Reasons why you are picked on.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been picked on for years and wondering if I will ever be free from it. I worked account payable and purchasing for years and was picked on and harassed for years then pushed out of my job then the same thing at another company. I went to school and changed my profession then went to work and the same thing. I was knocked down hard even before I soared. I worked for another company thinking I was finally free of harassment and again they were just as bad as everybody else. I am reduced to being a Lyft driver and today got a bad review. I committed myself to not talk to the passengers but this one lady was talkative and friendly so I felt comfortable talking with her. I WAS WRONG!!!!!! I cried my eyes out at home. I am applying for public free clinic and sliding scale payment healthcare because I have been stage 3 for almost four years. I need to see an oncologist because something is wrong. I will go back to work tomorrow and keep my mouth shut. I do not understand how other cancer patients die so soon yet I am sticking around like an old dead goose. I am exhausted at the harassment. I am not angry, resentful, nor do I care to retaliate. I am exhausted. I beg Jesus to take me up to Heaven and heal my poor battered soul. I am beyond depressed but not suicidal and do not wish evil on nobody.
I had a very hard childhood and life. I do not want to go to church because churches like winners. I am just tired and want to go to Heaven.

I haven't been picked on per se in a long time. But when I was it was for having non-masculine interests. I don't mean like feminine interests, I mean "nerdy" interests. Because I guess you are supposed to like real-world things only, things that "create value" for others so you can compete for social status.

Also, I wasn't good at anything - especially not being better at anything than other people.

I didn't keep up with cultural references, and I wasn't "funny" or "witty" - I didn't like to mock things, and I wasn't good at quick thinking.

Also because I didn't have an aggressive, competitive, antagonistic, dominant personality, I didn't have a drive to rebel, take risks, pick fights, make fun of others, or act like I was better than everyone else, and because I wasn't powerful, it wouldn't have worked anyway even if I did.

These things combined to make me seem weak and boring. But I didn't know what to do. I was doing what I wanted, what I thought I was supposed to do, and I wasn't living under some kind of evil regime. There wasn't anything to rebel against. If I tried to, I would have just been inventing a situation, making a problem where there wasn't one. I didn't grow up seeing rebellion as some kind of worthy cause. Most of the people who were rebellious growing up, just seemed spiteful for spite's sake, just being like that to be "cool", not for any heroic purpose. It just didn't make any sense to me, and seemed needlessly nasty.

All that time, I thought I was just liking what I liked, what came naturally to me. I thought "it's a free country", and as long as it didn't hurt anyone, I could do what I wanted and no one's interests were better than anyone else's and who was anyone to tell me that I'm wrong and their interests are "better" than mine. I always heard you were supposed to "just be yourself", and that's what I thought I was doing. I also thought I was supposed to "not worry about being popular or being 'cool'" or "not worry about fitting in", because that stuff was shallow, fake, and immature. I thought you were supposed to be friendly and agreeable, and I thought you weren't supposed to worry about trying to impress others.

I didn't play the social game, being "cool"/popularity, I thought I couldn't anyway because I wasn't born with the right stuff, so I retreated into my own interests, and wasn't deemed "valuable" to others, because not only was I not good at the game, but I wasn't even playing. I was seen as "awkward" for not trying to play the game of being "cooler" than others.

That's why all this stuff about "creating value" for others comes as news to me, because I didn't think connecting with other people was supposed to be so conditional. I'm not saying that everyone should be everyone's friend, I'm just saying that I didn't think getting to know people was supposed to be so exclusive, especially for exclusivity's sake. I thought only ******** who just lucked into having the high cards in life (or at least thought they did), acted that way. Another surprise is that some people like the way jerks act, rude, condescending, dismissive, cocky, cold and aloof, critical, smug and superior, etc., because that's seen as being "high value". I don't value people like that, in fact, when someone acts like that to me I de-value them. But the world seems to like that stuff.

I also thought it as OK to be "just OK', I thought only a few people could be exceptional by the dumb luck of being born with the right stuff, I didn't know that I was supposed to try to be good at things and impress people. And I didn't think I could because I didn't feel like I had a knack for anything.

Looking back I feel like I was ignorant of a lot, and now I have a lot of catching up to do.

One thing I learned from all of it, that I'm still trying to get the hang of, is that when someone tries to pick on you, it's better to respond with sarcasm than rage. When you respond with rage it seems to make others want to take the bully's side, which just enrages me more. Sarcasm however, points out their faults too, like "yeah whatever, you should worry about your own honeysuckle cause you have problems of your own". I'm still trying to get the hang of this as I'm not sarcastic by nature.

I know it's not good to get consumed in this stuff and I don't really sweat the past anymore, the school years. It was what it was, I didn't know any better, and the past wasn't all bad, in fact it was good the vast majority of the time. But I just reflect on it sometimes to get it off my chest, really process it and understand it, and try to not repeat the same mistakes.

My wife picks on me alot lately and i get a bit pi$$ed off with it.Whenever I'm a bit slow,or I drop something, get my words confused she without fail calls me Grandpa Jo.I'm a Dad I'm too young to be called that it makes me feel old.I don't call her Grandma Josephine, I wouldn't do that cause I know she feels and likes to look young.It's not fair I feel like Thirty not eighty two.
On reflection I really should stop moaning I really am lucky to have her.We married  early 20's and I feel the luckiest man alive,I sometimes think having no real friends accept family for so long is a punishment for something I did wrong but having her as my friend for nearly thirty years....I would marry her again like a shot,she's all I ever needed.If you think you've found a good one and after some years being together it starts going pear shaped I think  its best to compromise,it's not all about you,it's important it's about them if you want a happy life :).She never picks on me and I can't think of anyone that does.

I think the main reason I'm picked on is because I let people pick on me. The way I see it, I'm choosing to rise above it or keep the peace. I want to avoid conflict so I don't let myself stand up for myself. And I think that's damaging me even more.

rebeccarose said:
I think the main reason I'm picked on is because I let people pick on me. The way I see it, I'm choosing to rise above it or keep the peace. I want to avoid conflict so I don't let myself stand up for myself. And I think that's damaging me even more.

Walking away from conflict might well be the most productive and least stressful option in some situations.  I think a lot comes down to the matter's level of significance and the likelihood of lasting effects.  If you're being treated badly, and keeping the general peace is destroying your own peace of mind, you're probably right that you need to speak out on your own behalf more often.  It might be difficult, but it might also eliminate or minimize that sort of damage.

Latest posts

Back