Problems At My Chess Club

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.:)

At my chess club, an average of 10-12 members show up every week.
There are 2 members who are from Quebec and speak both French and English fluently. Before the tournaments start, the members are usually just engaging in social conversation and playing casual games.

These 2 members from Quebec sit there and talk to each other in French even though the rest of us don't. A lot of members take offense to this.

That doesn't really get to me though. My problem is this: When I am playing one of these 2 men from Quebec, the other one starts talking to my opponent in French during casual gameplay. This really pisses me off. To me, I find that rude as hell. Am I wrong to feel this way?

I wouldn't care if they spoke in English.

Godspeed.
-LK

No its not wrong , if it is something annoying it can distract you and ruin the game , also the fact that they just start talking in another language while you are there is stupid if they can talk english fluently. I don't mind that when two people are alone , talk in 6 different languages if you want but don't do that when another person is around and doesen't know the language.

It can probably be distracting. At the same time, if they conversed in English it would probably be even more distracting. I could be wrong, but they might actually be trying to act courteous by speaking in a language you don't understand so that you can focus on the game and not what they're saying.

I don't think it's wrong for them to speak in their language. It must be tiring to speak in English all the time when it's not ur language and to find someone who speaks ur native tongue in which u grow up with after speaking in a language that is not yours is both refreshing and nostalgic. There's also that being used to using this language when speaking to this particular person. If they are doing it to distract u then u gotta find a way not to be distracted cos it would also be mean if they wont get permitted to talk in their language in ur hobby club.

Tis what i think.

It could make it difficult to tell if you are playing against one or two people.

In my experience, this is a pretty standard thing French speakers do. They find other French speakers and speak to each other almost exclusively in French, even if it is inappropriate or impolite in the situation. You should just bring it up to them and tell them you don't like it, or maybe use it as an opportunity to learn French. :p

I don't think it applies mostly on French people but people who have native languages and are in a place with a different language. Depends on what language ur thread of thought it switched on to. That's why it becomes tiring sometimes to think in one language and speak in another. Although minus has a point. In that case, maybe have a rule no talking while playing or learnch French. :D

Yeah, that sounds dodgy to me. You shouldn't be talking to someone else during a chess game anyway, that's rude.

Also, what's to say he's not saying "Move the knight to that square" or something? >_<

My advice would be to ask them politely to stop. Or learn French and expose their deception :D

learn all the chess pieces names in french. then the words, left, right, front, back. and also the word cheater... for when you point at them and shout it to their faces (hehe)

floffyschneeman said:
learn all the chess pieces names in french. then the words, left, right, front, back. and also the word cheater... for when you point at them and shout it to their faces (hehe)
lol

Lost Drifter said:
You've changed since that Isaac Clarke avatar...I like it :cool:

I now not only offer free snuggles, but also complimentary Necromorph extermination ;)

Latest posts

Back