Roguelike games

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simple Bob

Reaction score
Hello,

"Losing is fun"

Any roguelike players here?
If not, then motto above should provide vital information about this games genre.

Most often than not you simply cannot win, games like Dwarf Fortress or Prospector have no end, and if they do (like Nethack), it will take numerous attempts and deaths to even learn the basics.
Why play games like this then? Well, becouse losing is fun.
Where else can your space Alter Ego, Bane of Pirates and Aliens, Conqueror of Galaxy with high-end equipment, die on a surface of a forgotten planet, becouse you forgot to refill your oxygen tanks? Where else your brave Dwarf, with backpack full of magical items and divine weaponry may die of hunger after killing Mr. World Slaying Demon? All that matters is how much fun you had while playing and how awesome and random your death was. Then what do you do? Start a new character of course!

How do you feel about this type of games? And if you play 'em, which one are your favourites?

perfanoff said:
FTL is the only roguelike I've played. I loved it :)

True enough, FTL was really well done and I replayed through it countless times, even though unlocking Crystal ship can only be described as !TORMENT!, SO MANY different random events that have to be present during the playthrough, guh!

And those **** Nebulas!

Anyway, even though it's not really a roguelike I can recommend Space Rangers 2 to you, game is really fun and shares some themes with FTL.

Cheers!

I never played one of those old roguelikes, but I spent a lot (A LOT) of time on Binding of Isaac, which has strong roguelike elements.

And I absolutely LOVED FTL. I just found it awesome that you could, for example, get really lucky, have an overpowered ship, and then just lose because you forgot to turn your oxygen back on, or defeat a powerful enemy ship and then all your crewmembers die in ship fires, or... well, you get the picture.

ajdass1 said:
I never played one of those old roguelikes, but I spent a lot (A LOT) of time on Binding of Isaac, which has strong roguelike elements.

Oh my, this game is really weird :) there were so many WTF moments for me that I don't even know.
I'm glad that roguelikes are not dead genre, forever condemned to suffer ASCII graphics.

/////I recommend to check game called "Flotilla", it's a good one, with some roguelike stuff.

I've only played one of the old ASCII ones - ADOM.
Hard as hell and unforgiving as any roguelike.

Also played some of the modern variants, Binding of Isaac / FTL / Dwarf Fortress.
There's a big difference in the modern ones in that there is at least some kind of progression though, mostly with unlocks.

Sigma said:
There's a big difference in the modern ones in that there is at least some kind of progression though, mostly with unlocks.

That's true and I actually like this, unlike useless achievements.

////There's good free roguelike with decent graphics and quite nice story, Tomes of Maj'Eyal

Simple Bob said:
perfanoff said:
FTL is the only roguelike I've played. I loved it :)

True enough, FTL was really well done and I replayed through it countless times, even though unlocking Crystal ship can only be described as !TORMENT!, SO MANY different random events that have to be present during the playthrough, guh!

And those **** Nebulas!

Anyway, even though it's not really a roguelike I can recommend Space Rangers 2 to you, game is really fun and shares some themes with FTL.

Cheers!

Yeah, I gave up unlocking the Crystal ship :/ I heard the Rock ship has a hidden higher chance to unlock it, I might try with it.

The nebulas are so risky and give such low rewards. I'd rather even go to a Rebel sector than to a nebula.

The last time I played, I remember things were going really well until I sent two guys to board the enemy's bridge and they decided instead to run away with the ship! Deserters! :p

I'll look that space rangers game up :)

perfanoff said:
Yeah, I gave up unlocking the Crystal ship :/ I heard the Rock ship has a hidden higher chance to unlock it, I might try with it.

That is not entirely true, altough Rock ship is far better prepared for this unlock. Reason? Rock Plating, it counts as a blue option for a handful of events. These include acquiring the damaged stasis pod. Just be sure to try and get Long range Scanners, this helps A LOT.

perfanoff said:
The last time I played, I remember things were going really well until I sent two guys to board the enemy's bridge and they decided instead to run away with the ship! Deserters!

Oh my, quite hilarious way to lose people. It's still better than sending crew to board AI drone for the first time ^^

perfanoff said:
I'll look that space rangers game up :)

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back