Public Bullying

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thalassa

Reaction score
I don't know if I just live in the worst city in the world when it comes to horrible nasty youth, but just tonight again I got bullied on the bus.

These people think that it's okay to mock you when you're within ear's distance of them, having a laugh with their friend(s).

I know I have very low self-esteem and that I don't feel right in this world full of people. That doesn't seem to be a reason to not be able to feel safe riding a bus or waiting at a bus stop!

I really hate young people so much, especially teenagers and it doesn't seem right because I'm 24 and I should feel more confident at this point of life. But without any friends or human contact and a plethora of bad social experiences, I just can't feel good when walking down the street and I feel much safer inside.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Sorry for what you've went through and are going through.

I am 15, a teenager myself, I feel so different from every other people my age; and I agree, a lot of people my age are like that, so I'm sorry for what you're going through. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll end up picking up trash. :p

The only thing you can do is ignore and try to remain confident.

It used to happen to me a lot until I changed it. I started carrying myself differently which, now, stops these types of people from "picking me out".

It's the body language & carriage that these people were identifying me by as an easy target. It's no longer there; therefore, they now wouldn't "dare".

I can relate this happened to me when I was younger a lot and still does now. Some I could smile off, some really hurt. I think unfortunately it probably happens in a lot of places.

These people are just idiots though and you need to remember that and try so hard to just ignore it. As weird as it sounds its not personal because these people don't know you and only the people who care about you or you care about opinion should matter. These people will likely say things about lots of people and for all kinds of reasons.

I remember, when I was once at the bus stop (couple of years ago...) and some stupid young children laughed at me. :(

It really hurt.

I'm sorry to hear that it makes you feel that way. I've had a lot of experience with this, but I eventually grew out of it - IF it happens nowadays, and that's a big IF, I refuse to be bothered by some immature ******** who are projecting their own insecurities and self-hatred on me.

Hasn't happened in quite a while now though, as most people talk behind my back, rather than confronting me with anything - apparently something about me makes it look like a bad idea to do that...
As for the very few I can remember who've given me looks, or said anything derogatory with me being in hearing distance, I can remember an instance of me countering that by just giving them a stare most devoid of sympathy until they would get horribly, horribly uncomfortable. Another time I've just requested these certain youths to repeat what they were saying about me. That sort of ended the fun on their part. But I'm not sure if any of those responses would be a viable tactic for you...

I know they are horrible people (the youth here is just so cruel), and it wasn't even TOO bad this time: they just wanted to act tough, they mocked my shoes, mocked my hair and my being pale. Actually my hair looked quite nice today, so they mockingly called me Rapunzel. It is just the fact that I hate having them talk about me, I just want to be left alone!! I got off the bus earlier because I was sick of it and they would have just started mocking something else. It was the first time I went outside today and it just made me feel so unwelcome in this crappy world.

I have serious social anxiety so this incident (and the others, there were about 3 this year) really messes me up emotionally, serious panicky feeling and pain.

I was bullied when I was their age too (about 15) by horrible peers. It got better, but now I feel 15 again because I feel so lacking in self-confidence. I also look a lot younger than I am, so to them I probably seem like one of them!

I know how you feel.

When I was younger and took the school bus, there were various people at various times that went out of their way to make fun of me. Not letting me walk past to find a seat, making fun of my appearance, throwing snow at me that they took off the street onto the bus with them, etc.

I stopped taking the bus and started biking to school in sun, rain and snow. I got hit by a car on my bike. I had 2 bikes stolen even though I locked them properly, kids cut the locks. When the bikes got stolen, I had to walk a few times. There were a few incidents were kids came up to me and made fun of me, still.

But we persevere on and try to deal with the hurt. I may look ugly, but the people who did that to me are ugly too, they have ugly personalities, and that's something you have some control over.

I come from a similar place and completely understand how you feel. People where I live (both adults and teenagers) seem to take pleasure in causing suffering to others. It’s a small, poor little town so I think people act spiteful just to make themselves feel superior, name calling, aggressive behaviour, racism, vandalism and resentment are all common behaviours and there is forever a feeling of aggression in the air. It’s evil.

I’ve had problems on the bus, random strangers calling me names, shop staff giving me sub-standard service, my possessions vandalised and my home damaged. For a long time I hated leaving the house and even now, only go out at night when the town is quiet and the streets are emptier. The last time I went to a crowded supermarket in the morning I almost had a panic attack. All those rude people, pushing and shoving to grab items so no one else can have them, name calling and snide comments like it was a normal thing to do.

I’m a big guy, big enough to stop physical threats, but also big enough that I present a target to those wanting to show off. Want to prove how tough you are? Then shout at the big man or go smash up his car. The problem is that teenagers know the law is on their side, they can shout at me and threaten me all they want but the second I do something back to them I’m in trouble. Walking away is the only option but I’m getting so sick and tired of having to take it.

