Rational or Irrational Beliefs?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
Do you believe that the universe is sympathetic to our wishes? I often send wishes to the universe because I believe it has a soul. While I type this, it does sound irrational, but I still believe. I would love to hear your thoughts on the universe.

I think people say 'universe' where they used to say 'God'. I still say God, I really like having faith in something with a construct because it's comforting to me. I feel lost like there's nothing to hold onto when things are vague and I just don't like that feeling.

All my life I've tried to search for inner peace, calm surroundings, trouble free relationships, nice quite people, etc, etc, etc. But just as I find these elusive things, everything seems to go astray just to screw with ME and get ME mad. GRRRRRRR!!!!! So, logically, the only thing that makes sense is that some entity greater then me is controlling everything and using the heat I generate to power something for them, maybe, like a flashlight, an MP3 player, or something like that. Although, it's probably just a curling iron now since I'm getting older and less active. ;)

I believe that all beliefs are irrational including my own belief that all beliefs are irrational. For that matter, love also is not a rational thing, love is an emotional thing.

Or to put it comically:
"All statements are true in some sense , false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense."
😂(y)

Though I find the universe incredible, beautiful and endlessly fascinating, I don't believe that it listens to us or takes our needs into consideration. From what we can now tell, we seem to have emerged from whatever massive explosions occurred around 13.8 billion years ago more as an accidental or emergent entity rather than as an intentional one. Astronomy comes with incredibly humbling implications and I've found more meaning in accepting what appears to be humanity's precarious situation than in denying it. But I also accept that the current models of the universe will inevitably turn up incomplete to some degree and future discoveries may absolutely shock us. That said, the vast majority of the universe remains uninhabitable for creatures like us, so it seems hard to believe that the universe was somehow "created for us." Not only that, the stars will shine for only so long and eventually the last star in the universe will fade out billions of years from now. The trajectory of the universe as we know it appears to travel from darkness to light and back to darkness again. Though this all might sound cold and even misanthropic, to me it heightens the awareness that we need each other desperately to help mitigate the effects of our condition. We need to understand the limitations of our species and ensure that Earth remains habitable because, right now, it seems like our only chance (humans can only tolerate so much heat; look up "wet bulb temperature"). I don't think that anyone or anything will come to save us (maybe some alien species will? Who knows?) and hoping or counting on it doesn't seem like a good strategy. We need to save ourselves and we need each other to do it. So, for me, seemingly heartless, soulless scientific theories can lead to an awareness of how valuable humans are to each other. Our shared condition, independent of beliefs, wealth, talent or just about anything else, should bring us together. For me, there lies true meaning.

Last edited:
The pale blue dot, seems to sum up matters for me.

We are barely a pixel amongst the vastness of our own universe, which similarly is a pixel within others.

To me, there is no spirituality, no God, and even science had to be subject to change. We like to think that we have all the answers, and explain the unknown areas with mystical forces, and nonsense. Looking at our time on earth, the human race is still barely a flicker in time. Earth and the surrounding planets being millions of years old. And yet, these all seeing entities appear not to have noticed any of these.

As for my irrational beliefs, I once used to believe that people were inherently good. Although that theory has been undone. Religion has done that. Just as people now worship "false" gods, such as the celebrity culture that promotes greed and selfishness. You matter to them, like religion, only as long as you contribute towards their wealth and status.

Although, my irrational acts are talking to my dog. Not just commands, but conversation. I know that she cannot understand, other than perhaps the tone. Yet, like religion and celebrities, this makes me feel good, and appease my own selfish needs.

Beliefs; be nice, manners cost nothing.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Last edited:
I think people say 'universe' where they used to say 'God'. I still say God, I really like having faith in something with a construct because it's comforting to me. I feel lost like there's nothing to hold onto when things are vague and I just don't like that feeling.
I agree with this. It's just a "higher power" based on what you believe in. Could be "destiny" or "fate" or God or the people playing the VR simulation game who are controlling us, the lizard people....just anything.

