power gestures

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Ted Talks :) I listen to those on NPR and I have mixed feelings. A lot of them seem like new-age feel-good talks that I don't really learn much from. But this article makes some sense. I've heard that 90% of face to face communication is nonverbal. Anyone in a position of power and authority must also show it nonverbally or no one will take them seriously.
And if you need confidence, many people find it helpful to fake it till they make it.

-Teresa

I'll watch the video later because I have to go out for a bit, but it's been established long ago that posture and body poses often communicate anything from confidence to weakness, strength to fear. Alphas, for example, like to sit and spread themselves out as far as possible, establishing the largest amount of social territory they can muster. Betas, OTOH, will cross their arms, hunch their shoulders, and become as small as possible within any given space.

I look forward to this video. I love TEDtalks.

Case said:
it's been established long ago that posture and body poses often communicate anything from confidence to weakness, strength to fear. Alphas, for example, like to sit and spread themselves out as far as possible, establishing the largest amount of social territory they can muster. Betas, OTOH, will cross their arms, hunch their shoulders, and become as small as possible within any given space.

I believe it. I used to slouch and hunch over a lot, I used to look down a lot too. Now, I make a conscious effort to walk with my head held high, shoulders back, and look straight ahead. I'm 5' 11" (not tall, but certainly not short) but I figure I should get the most out of my height. I used have this body posture I had because I shied away from conflict, but now, I believe I have as much right to exist as anyone. Basically I've stopped taking people so seriously, and tried to stop under-valuing myself. I figure if I exist, if I've made it this far, then I was made to survive and thrive here, as a human being, as a social creature. Just as much as everyone else.

I've tried it. Ever since watching that a couple of years ago I tend to do the power pose before I have to go do something where I need to make an impression. It sure doesn't hurt and I actually seem to be more confident too.

Sometimes when I'm feeling really shitty about myself, I stop whatever I'm doing, take a deep breath, and stand/sit up straighter. I'm not sure if it releases different hormones as it is said to, but it definitely acts as a little mental "slap in the face" that makes me feel better.

I think I buy into this concept.

This is my favourite Ted Talks- and it kinda relates to power in gestures....

[video=youtube]

I don't want to be offensive with this post, but there is a good example. Certain dictators, in particular Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, used powerful gestures during their rants speeches. Now, I'm not saying that you should all become dictators, but gestures and body language in general have either consciously or unconsciously an effect on other people. For example when a person in authority's body language mirrors that of a scared, insecure person, he won't be taken very seriously. However if someone, either in power or not, has a strong body language, strong gestures and a 'certain' voice, that person will find that he or she will be taken more seriously.

The most important thing is the effort, though. For examples, I would post videos of certain speeches here, but I have decided not to. If you need an example of the above, use google/youtube.

Latest posts

Back