Quicksand

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
“Everything had changed suddenly--the tone, the moral climate; you didn't know what to think, whom to listen to. As if all your life you had been led by the hand like a small child and suddenly you were on your own, you had to learn to walk by yourself. There was no one around, neither family nor people whose judgment you respected. At such a time you felt the need of committing yourself to something absolute--life or truth or beauty--of being ruled by it in place of the man-made rules that had been discarded. You needed to surrender to some such ultimate purpose more fully, more unreservedly than you had ever done in the old familiar, peaceful days, in the old life that was now abolished and gone for good.”
― Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago

I feel like somewhere along the way I just fell into it. I didn't see it before it was too late. And the tragic thing, is that nobody ever does. It waits for you. It's swallowing me one day at a time, it's agonisingly slow. I'm stuck in this hole, and I'm scared.

Pretty much everyone falls into the quicksand at some stage. The odd person will manage to avoid it, but it is quite rare. Everyone will encounter the quicksand, it is inevitable. How people react to falling into it it, is what differentiates them. There are also many various and diverse stages. Some are only feet deep in it. These people are are only there momentarily. They are dipping their feet in it for a short time, before leaving and going about their day. Others are knee deep, and then there are those that are waist deep. These people aren't fully aware of the situation they find themselves in. Then there are those who are neck deep. They are putting on a brave face, fiercely resisting the urge to scream out, like a lone wolf howling in the emptiness of the desert. They are fully aware of the situation they are in, but feel like it's too late to be saved.

The reactions to falling into it, differ from person to person. For some it is a minor inconvenience. A slight mistep. Now once this person realizes what has just happened, the reaction is not negative in any way. This person has no reason to be angry or scared. They are confident in themselves, in their abilities. They look at the problem at hand, and analyse it rationally. Cool and collective to the bone. Now let's see what we have here, the person might think to themselves

“Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, cold and unkind. We think too much and feel too little.” - Charlie Chaplin

Latest posts

Back