The Universe, or life, is a shitty place beyond belief. Children getting raped and tortured in excrutiatingly painful ways without us knowing, yet what makes the headlines is a billionnaire with enough money to quite litterally solve MOST of the world's problems trying to demolish a bridge so his private rowboat can pass through.
Closer examination and honesty about the realities of life is enough to make anyone go insane, which is why most of us don't look at it too closely and concentrate on our immediate situations and the "beauty" of the universe through our own prisms.
Hopefully, if civilisation doesn't collapse in the next 100 years, future generations will make this place better than we did.

a billionnaire with enough money to quite litterally solve MOST of the world's problems trying to demolish a bridge so his private rowboat can pass through.
I saw that. I don't understand why you would have your stupid boat built in a place where it can't get out. Though, I must say it's temporarily dismantle, not demolish, but in all fairness, who knows what will happen in the dismantling process or putting it back together. Also, from what I've read about it, no permits have been sought or approved for it to actually happen yet.

I saw that. I don't understand why you would have your stupid boat built in a place where it can't get out. Though, I must say it's temporarily dismantle, not demolish, but in all fairness, who knows what will happen in the dismantling process or putting it back together. Also, from what I've read about it, no permits have been sought or approved for it to actually happen yet.
That kind of money would probably feed the entirety of Africa for 6 months. He's an *******. If I was that rich. I'd give it all away and keep only a small house and a fishing boat for my weekends.
But I'm crazy and wish I was The Punisher. For what it's worth.

Interesting side point, but getting back to Lady Grey's post:

Our best scientific and mathematical evidence decisively shows that the universe is a physical composition of time, space, energy, and matter. To suggest that "it" has a non-physical soul seems incompatible with this finding.

Contrary to current big bang and evolutionary theories, our strongest laws of physics refute the idea that a universe could create itself and evolve from disorder into order by natural processes. Evidence and logic dictate that the "natural" universe must have been designed and created by a "supernatural" being of some sort.

The last good Pew research study showed 89% of Americans believing in a higher power or spiritual force in the universe, though just 56% believe this force is the God of the Bible. In any case, people should understand that there is a distinct difference between the physical, material, natural universe and any supernatural being, spirit, or force.

Anyone pondering this issue at all should consider the folly of revering, praying to, or worshiping material things in any way. It makes far more sense to venerate the Creator rather than the creation. It also seems prudent to seek out this Creator, knowing that he must have a purpose for us being in this awesome universe.

Now I'm sorry to say this, and I do respect your w

Our best scientific and mathematical evidence decisively shows that the universe is a physical composition of time, space, energy, and matter. To suggest that "it" has a non-physical soul seems incompatible with this finding.

Contrary to current big bang and evolutionary theories, our strongest laws of physics refute the idea that a universe could create itself and evolve from disorder into order by natural processes. Evidence and logic dictate that the "natural" universe must have been designed and created by a "supernatural" being of some sort.

The last good Pew research study showed 89% of Americans believing in a higher power or spiritual force in the universe, though just 56% believe this force is the God of the Bible. In any case, people should understand that there is a distinct difference between the physical, material, natural universe and any supernatural being, spirit, or force.

Anyone pondering this issue at all should consider the folly of revering, praying to, or worshiping material things in any way. It makes far more sense to venerate the Creator rather than the creation. It also seems prudent to seek out this Creator, knowing that he must have a purpose for us being in this awesome universe

I'm sorry to say this, as you are entitled to your religion, but you are talking utter crap!

I'm not going to waste my time pointing out the flaws, your cognitive dissonance just wouldn't except any arguments, valid or otherwise.

But for f's sake, do your research, openly, not seeking answers that suit you, but rather answers that raise further questions.

Anyone pondering this issue at all should consider the folly of revering, praying to, or worshiping material things in any way. It makes far more sense to venerate the Creator rather than the creation. It also seems prudent to seek out this Creator, knowing that he must have a purpose for us being in this awesome universe.
As I've said elsewhere, I have no problem with you being a Christian and believing in the Bible, etc., but I don't like it when "the faithful" use misleading language to sway others over to what they consider "the truth." No one has "the truth" about the bigger questions.

