Really putting this out there

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
I don't even know if I will really post this. 

I am having an issue with that lovely three letter word that all relationships need, aka sex. I have low to zero sex drive. I am going to therapist now (only one session so far though), and he diagnosed me with depression, anxiety, and some kind of behavior disorder that I can't remember off the top of my head. I know that depression, self image, and other issues can cause a low sex drive. I straight up have no desire to have sex. It's not him, it's me, my head cannot get into it. 

Anyways, my fiancee, has a really high sex drive, he is like a teenage boy I swear. He is frustrated because he is not getting enough sex, and it's because that is how he feels a connection with me and feels loved. When I reject him, because my head is not into it, he takes it personal. Now, please, no one attack him, none of this is his fault, this is very common.

After doing some research, I decided the best thing I could do is take one for the team. Just do it. Even if the desire is not there, just do it, and fulfill his needs. I am willing to do this, until I get my head straighten out, then maybe I can get back into the desire to have sex. 

I been working on myself. I lost 11 pounds, and working on more. I've been exercising, taking vitamins, and now I am starting therapy. I wrote him a letter, because sometimes, he doesn't always get what I am saying, so spelling it out for an english teacher made sense to me. I asked him to accept I was trying, explained why my desire was gone, explained that I understood his needs, and was willing to have sex with him even though I wasn't wanting it. I said I would like him to respect me through my journey, and that I cannot fix this over night. I asked for patience. 

I met up with him a little after and asked for his thoughts. His response was, "We'll see how it goes." 

I am so hurt by this. We'll see? What? Does he think I am going to fail? Does he not believe I am trying and want it to get better? Does he even want it to work? (these are questions I will be asking him soon).

I had to leave, I couldn't take the pain. I feel like I put so much responsibility on me, and I'm trying, but I can't even get encouragement? He is the one that is miserable in our relationship, he can't even have hope?

Sorry this is so long...

Hi Nicolet,

I am sorry that you feel this way, obviously, it's very frustrating to be in a committed relationship, yet not entirely there in all aspects.
I do suggest, however, is that you try to understand your partner, when you tell your other half "I don't want to have sex with you but I will, in order to please you" it can be misinterpreted as a very insulting statement, especially when the guy doesn't know exactly what you are going through.
So he probably swallowed in what he really wanted to say and gave you a very diplomatic response in the form of "oh well, we'll see"

What will be beneficial for your relationship is not forcing yourself into sex, but having yourself want sex and enjoy it, for that you need time and if you do decide to go for it when you are not into it, I don't think sharing that fact with the guy is positive.

roy1986 said:
I do suggest, however, is that you try to understand your partner, when you tell your other half "I don't want to have sex with you but I will, in order to please you" it can be misinterpreted as a very insulting statement, especially when the guy doesn't know exactly what you are going through.

The thing is though....this is his idea. He wanted me to watch a TedTalks, and the solution of this problem is for the woman to just do it. And eventually it will be okay.

I can't get myself to want sex. I have zero desire. I don't think about it, and to me it's like "if I'm not hungry, why go cook a meal?"

So I thought this would work. I also wanted him to know I am trying for him.

I guess if you don't want  actual sex there's games, toys, oral and probably other things? Do these have any appeal? He would probably enjoy the attention I know I would hehe.

I think that response of his was probably out of being flustered with the situation. He might be just as confused (for lack of better word), just on the flip side.

Nicolelt said:
roy1986 said:

The thing is though....this is his idea. He wanted me to watch a TedTalks, and the solution of this problem is for the woman to just do it. And eventually it will be okay.

I can't get myself to want sex. I have zero desire. I don't think about it, and to me it's like "if I'm not hungry, why go cook a meal?"

So I thought this would work. I also wanted him to know I am trying for him.

I see, well regardless he may be confused and think how to cope with it. 
Do you have some non-sexual intimacy? I mean, like hugging, kissing, holding hands etc?