Lost Drifter said:
I come from a similar place and completely understand how you feel. People where I live (both adults and teenagers) seem to take pleasure in causing suffering to others. It’s a small, poor little town so I think people act spiteful just to make themselves feel superior, name calling, aggressive behaviour, racism, vandalism and resentment are all common behaviours and there is forever a feeling of aggression in the air. It’s evil.

I’ve had problems on the bus, random strangers calling me names, shop staff giving me sub-standard service, my possessions vandalised and my home damaged. For a long time I hated leaving the house and even now, only go out at night when the town is quiet and the streets are emptier. The last time I went to a crowded supermarket in the morning I almost had a panic attack. All those rude people, pushing and shoving to grab items so no one else can have them, name calling and snide comments like it was a normal thing to do.

I’m a big guy, big enough to stop physical threats, but also big enough that I present a target to those wanting to show off. Want to prove how tough you are? Then shout at the big man or go smash up his car. The problem is that teenagers know the law is on their side, they can shout at me and threaten me all they want but the second I do something back to them I’m in trouble. Walking away is the only option but I’m getting so sick and tired of having to take it.

I'm sorry you live in a fowl place, I wouldn't feel comfortable there either. The people sound rotten! I feel your loneliness, and I hope things get better for you.

That happens everywhere, teenagers are the worse. My part timer is a very confident fella, he's the kind of guy that stuff just rolls off of. He's guilty of making fun of people, he tells me about it. I give him a lecture about doing it but he doesn't understand how words can hurt people, the psychological effect it has. Looking back on it, teenagers are mean, they say hurtful things to people to make themselves look "bigger" in front of their peers. It's not until much later (well hopefully some don't) that they realize how idiotic and immature it is, and how much of a tool it really makes them look.

The clear answer to this, is to walk past them and fart on your way off of the bus. No... seriously I did that once. :)

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 21 and I hate riding on public buses when the schools would let the kids out. It's not only they would talk badly about you but they would do it loudly without a care of anyone listening. I try my best to ignore them, I even carry an iPod but it's almost like they want you to listen. I even get panicky when I'm walking and a school bus passes by me, afraid that the kids would roll down the windows and say something nasty(It's happened before). It's kinda embarrassing to feel this way about kids when you're older but I guess it comes from being picked on when you were that age.

But it's best to remember that those people don't know you and their opinion shouldn't matter.

I live in Atlanta.... nuff said.

Can't even walk down the street safely, let alone ride a bus!

And the public schools here in the south SUUUUUX! either you fit in or not, if you are lucky (unlucky) to fit in, then you are part of the 'mean' crowd, other wise you are an outcast, and get picked on daily, each class, lunch, pe, class changes.. and so on.... I spent many, many, many days in the school bathroom with the door locked just to try and escape all the ridicule that I received on a daily basis.
8th grade and on up through high school were the most UNHAPPY days of my life!
Just know you are not alone.... just think this next time you are going through a hard time......
Karmic Retribution ............................ what goes around, most certainly comes around. it will come back on the ********! or their children!

It's sad how much hurt these sickos have caused in our lives. I have also been bullied as a teenager, for 3 high school years, the other 3 I didn't really have friends but nobody bothered me. It's a cruel time!

How can someone mock a person by calling them Rapunzel? That's a compliment! Those kidz phail at mocking, and they'll phail at life. I know it won't make you feel better, but maybe you can take comfort in it later?

Bullies are morons, and their opinions are worthless. Yet their words are like knives to our guts. It really sucks, and I can relate to what you're feeling. I suppose I'm luckier; I've never experienced such a thing when out in public where I live, it was mostly at school when I was a teenager.

I hope those people around you learn to behave soon. Or that you can move to some place nice. Best of luck to you! :)

Limlim said:
The clear answer to this, is to walk past them and fart on your way off of the bus. No... seriously I did that once. :)

ROFLMFAO!! Man I wish I did that back in the day.

Yes, what they said was ridiculous, but they said it in a sneering way, that my shoes looked like goblin ones, that I was Rapunzel and that I was a vampire because I'm pale and then the mocking one said to her friend: "oh, did you see the film Twilight, it's so romantic". Not much of an IQ or attention span. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but I feel so bad with my non-existent self-confidence and sheer social panic that it hurts to yet again be targeted at!

I had 2 other incidents with nasty 15-year-olds this year, the worst being when I was just standing waiting for the bus and this group of bitches came over and one said: "do you know that ugly girl?". They thought I was their age I'm sure, and then they come up and starting attacking me verbally all at once, saying I had grey hair, that I was ugly and being sickenly mean. I walked away and I was in tears.

I hope to move away soon, the youth here are ruthless...

That's when someone needs to turn the tables on them see how they like it. So sorry to hear that happened to you thalassa, bullying needs to stop. These people need to be recorded so everyone can see what horrible people they are. I bet most parents would be ashamed to see their child acting that way.

Latest posts

Back