Project De-Ugly Your House

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Shippy!

Can you pop over and sort our house out? That's some good work and I'm just not a big DIY fan.

And I want your car, brrrrmmmmm!

Thanks guys!

Eddy, DIY is the only way to go in my opinion. I hate paying too much for things. My car was a sort of DIY too. We bought it salvaged and fixed it. Now it's completely paid off and we got it for about 80% off the regular price.

You should put a glass top on the wood table you did in your living room. The glass top would protect it from scratches and ring marks from cups.

But you need to put some filler circles under the glass to hold it up just a tiny bit.

Water can still get under the glass but...it'd be more protection than just the wood.

Also I really don't like to put two similar shades of color such as pink/red together.

I'd want to pick a color that would stand out and be a nice contrast. Otherwise, to my eye it all blends in.

SophiaGrace said:
You should put a glass top on the wood table you did in your living room. The glass top would protect it from scratches and ring marks from cups.

But you need to put some filler circles under the glass to hold it up just a tiny bit.

Water can still get under the glass but...it'd be more protection than just the wood.

Also I really don't like to put two similar shades of color such as pink/red together.

I'd want to pick a color that would stand out and be a nice contrast. Otherwise, to my eye it all blends in.

I tried putting the glass on it, and it really took away from the look. I figured some wear and tear will add character.

SophiaGrace said:

More often than not, two similar colors compliment each other very well, which is my guess as to why she wanted a red door. They may blend in sometimes, but when one color is bold enough (such as red), and the other color is just a gentle hint (there wasn't as much of a pink hue as I thought), it works very well.

VanillaCreme said:
SophiaGrace said:

More often than not, two similar colors compliment each other very well, which is my guess as to why she wanted a red door. They may blend in sometimes, but when one color is bold enough (such as red), and the other color is just a gentle hint (there wasn't as much of a pink hue as I thought), it works very well.

I have to agree with Nilla on this one. I think the red is going to do really well. I'm going to try to get it done over the holiday weekend. Hopefully, that is. Ill get pics up when it's completed! :)

Thought I would post how I redid my living room fireplace.

33dv8fb.jpg

This was the original. I thought it sucked. I really hated the color of the brick, and it just looked tacky and dated.

So I took a can of pearl white paint, and painted the entire fireplace. Then, I cut a sponge to the exact brick so I could sponge the grey paint over it. Throw in a new black iron poker thingy on the front and...

dr49l3.jpg

Tada! It really opens up the room.

I love that, Ship. That picture is beautiful. Is it on wood or is it a canvas? My mom and grandmother, years ago at Ross', bought this really heavy Greek painting that's on wood. I'm eventually going to do a little fix me up on it because a family friend was holding it for us when we moved, and somehow, she really damaged some areas. But it's nothing I can't fix. She attempted to fix it, but she just put a grass green color paint on it instead of the olive/sage that it really needs.

But I really like the finished fireplace. I agree, the brick (although there's nothing wrong with the brick look if that's what you like) does look dated to me. Sometimes, it looks nice, but I'm not fond of it myself either. Great job. It turned out lovely.

Thanks Nilla!

That painting is canvas. Someone I met actually painted it, and we got it from like a flea market. My husband loved it and I got it for him for his birthday.

Ship, by looking at the mantle, I assume you're going to white-wash everything? I love that bright, white look. It's clean and crisp to me.

Yeah. There was a lot of weird colors of brown around that were making white. I like the clean look of it as well. To me, it makes the room look 100x bigger.

Latest posts

Back