Just a guess...he might think you don't want him anymore. That maybe you're not attracted to him. No one on Earth ever wants to feel like their partner is just doing the deed because they're obligated to.
Now, I'm not saying that you did anything wrong. You are obviously trying very hard to work things out inside and that's absolutely the best way to move forward.
If he was upset or felt bad, I imagine it was just your choice of words that he took the wrong way and they likely hurt his feelings. "I was willing to have sex even though I didn't want it." He may have heard, "I'm willing to have sex even though I don't want you."
I'd keep doing what you're doing and slowly rebuild the intimacy.
I really hope everything starts moving in the right direction for you.

What response would you have wanted? I'm only asking because to me his response looks reasonable given the uncertainty of the situation.

Perhaps he's frustrated and uncertain mixed together. I'm not entirely sure how long this has been apparent for the both of you? I suppose if it has been for quite some time, it could be exasperating for him, as much as it is for you.

I do hope he can see past all the emotions he might be feeling and see that you're truly trying your best to make this work. The fact that you've been working on yourself, and even willing to do it anyway despite not having the desire shows a lot of commitment on your end.

Did the therapist suggest anything else that might help boost your drive? I have also heard that there are some natural food products that may help boost a woman's sex drive as well though I've never really looked into them. I don't like the idea of popping chemical pills for this so I'm not even gonna go down that route.

Would having a verbal heart to heart talk with your fiancee as a follow-up to the letter help though? I do hope he will give you a chance to work through this - and that he will work through it with you too which might just help.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, hope things will work out soon.

ladyforsaken said:
Did the therapist suggest anything else that might help boost your drive? I have also heard that there are some natural food products that may help boost a woman's sex drive as well though I've never really looked into them. I don't like the idea of popping chemical pills for this so I'm not even gonna go down that route.

Have you gone to a medical doctor? I realize they probably won't be too helpful but it can rule any physical reason out for you to stop desiring sex. Another dumb question... can I assume that he isn't good at it? Or put another way.. what kind of sex? Are you doing all the work? Or not getting your happy ending. Sometimes changing the routine can help too. Toys etc. ( shocking what you can get on amazon).

My suggestion is to consider Progesterone Creme. I took that once to get hormones balanced and OMG... I found my sex drive.  Seriously I didn't know I didn't have one until I took that. You can buy it at amazon.  Estrogen kills your sex drive and with particular foods and the environment you can have too much Estrogen which kills your drive and makes things dry down there.

I don't think he is trying to hurt you. I think he is just desperate for sex.

Nicolelt said:
After doing some research, I decided the best thing I could do is take one for the team. Just do it. Even if the desire is not there, just do it, and fulfill his needs. I am willing to do this, until I get my head straighten out, then maybe I can get back into the desire to have sex. 

Feeling obliged to 'take one for the team' could result in ongoing resentment towards your fiancee. He should be willing to be understanding about this for now.

Why cook a meal if you're not hungry? Because maybe someone you love is. It doesn't mean you have to cook every meal, but there are two people in your relationship, and one is unfulfilled by your lack of interest in sharing with him something he needs. No, this is not your fault if you aren't into it for your own reasons, but it's not fair to make him starve or accept no sex just because you have no drive whatsoever and no real way of knowing it if it will come back. I don't think his answer was meant to be hurtful, but being constantly rejected in the bedroom isn't a good feeling either, so maybe try to embrace that there is more going on in a partnership than just your own problems. Have you tried to explore your own fantasies a little bit to see if there is anything that turns you on at all? Did you used to be turned on by him? I'm sorry, I'm definitely not trying to be harsh, but it's not realistic IMO to expect someone who wants it to settle for no sex or pity sex just because they love you. You can't really expect him to be happy with the prospect of dry ramen for the rest of his life.

littlefish1555 said:
Why cook a meal if you're not hungry?  Because maybe someone you love is.  It doesn't mean you have to cook every meal, but there are two people in your relationship, and one is unfulfilled by your lack of interest in sharing with him something he needs.  No, this is not your fault if you aren't into it for your own reasons, but it's not fair to make him starve or accept no sex just because you have no drive whatsoever and no real way of knowing it if it will come back.  I don't think his answer was meant to be hurtful, but being constantly rejected in the bedroom isn't a good feeling either, so maybe try to embrace that there is more going on in a partnership than just your own problems.  Have you tried to explore your own fantasies a little bit to see if there is anything that turns you on at all?  Did you used to be turned on by him?  I'm sorry, I'm definitely not trying to be harsh, but it's not realistic IMO to expect someone who wants it to settle for no sex or pity sex just because they love you. You can't really expect him to be happy with the prospect of dry ramen for the rest of his life.

