)

Well, I tried the random PM and no response. I guess not everyone is as adventurous! LOL

gotta throw out a net instead of trying to fly-fish in the ocean ;p
try a few more and see who bites!

Yeah me too, its always good to hear from someone new!

Its nice to see it had some effect. :)

I pm'd a few people on here. And a few has messaged me back but some has lost there interest in trying to be friends with me. I'm sure I'll meet others on here.

I PMed someone a minute ago AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T REPLIED YET.
But then again, it was me. *shrugs*
I'm sure I can wait a few days for my reply. :cool:
That does count, right?

Latest posts

Back