"Contrary to current big bang and evolutionary theories, our strongest laws of physics refute the idea that a universe could create itself and evolve from disorder into order by natural processes. Evidence and logic dictate that the "natural" universe must have been designed and created by a "supernatural" being of some sort."

You keep copying and pasting this passage as if it's a fact. It's not a fact and nothing I have seen in modern big bang and evolutionary theories even suggests it. Quite the opposite, actually. It is all misleading and controversial at best. Please provide more substantial evidence for this or stop pasting this into this forum.

"In any case, people should understand that there is a distinct difference between the physical, material, natural universe and any supernatural being, spirit, or force."

This only matters if the Biblical God, or something like it, does in fact exist. Otherwise it's just metaphysical speculation. As a Christian, you probably find the existence of God indisputable, but from an outsider's viewpoint, that is still much a matter of debate. The statement assumes the existence of a "supernatural being" and so the argument is circular and leading. And how does anyone prove or disprove that the universe itself is not a "supernatural being?" How does anyone even know what such a thing is? All you can do is say "it's true" and stomp your foot. That proves nothing.

I know I'm wasting my time posting all of this, but if it makes even one person on the edge question these misleading passages, then I guess it's worth it. This isn't an argument against Christianity, I know plenty of Christians who don't try to mislead people with unsubstantiated claims, but it is an argument against spreading such unsubstantiated claims.

Colster, I recognize your aversion to religion, and especially Christianity, but I don't criticize you harshly as you've done twice to me now. Perhaps you could allow as much tolerance for me as I do for you. We're allowed to have differing views here. That's what makes a forum interesting. May I suggest that you and others may freely present your secular world view perspectives here as I present my Biblical world view perspectives - with each showing mutual respect for the other?

Ewomack, you've done a better job at rationally challenging my views, thank-you. I would enjoy defending them but two things stop me. First, we're allowed to express religious views here but we're not allowed to argue. I'm afraid that answering your questions adequately would eventually cross a line that someone would object to. Second, I've learned that arguing about evidence with someone holding a strong secular world view serves no purpose. We can see the same evidence but our differing world views will cause us to interpret the conclusions differently. I've no desire to argue with anyone holding strong opposing views, be it politics or religion, but to you or anyone with an open heart, seeking God and receptive to apologetic evidence supporting Christianity and the Bible, feel free to personally message me.

Now, for anyone else following this thread, Lady Grey has posed a profound question with religious implications. The true atheist cannot believe that the universe has a soul because atheism's foundation relies upon materialism or naturalism - thus rejecting any spirit or supernatural force. So their simple answer should be no - the universe is not sympathetic to our wishes. The theist believes in the supernatural but may have various views on how and where that entity fits into or outside of the universe.

The Biblical view of the universe is best imagined as a sealed, empty box. The scientific Law of Causality and First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics dictate that the space, time, energy, and matter now in this box had to be created by something outside of the box - something supernatural, not subject to the box's physical scientific laws. In the same way, something supernatural outside of the box is required to have established the scientific laws we now observe inside the box. Thus, a supernatural Creator outside of the natural universe is consistent with science - and the Bible. Anyone accepting this premise should then appreciate my previous answer to Lady Grey's question. Wishing on a star might be a fun thing to do on a date or make for a nice song, but praying to the God who made it is bound to be more effective.

I'll avoid any further controversy and say no more on the subject - here in this post.

Colster, I recognize your aversion to religion, and especially Christianity, but I don't criticize you harshly as you've done twice to me now. Perhaps you could allow as much tolerance for me as I do for you. We're allowed to have differing views here. That's what makes a forum interesting. May I suggest that you and others may freely present your secular world view perspectives here as I present my Biblical world view perspectives - with each showing mutual respect for the other?

Ewomack, you've done a better job at rationally challenging my views, thank-you. I would enjoy defending them but two things stop me. First, we're allowed to express religious views here but we're not allowed to argue. I'm afraid that answering your questions adequately would eventually cross a line that someone would object to. Second, I've learned that arguing about evidence with someone holding a strong secular world view serves no purpose. We can see the same evidence but our differing world views will cause us to interpret the conclusions differently. I've no desire to argue with anyone holding strong opposing views, be it politics or religion, but to you or anyone with an open heart, seeking God and receptive to apologetic evidence supporting Christianity and the Bible, feel free to personally message me.