But I do have sex with him when he wants it. I just don't tell him when I want it, or make moves because I don't have the desire to. I find him attractive, and once we have sex, I enjoy it. I just don't start it. I was really hoping his reaction was going to be like...he believes I'll get better, or just have a hint of confidence in me.

Nicolelt said:
littlefish1555 said:
Why cook a meal if you're not hungry?  Because maybe someone you love is.  It doesn't mean you have to cook every meal, but there are two people in your relationship, and one is unfulfilled by your lack of interest in sharing with him something he needs.  No, this is not your fault if you aren't into it for your own reasons, but it's not fair to make him starve or accept no sex just because you have no drive whatsoever and no real way of knowing it if it will come back.  I don't think his answer was meant to be hurtful, but being constantly rejected in the bedroom isn't a good feeling either, so maybe try to embrace that there is more going on in a partnership than just your own problems.  Have you tried to explore your own fantasies a little bit to see if there is anything that turns you on at all?  Did you used to be turned on by him?  I'm sorry, I'm definitely not trying to be harsh, but it's not realistic IMO to expect someone who wants it to settle for no sex or pity sex just because they love you. You can't really expect him to be happy with the prospect of dry ramen for the rest of his life.

But I do have sex with him when he wants it. I just don't tell him when I want it, or make moves because I don't have the desire to. I find him attractive, and once we have sex, I enjoy it. I just don't start it. I was really hoping his reaction was going to be like...he believes I'll get better, or just have a hint of confidence in me.
I get that, I'm not a big initiator either, I guess I thought you were saying you didn't want to have sex with him whatsoever, if you enjoy it while you're doing it I don't think there's much of a problem.  Most women kind of need to be seduced a little, I feel like it's a rare one who is alway making the first moves.  If you're attracted to him and get into it once it's going I don't really see what he has to complain about other than having to up his seduction/foreplay game a little to get you going.   Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.  Sounds to me like maybe  like he needs to be asking you what HE can do for YOU :)

I don't know if it will help you, but in case it will, I will talk about myself a bit. I got a huge sex drive, meaning that I need sex/masturbation around 10-20 times a day. I cannot live without it, it is an addiction. Once a couple of hours I start to boil and I really need to do and ejaculate a couple of times to refresh my mind and keep focusing on my daily tasks. After that, I slowly feel more and more sexually aroused until I can't take it anymore and I need it again. I talk only to girls that are like me or willing to have sex in this way, satisfying me. If I am not sexually satisfied, I become very angry and I cannot control myself, so I give up any girl that fails to meet my standards instantly. It is not them, it is me, I have that need and I will never force myself to be otherwise. And when we are not having sex, we must talk about it. I need her to call/text me and talk sexy to me, send nudes and everything that would stimulate my sexual desires. Exceptions are when we are busy, but I still need it at least a couple of times a day to survive and that will work only for a very limited period of time. I am very romantic as a person, I love making a girl feel amazing with me, I bring them flowers, chocolate, gifts, almost all the time, I love making them special and I do mostly all the work in the bedroom, without much complaint about it. I also enjoy to satisfy them more than satisfying myself, by the time I get an orgasm, they get around 2-3 while I'm doing a ******* marathon, literally. It also makes me very active and happy, especially because of the skills I have. I just need it and I can't and won't change. The trick is to find a person that is for me if I want a long-term relationship. That's how we are, we can't change. I had one relationship of almost 2 years, with a girl who had a pretty low sex drive in comparison to mine, like once/twice a day. I felt that it was a complete nightmare, but the love that I had for her forced me to wait for her to change for me. It never happened. Since then I am very forthright and if I want a relationship I talk about these things right from the beginning. If it's not possible, I don't get involved at all. I believe that when he says "we will see how it goes" he means, "you'll either satisfy me in the way I want or we're done". At least, that's what I would mean by that. A lot of people have this problem, couples with different sex drives, and they are looking for advice. Most people respond to that by saying that the ones with the higher desire are frustrated, crazy, they are the problem, they should change, it's a phase, they can't go on like this forever, just wait and they will change or so. We will not. It's just how we are, and you are just how you are. I am like this since I was 10. If I were you I'd just give up and find a person who can suit my needs. I don't want to force them, I can understand that they are different and they have to understand this as well. Maybe I am too brusque and maybe some people can change, but personally, I believe that these things are personality traits, they never change and they shouldn't and I don't have the patience to wait for somebody to see if they can change. Now when a girl gives me some signals like "do you have a girlfriend?", I start by observing how much time is she spending talking to me. If she has other commitments and won't give me literally thousands of texts a day then most likely I will refuse her. I need a lot of attention, contact, touches, kisses, hugs, romantism and sex, and I believe he is somehow similar in this respect (maybe more focused on sex). If you want to ask me something, please do. Hope this helps.

