Rewarding doers

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quit Claim

Reaction score
I just felt like writing this somewhere anywhere cause I am stressed.

Doers win. Society rewards human doers. What is school all about? Doing work so you can go to college. What is college all about? Doing stuff to figure out what you want to do later on. What do you do later on? You do more stuff. That's all. All society wants from you is to be productive. Do stuff. Just do stuff. Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do.

Hell, for school, it doesn't matter if you do crappy, half-assed work. You can do all your work by cheating, stealing, copying, etc, too. As long as it is done, it's all good. Just do stuff. That's all you're worth. What you do.

Human Doer.

Why be a human-being? That gets you nothing nowhere nohow nowhen. What does it matter if you are a human being?

It doesn't

You'd get bored if you did nothing.

Do you think it's a negative thing, that society rewards the "doers".
I think prefer being a "doer" to being a lazy arse that doesn't get off the sofa.

Doing is key to survival even at the most basic beginning level of a society.

If farmers didn't Do, we wouldn't eat.
If the loggers, mill workers, and masons didn't Do, we would have no shelter.
Moving on to more advanced technological niceties, if the programmers and engineers didn't Do, we would have no modern entertainment or what has become the primary method of information distribution.

You see where I'm going.

So the more you Do with whatever it is you choose to strive for, the more you are rewarded (money), and the more you can have because you put forth a bigger share. That's the theory, at any rate, and it more or less works with a few exceptions here and there. And if you Do enough, and earn enough, and don't spend wastefully, you can take a vacation here and there...take some time to -not- Do.

But Doing, as you put it, is not a bad thing. It's actually very natural. If we all stopped Doing, we would eventually die.

Take pride in your work, whatever it is, and always put forth your best effort. You will eventually find it appreciated.

I used to do what I thought was the most pointless **** job in the world. I worked in the woods thinning trees and clearing out the prolific, flammable underbrush that grows below the forest understory. We did this for the purposes of beautification, fire prevention, and to keep whatever parcel of land we were 'treating' healthy. On one or two occasions, we did it for the purpose of logging, to make the trees more accessible.

But it seemed so pointless. I toiled, sweat, and sometimes bled every day for two years, just to get up the next morning to pile cut-down trees and brush somewhere else. Choke on smoke from the burn piles, gag on the massive dust cloud as the chipper spews out the remains of a rotten log. Put in your ear plugs and slave away to the deafening rattle of the diesel beast.

But eventually I started looking at it differently. I started wondering, through this work, how many houses will survive a wildfire? How many millions of dollars (years of people's hard work) have I protected? How many more board feet of lumber will grow in the next ten years because of the nutrient-sapping shrubs and sick trees we removed? How many people look out their window now in the morning and watch their deer and elk walk through a beautiful, parked out forest instead of a looking out to see a sickly, impervious dog-hair thicket?

My Doing, which seemed so pointless, has produced countless acres of the above.

And I received just compensation, I thought. I've enjoyed myself so far.

It was dirty and miserable. But when you get right down to it, it is absolutely crucial work. And even though I've moved on, I take great pride and joy in having done what I did.

I agree with Brian.
I thought about the meaning of life while eating some pringles, and suddenly I realized something essential about it.
My life has no meaning. Well, I have goals but no true purpose, nothing to live for. What is it? I thought about a family - wife and children. Then about a work. Ruling cities and countries to achieve happiness for humankind like in videogames, write or paint masterpieces, help orphans their in daily life,... then I thought about my old hobbies: aquarism and plants. Because I loved to take care of beautiful and living things. Micro ecosystems. little worlds.
Something above our lives.

In my opinion you have to do things, but among those try to do something greater and you could be in peace with yourself.

For the record, what I'm really actually stressed out is about how our education system is regurgitated horse honeysuckle.

"In a no-child-left-behind conception of public education, lifting everyone up to a minimum level is more important than allowing students to excel to their limit."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1653653,00.html

Not implying that I am in any way a genius, because I am not in any such way. The quote is what I'm really interested in because it applies not only to the geniuses, but to all students. I only posted the link because that's where I got the quote from, even though similar messages can be seen throughout all reports criticizing NCLB (I am doing a paper on it). What I really want is to do and be great things, but all I'm allowed to do and be is whatever is necessary. The bare-minimum.

My problem is I have nothing to do. Doing nothing let me tell you is damaging. But I had a job ones where the supervisor got you doing stuff for the sake of doing it. I hate ppl that create work. But I am starting to see sometimes its necessary to do that other wise everyone would be Bord to DEATH like me.

Also Smart kids really do my head in. They never know how lucky they are to find stuff like that so easy. Just makes me wont to slap the little ******* smart twats hah

i seriousely do doupt that...if you see a bonch of mexicains getting arrested
for doing hard work...You'll have a different opinion or insite.
Hookers giving blow jobs and doing half of the city counsel and getting arrested too.lol

What you do is like Paris Hilton...Get fucken laid, party all day, make a vedio and honeysuckle money.
That ***** is smart....

Unacceptance said:
*Raises an American flag blowing in the wind behind Brian*

Haha. I lol'd.

Claim, I understand a bit better now. And I'm afraid I have to agree with you...I was out of the school system before NCLB was enacted, but the foreshadowing was there.

If you want to reach your 'best', then you might find better luck doing it yourself. Writing a paper on the issue I think is a great idea. Depending on what grade you're in you might be able to have a class discussion on it and really challenge some ideas (I loved those discussions in English 101).

But sometimes the best successes are found outside the school system. The internet has come a long way in regards to what you can find on it...what are you interested in doing better at? You could probably manage to study independently on certain subjects.

Lonesome Crow said:
What you do is like Paris Hilton...Get fucken laid, party all day, make a vedio and honeysuckle money.
That ***** is smart....

ROFL

Latest posts

Back