Now, for anyone else following this thread, Lady Grey has posed a profound question with religious implications. The true atheist cannot believe that the universe has a soul because atheism's foundation relies upon materialism or naturalism - thus rejecting any spirit or supernatural force. So their simple answer should be no - the universe is not sympathetic to our wishes. The theist believes in the supernatural but may have various views on how and where that entity fits into or outside of the universe.

The Biblical view of the universe is best imagined as a sealed, empty box. The scientific Law of Causality and First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics dictate that the space, time, energy, and matter now in this box had to be created by something outside of the box - something supernatural, not subject to the box's physical scientific laws. In the same way, something supernatural outside of the box is required to have established the scientific laws we now observe inside the box. Thus, a supernatural Creator outside of the natural universe is consistent with science - and the Bible. Anyone accepting this premise should then appreciate my previous answer to Lady Grey's question. Wishing on a star might be a fun thing to do on a date or make for a nice song, but praying to the God who made it is bound to be more effective.

I'll avoid any further controversy and say no more on the subject - here in this post.
How do murdered babies fit with the idea of an all-loving God?
He was bored one weekend? Either he was unwilling to intervene or unable to intervene. The former makes him a ******. The latter, absent. I have less trouble with the latter.
Religion should remain where it was undoubtebly it's most useful.
In the Dark Ages.

I do appreciate your response and your subdued tone. And yes, I've had many conversations as you describe and they all tend to lead to nothing. For some reason I still enjoy them, though no one ever leaves the table with their minds changed. I think the reason for the deadlock is that when it comes to such fundamentals no one really has a clue, but we all have our wishes and desires to fulfill. I would love to be able to believe in a loving God who imposes a moral structure on the universe and somehow it all "makes sense," but it all seems like too much of a human construction to me and it's just too rife with inconsistencies and unanswered questions for me to get on board. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I know there is no supernatural being in the universe, I just suspect that there isn't one. And if there is one, I highly suspect that it would not resemble the Biblical God. But ultimately, you can't use arguments to prove or disprove such a thing. So I ultimately think that no one actually knows anything about the supernatural, because how could we? This is all in the realm of belief. And that's fine as long as belief stays in the realm of belief.

On physics and science, if you restate your position that modern science is "consistent" with religion, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. Your previous statement was much stronger and, in my opinion, misleading. Quantum mechanics theorizes creation from nothing, an idea that even has me scratching my head, but the most recent theories, such as Hawking's M-theory, don't need anything supernatural to start a universe. Whether there is or is not a supernatural being that put this into motion is something that science can't substantiate, prove or even account for, so that was the source of my previous protest. There is no test for God. There are no tests for the supernatural. You can, of course, say that a supernatural being put it all into motion, but that doesn't really mean at a lot at this point, but it also doesn't imply that modern physics and science dictate one, or even make one necessary. There is no basis for that claim at this time. Science and modern physics do not dictate the existence of God or the supernatural. Again, that doesn't mean that there isn't some kind of higher power. I'm not arguing that. No one really knows if there is or isn't one in the end. Maybe that will change over time, maybe not. And I'm not going to argue that I know there is not a God or some equivalent, because I don't, but I also don't think that anyone else knows or doesn't know either. But we're all free to believe, of course.

What I want to believe in more than anything is that people with greatly opposed views can still act towards each other civilly and with respect. You do this pretty well and I do really respect that, person to person. Though people hold views different to my own, I still consider them valuable as human beings. We're all in this big muddled miasma together, after all.

Last edited:
No, if you want to talk trash and then take a moral high tone, having been called out, then that Sir, makes you a hypocrite. But seeing as you believe in your cognitive dissonance, that God created the world, and everything in is perfect and pure, and shaped in his vision. Then I would guess that God out me here to call you a deluded self righteous idiot.

have a good day.

Latest posts

Back