Nicolelt said:
I don't even know if I will really post this. 

I am having an issue with that lovely three letter word that all relationships need, aka sex. I have low to zero sex drive. I am going to therapist now (only one session so far though), and he diagnosed me with depression, anxiety, and some kind of behavior disorder that I can't remember off the top of my head. I know that depression, self image, and other issues can cause a low sex drive. I straight up have no desire to have sex. It's not him, it's me, my head cannot get into it. 

Anyways, my fiancee, has a really high sex drive, he is like a teenage boy I swear. He is frustrated because he is not getting enough sex, and it's because that is how he feels a connection with me and feels loved. When I reject him, because my head is not into it, he takes it personal. Now, please, no one attack him, none of this is his fault, this is very common.

I been working on myself. I lost 11 pounds, and working on more. I've been exercising, taking vitamins, and now I am starting therapy. I wrote him a letter, because sometimes, he doesn't always get what I am saying, so spelling it out for an english teacher made sense to me. I asked him to accept I was trying, explained why my desire was gone, explained that I understood his needs, and was willing to have sex with him even though I wasn't wanting it. I said I would like him to respect me through my journey, and that I cannot fix this over night. I asked for patience. 

I met up with him a little after and asked for his thoughts. His response was, "We'll see how it goes." 

I am so hurt by this. We'll see? What? Does he think I am going to fail? Does he not believe I am trying and want it to get better? Does he even want it to work? (these are questions I will be asking him soon).

I had to leave, I couldn't take the pain. I feel like I put so much responsibility on me, and I'm trying, but I can't even get encouragement? He is the one that is miserable in our relationship, he can't even have hope?

Sorry this is so long...

This is... Quite the problem... But it's not an uncommon one.

You describe your low sex drive and talk about how you've been to a therapist and have been diagnosed with Anxiety, Depression and the like (I'm sorry by the way, any combination of those things is absolutely dreadful and I feel for you as someone who has suffered with those things for huge chunks of his life)
... Did you ever have a "normal" (and I use this phrase VERY loosely, because "normal" sex drive doesn't exist IMO) sex drive? Was your intimate relationship more frequent when you started dating and has become more infrequent due to occurrences or changes in your life (Or perhaps even, because of the length of your relationship)?
Or have you always had a very low libido?

Regardless of your answer, neither of them can be considered a bad thing.

If the answer to this is that you used to have a higher sex drive but then you got promoted at work, or school became really stressful, or you've been battling with demons... Then this is a matter of fixing the cause (Assuming you WANT to of course, but that's a discussion for another time.) in order to bring your libido back to where it was.
If this is a matter of a lengthy relationship and the sex just... Becoming less frequent? It's pretty natural and will require both parties to put in the work if Sex is to be kept frequent.

If you've ALWAYS had a low libido? It could be less a matter of whose at fault, and more a matter of you two simply not being sexually compatible.
Sexual compatibility is a pretty big part of any relationship because Sex is a pretty big party of many relationships (and a really small part of others, which is why sexual compatibility is important for ANY relationship) and being compatible with one another can make a relationship go a lot smoother, or become a lot more difficult.
If the two of you aren't sexually compatible, then you both need to communicate a lot more, and be VERY honest with each other about everything if you wanna make things work out to the best of your abilities. Simply leaving things alone won't work out because from my personal experience, it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
One person (in this case, your fiancee) is left wanting sex a lot more than the other (In this case, you) and that can cause conflict in the relationship, especially if the initiator is always denied... It can leave them feeling unloved, make them feel undesired, like you don't want or care about them which can, in turn, hurt their self-esteem.

