Regaining a passion or hobby

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spy

Reaction score
In the last years, I don't know why but one of my biggest hobby (nature photography) doesn't interest me today. Last year only, I must have done photography about eight times max, a lot less than before. I must say that I have feel depressed several times in all those years. It's probably connected.

I would like to know how can I regain this passion about my hobby and regain a fun life? Do you have tips that would help me?

Thanks for your help!

Spy said:
In the last years, I don't know why but one of my biggest hobby (nature photography) doesn't interest me today. Last year only, I must have done photography about eight times max, a lot less than before. I must say that I have feel depressed several times in all those years. It's probably connected.

I would like to know how can I regain this passion about my hobby and regain a fun life? Do you have tips that would help me?

Thanks for your help!

I think some hobbies have a natural life span. If you don't enjoy it then maybe it is best to try something else.

I was into camcorders and shooting short films for a few years but I got fed up with it. Didn't have any friends to show the films to and I got pretty depressed about it. So much so, I sold my camcorder.

Try something new.

Get a new camera, or try a new subject, or make a blog about it.

For example. my passion and hobby is showing dogs. But I lost interest at one point in my life. The dog I was showing was difficult, he hated it! He wouldn't let the judge look at him or anything! Which was frustrating, because he was almost a champion. I started hating dog shows.

So, I found him a new home (my neighbor actually), where he is king of the castle and spoiled rotten, and got a new puppy.

That fresh start was awesome! And I have been showing my new dog for 3 years now. And even though we haven't won anything big. He is still fun and we enjoy it. So I cannot wait til my next dog show!

It's hard to rekindle a hobby it it's just not in you anymore, but you can try what Nicolett suggested and get yourself a new camera, or some kind of new software for photography that will interest you enough.

I already have a very good and very expensive camera and I don't plan to buy another one. I was just hoping somebody would have some tips to help me rekindle my hobby :(

Triple Bogey said:
I think some hobbies have a natural life span. If you don't enjoy it then maybe it is best to try something else.

I was into camcorders and shooting short films for a few years but I got fed up with it. Didn't have any friends to show the films to and I got pretty depressed about it. So much so, I sold my camcorder.

@Triple Bogey - That's too bad - should've thought about creating a blog or personal page or something online and posting all your videos there, there's always an audience on the internet. Do you miss it?

As for the original poster, if you think you think you still might enjoy photography, try a totally different subject matter and see if that rekindles an interest - people, abstract, taking pictures of weird stuff or completely ordinary things from an unusual angle, focusing on one subject only, photos of food....whatever. Just something completely different from nature photography. Could be you're just bored of trees and rivers...;)

Try getting a new camera, and explore different places you haven't been before and take photographs of that. Perhaps you could look for an online forum strictly for photographers and share your pictures there. Make it interesting is what im trying to get at.

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

@Triple Bogey - That's too bad - should've thought about creating a blog or personal page or something online and posting all your videos there, there's always an audience on the internet. Do you miss it?

As for the original poster, if you think you think you still might enjoy photography, try a totally different subject matter and see if that rekindles an interest - people, abstract, taking pictures of weird stuff or completely ordinary things from an unusual angle, focusing on one subject only, photos of food....whatever. Just something completely different from nature photography. Could be you're just bored of trees and rivers...;)

it was before the days of facebook or youtube.

Regarding photography - I could never get fed up of that, so much to look out, every day is different. I am always on the look out for 'the one' - a photograph that will be the best one I have ever done !

Spy wrote I already have a very good and very expensive camera and I don't plan to buy another one. I was just hoping somebody would have some tips to help me rekindle my hobby

I paint, and when I find my inspiration flagging I either go to an exhibition (of good painters lol - not just hobbyistst like moi) or look up artists I am not familiar with. Their skill and passion helps mine, also I think, 'I could try to do something a bit like that with my brushwork' or whatever.

Also I have bought books from the Internet showing the work of artists whose work is not like mine, but who I really like and find inspirational.

I go to an art club with other hobby painters, which also motivates me to continue, even if what I am working on may not be successful at the time.

I also used to write poetry, some of which wasn't that bad, and going to readings, getting the Poetry Society mag, going to workshops and sharing ideas with others really helped. This is not open to me anymore, which is I think why I don't write, (that and a couple of other circumstances).

If you are on your own, (and can afford it) how about a holiday for photographers? Somewhere different. There must be something like that out there and maybe you would meet new people as well. When I wanted to re-kindle this teenage love of painting, I went on a painting holiday, which really kick started me back into it.

No idea if this helps!:)

Spy said:
I already have a very good and very expensive camera and I don't plan to buy another one. I was just hoping somebody would have some tips to help me rekindle my hobby :(

Well then buy a new accessory for it or something. Or like I mentioned, get new software for photography, there are all kinds of editing programs out there and newer more advanced ones come out all the time. Have some fun with old photos you've taken.

I've often tried to take a hint from Stephen King and try my passions in a completely different way to rediscover them. This doesn't necessarily need to involve new equipment, but it could involve a different subject matter, a themed collection or collage, or anything else that's totally new.

For inspiration I'll leave this here: http://www.upworthy.com/meet-the-guy-whos-inspired-millions-with-his-raw-beautiful-portraits

Depression can sap your passion for things, yes. It can leave people without a reason to get out of bed, shower, or leave the house, too.

Spy said:

Thanks for your help!

For me I found having to lug around an SLR gradually sapped the joy out of photography. It might reinvigorate your process if you maybe try a compact large-sensor dealie, something with a fixed lens. Do you do natural light-only? Bring on the strobes! You already strobe it? Go natural! Do you have photographer friends to go out with? It's possible there's a group in your area you could hook up with that could help breathe life into your flacid photobag.

Or don't *try* at all? Do something else and if the inspiration hits you then return to it; if not, it probably won't help to force it. Maybe it's time you tried on some gouache or Tae Kwon Do. Perhaps yes?

I just sold a Nikon L35af on eBay, for almost 40 dollars. This thing is an old film camera... but it attracted a lot of interest from potential buyers, the most I've ever had! Why would anyone want these ol' fossils, these days?

Thanks guys.

In fact, my interest for my lifelong hobby (wildlife observation and nature photography) had vanished slowly in the last three to four years. It started to vanish when I met a cute girl from which I fell in love. I have not seen her or call her for the last year and a half and I don't plan to do this but my interest for nature has not increase since the first time I met her.

In the last year, I pushed myself to try new things and discover new hobbies and it worked. I am now doing some scale modeling, I am playing board games with a few people and I am planning to start model railroading.

Spy said:
Thanks guys.

In fact, my interest for my lifelong hobby (wildlife observation and nature photography) had vanished slowly in the last three to four years. It started to vanish when I met a cute girl from which I fell in love. I have not seen her or call her for the last year and a half and I don't plan to do this but my interest for nature has not increase since the first time I met her.

In the last year, I pushed myself to try new things and discover new hobbies and it worked. I am now doing some scale modeling, I am playing board games with a few people and I am planning to start model railroading.

What about photographs of sunsets ?
They are always different !
You should never get bored doing them !

Spy said:
Thanks guys.

That is unusual. The "new things" approach doesn't work for everyone, but at least you haven't lost your creative spirit entirely. It's a sad thing to go without once you've discovered it.

Latest posts

Back