There are two very important components here that need to be acknowledged or else things aren't going to go well.
1. You are ABSOLUTELY NOT in the wrong for feeling the way you do, regardless of the situation. Blaming yourself will not fix anything, and either of you blaming each other will not fix anything either, though you seem to have a pretty good grasp of this which is a good thing.
This is something that needs to be worked on from both ends, and I'm really happy that you're putting steps in place to fix things on your end, going to a therapist is a fantastic idea to try and increase that libido and it really shows that you're trying to make this work. Your fiancee will hopefully support you on this path.
2. Your fiancee has desires the same as you, and while it is fantastic that you're putting steps in place to try and fix what you perceive to be a problem... Level of understanding is required from both ends. He is going to want Sex because he has a much higher drive than you, you need him to be patient yet you need to be equally as understanding of his drive as he needs to be of your lack of, so to speak.

Now then... I think you've done an incredible job thus far, but I as a hot blooded male see a potential... Error in judgment.

I asked him to accept I was trying, explained why my desire was gone, explained that I understood his needs, and was willing to have sex with him even though I wasn't wanting it. I said I would like him to respect me through my journey, and that I cannot fix this over night. I asked for patience.

The rest of it I think is marvelous and you should be commended for going about it in such an exemplary manner, but the bolded part I can see a potential issue.
How you phrased this could entirely change how it came across, but for me as a hot blooded male I could definitely see this as meaning a couple of different things.

1. "I'm not attracted to you sexually, but I'll still have sex with you anyway."
Whether it be because he thinks you believe he doesn't get you off, or because he doesn't please you, or you're too rough, or inexperienced, or you don't like the way he looks or... (The list can go on and on and on) this is horrifying for someone to hear, especially from their partner.
2. "I don't want sex, but you do so I GUESS I'll do it to make you happy..."
Of course implying that it's a massive hassle for you, completely taking the mood, emotion and intimacy of the experience. This could also be taken in a condescending manner, saying that his desires are a bother or that his sexual desires mean little to you
3. "I'm in a really difficult place at the moment, and I understand that you have your sexual needs... And I'm willing to work through this with you and try my best to be more sexually active if it will help our relationship"
This is the third option and this is how you HOPE he's taken it (and also how I hope you've phrased it). This means that he has no reason not to comprehend that you understand his position and that you're willing to work with him as a couple to fix what you both perceive to be a problem in your relationship. This is the option that you BOTH want, because this is the option that will be the most productive.

Now granted, I completely understand that this ISN'T what you've said, but I of course, am a third party who is not in your fiancee's position, I can think with a clear head because I'm not emotionally involved with you at all and you didn't say all of this to me directly.
But HIM? If you told him that, he could have taken it ANY NUMBER of different ways and his potential reaction can be justified or not entirely based on your delivery.

Now this could very well be miscommunication on BOTH ends here depending on how you've taken HIS response.
The best case scenario here, is that he's saying "We'll see" in response to you having sex with him because he wants it...
But hopefully he's not saying it as in "Pfft, we'll see" *Rolls eyes* because he thinks you aren't going to have sex with him and this is a problem that isn't going to be fixed...
Hopefully he's saying "We'll see." As in, "We'll see how you're feeling at the time." which is considerate of your feelings as a person.

Regardless, I think he's rather shocked and I think its definitely going to take some time for it all to sink in for him but this is something that the two of you are going to need to communicate about frequently, and often and this is something that you need to tell him.
You two are going to need to be VERY honest with each other about everything, you want him to be as honest with you as you are with him, and you both need to make it absolutely clear that you're not going to take anything personally... Because he's going to have opinions, desires and needs and so are you.

You're both going to need to find a middle ground here and I think the MOST important thing here is to NOT get upset with him about his response to you. His response can be just as justified as your response is to him and you being angry at him is no better than him being angry at you and that will get neither of you anywhere.
I think that you should put his response aside, ask him about it if you wish, but don't put any weight in what he's said if you two really wanna make this work (because it will do nothing but hurt your relationship, it offers more harm than good, so you should throw it aside for the sake of the relationship IMO)... Instead, communicate and work with him (and hopefully, he will work with you in return) to improve on your relationship, because he SHOULD know that if things continue the way they're going, it more than likely won't end too well... Especially if he can't put his sexual drive on hold (but if he cares about you, and your relationship enough, and as long as you're both willing to work as a team, I think you'll be able to manage through it)

Hey Nicole, heh.  Don't know if you remember me...

I remember you as happy...!!  Don't be sad, you are happy! :p (big help, huh?)

Not so sure I am big on advice.  My life is like a pantry with no food and a cat is in there...  How did that cat get in the **** pantry?  Glad it's still alive.  Wonder how long it's been in there.  And there is some post-it notes in there too and some old raisin bran.  Ew, that cat was in there a while, apparently...  I own a cat?  Weird...

Anywho...

It seems a bit absurd that some one with problems could help some one else with problems.  Mental health professionals are often extremely messed up people.  Yet, they go around making a living off of doing work to supposedly improve other people's lives.  I suppose in my experience I've found that there is always a dark side, or perhaps, a heads and a tails to every person and their situation.  I find it weird; but, it really isn't.  Some people join a cult, other people pray.  People go to church.  Some people don't believe in G-d.  If you have the cash, it's for certain some one has the cure.  And, no matter who you are, where you are, most everyone is trying to change their situation in some way or another.

I am of the mind to believe there are happy people out there.  And if they aren't happy, they have company in their misery.  Maybe those are just people having, "good days"?  Maybe some of them are just having, "a good life?"  If there are good days and bad, perhaps their are good lives and bad...

I'm mostly just kind of following along a string of thoughts here, so if you are reading, that's pretty kewl, maybe...

If I knew the answer to your problem, your situation, I probably wouldn't be in my own; though, I am sure they are quite different.

Simply put, you are down and out and don't feel like getting frisky, and your lover does...

You could fake it and just try to take care of his needs; but, then your own are not met.  It's not my place to judge your man; but, in assumption of a relationship, I would deduce that it is his desire to meet your needs as well.

So you could not have sex and that problem isn't solved, or you could fake being intimate, and the problem still remains, because he (I'm deducing) has no way to meet your needs.

Some of the most successful relationships are actually built on very simple precepts.  A man with money finds a woman who likes money and the things it can buy.  She meets his needs for intimacy and he meets her needs for material possessions.  Whatever one's opinion of such an arrangement, these two have something you and your bo, and many people in relationships don't have; and, that is an understanding.  They know what the other wants and how to provide that.

I don't like getting super psychology on situations like these, because when that happens, I tend to feel like the whole of every single social relationship just boils down to a traders market of buying and selling needs.  Perhaps from a far enough removed position, that is all it boils down to; but, it's emotionless and cut off in my opinion.

The real heart and soul of any relationship is the interplay of emotional content and connection.  What we feel, touch, taste, smell, hear, see, do, and experience together.  Who I am.  Who you are.  Who 'we' are?  Where are we going..?  What are we doing..?

Anywho, I won't philosophize about it anymore.

--------------
quick read...
--------------
If you don't want intimacy, what DO you want?  I don't mean that to sound like (since you don't want what you should, what DO you want?).
I mean, what would you like?  Maybe just right now, this very second.  What would you like?  Is it practical and attainable?  Is it so wild and out there it seems like a far away fantasy from some book?  Maybe it's several things.  Maybe a cup of tea would be nice?

then, there is meeting in the middle of the road.  You can not be intimate and fail at your perceived problem, and be intimate and still fail.  So maybe that's a dirty floor and you don't own a mop to clean it.  What else can you tend to?

As crappy as I am at following such advice, it really boils down to, if you can change, 'it', change it, if not, let go of it.  Or perhaps just set it aside.

It is okay to be disappointed in some one you love.  It is okay to be sad, lonely, down and out.  It's okay to feel like you should be something other than what you are.  It's okay to try and change things.  It's okay if things change.  And if in the end everything is just NOT okay, than that's probably okay too.  Or not. :/ :)

I'm probably way way way out in left field, but that's my lot...

Latest posts

Back