Sex and relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188685

sunflower lover
Reaction score
I know every couple has sex and everything like that,but I am not looking for a relationship to have sex if that makes any sense at all,If I was in a relationship I would notwant to just have sex,I would want to have fun but not to just have sex,is there anyone that feels this way too?Why is having sex in a relationship so important?

I don’t think that sex itself is important, intimacy and closeness are two things that make relationships work, which granted does usually lead to sex, most people are horny mofos whether they admit it or not but you can be intimate and close in other ways too. I personally would to meet a woman that I can spend a day off playing retro video games with.

I happen to think sex can be extremely fun, heh. In my experience some women are of the mind, that, sex is some how, 'different,' from all other activities. It's that activity that stands all alone, on some island, aside from everything else. It's not.

I can see how it might be viewed that way, and that is what it is. But, to me, love, is something that exists on a spectrum. Red is perhaps carnal passion. Blue is perhaps deep intellectual intimacy. Yellow is perhaps shared experiences of joy. Purple perhaps is a spiritual connection.

So, I think all these things can mix and match, in all sorts of interesting ways. I once was in a relationship where my female partner was mad at ME for not having had sex in over a month. (shame on me :( )

Sex, in of itself, isn't really all that special. I think it's more of what we communicate with it, that can be special. Some times it's as simple as a casual fling. Other times it's a deep expression of true love. Other times, it's playtime with a very close friend.

If you find you are just not that interested in sex, then, my advice would be, make sure as hell, your partner, also only finds it mildly interesting. Otherwise, there will be trouble. Same as there would be trouble if you _loved_ to read, and your partner hated reading. At the beginning, it might not seem like a problem; but, when you get to the point where you really need an outlet for that part of yourself, and your partner just isn't into Robert Frost poems, you'll probably end up feeling very alone in a very important department. And you will be, because your partner will very likely, just never get it, when it comes to the fine arts of literature.

In my opinion, a healthy relationship, more often than not, will involve a healthy amount of sex, of mutual enjoyment and beneficence. Why? Because we are human. Humans are designed to eat food, defecate, sleep, and procreate. It sounds bad when you put it that way; but, it's not. We have those needs, wants, and desires. We also have dreams, high lofty thoughts, sentimental emotions, deep love, altruistic inclinations, and it all goes together. These things are not separate.

It's like a wedding dress. How many people buy these expensive wedding dresses, that they will only wear once in their lives, and then give back to the rental place, or put into a plastic bag, never to be worn again? I think that's silly, but, I think, we some times treat sex like that. Like it's some one time thing, meant only for a certain occasion. It's a dress. A dress is a dress. Some dresses are fancy and worn only once, others are beloved, and worn quite frequently; but, they are all dresses. And a dress has it's occasions, and other times it doesn't. And, some times people just don't like wearing dresses at all. heh. And that's okay.

Last edited:
OP sounds like they might be a teen (might want to keep that in mind).

Whether or not the sex act is important, most people under 40 aren't going to pair up with someone they aren't physically attracted to at all. At least in terms of a latent sexual desire it's going to be important. It's irrelevant to most of us here anyway, being the undesirable.

OP sounds like they might be a teen (might want to keep that in mind).

Whether or not the sex act is important, most people under 40 aren't going to pair up with someone they aren't physically attracted to at all. At least in terms of a latent sexual desire it's going to be important. It's irrelevant to most of us here anyway, being the undesirable.
True

I happen to think sex can be extremely fun, heh. In my experience some women are of the mind, that, sex is some how, 'different,' from all other activities. It's that activity that stands all alone, on some island, aside from everything else. It's not.

I can see how it might be viewed that way, and that is what it is. But, to me, love, is something that exists on a spectrum. Red is perhaps carnal passion. Blue is perhaps deep intellectual intimacy. Yellow is perhaps shared experiences of joy. Purple perhaps is a spiritual connection.

So, I think all these things can mix and match, in all sorts of interesting ways. I once was in a relationship where my female partner was mad at ME for not having had sex in over a month. (shame on me :( )

Sex, in of itself, isn't really all that special. I think it's more of what we communicate with it, that can be special. Some times it's as simple as a casual fling. Other times it's a deep expression of true love. Other times, it's playtime with a very close friend.

If you find you are just not that interested in sex, then, my advice would be, make sure as hell, your partner, also only finds it mildly interesting. Otherwise, there will be trouble. Same as there would be trouble if you _loved_ to read, and your partner hated reading. At the beginning, it might not seem like a problem; but, when you get to the point where you really need an outlet for that part of yourself, and your partner just isn't into Robert Frost poems, you'll probably end up feeling very alone in a very important department. And you will be, because your partner will very likely, just never get it, when it comes to the fine arts of literature.

In my opinion, a healthy relationship, more often than not, will involve a healthy amount of sex, of mutual enjoyment and beneficence. Why? Because we are human. Humans are designed to eat food, defecate, sleep, and procreate. It sounds bad when you put it that way; but, it's not. We have those needs, wants, and desires. We also have dreams, high lofty thoughts, sentimental emotions, deep love, altruistic inclinations, and it all goes together. These things are not separate.

It's like a wedding dress. How many people buy these expensive wedding dresses, that they will only wear once in their lives, and then give back to the rental place, or put into a plastic bag, never to be worn again? I think that's silly, but, I think, we some times treat sex like that. Like it's some one time thing, meant only for a certain occasion. It's a dress. A dress is a dress. Some dresses are fancy and worn only once, others are beloved, and worn quite frequently; but, they are all dresses. And a dress has it's occasions, and other times it doesn't. And, some times people just don't like wearing dresses at all. heh. And that's okay.
True

I think I'm able to sacrifice sex for just love ... well actually it's quite easy with my health problems but I think that once it feels good being together (whatever that means for every couple) and also if you are attracted to each other, the need for getting physical in some way naturally follows and from there on who can predict ... so I guess we should sleep in separate beds and avoid turning-on situations ... reminds me of a movie with Barbara Streisand, I think I'll search for and watch it now

Callie is right, not all couples have sex.

There are also multiple different kinds of relationships.
Some poly, some monogamous, some aromantic, some asexual, and some with deeply religious convictions and practices, etc.

If you're asking why your standard, godless heterosexual monogamous relationship is so sexualized these days, it's largely in part due to the watering down of social values resulting in bland, dry transactionary style relationships. Providence is not given freely anymore than sex is given freely, and so very often couples will conflate the two, thus, making them transactionary.

People want commitment, without the labor of responsibility.
And the fact of the matter is, that's not realistic. Like, at all.
So the result, is the perpetuation of declination.

Shacking-up to split housing costs soon leads to pregnancy...
How many kids are born into these scenarios?
Or aborted?
Welfare mommas learn to abuse the system for money.
Daddys pay child support.
Hearts are broken.
Animosity is rife.
Where is the LOVE?
Western society is truly lost.
Prisons are filled with folks that abused money or broken relationships.
Cheaters never prosper.

Last edited:
I am probably going to go through a honeymoon phase where me and partner are going to have sex every chance we get.

I am, however, mainly looking for a connection with the other person. I want us to talk all night long. I want us to share in each others interests.

So yeah, sex isn't everything but it's an important part of a relationship that requires practice and upkeep in order to learn your partner's needs in bed and for them to learn yours.

To answer your question, sex is important because it is another way to express your love for your partner physically, not to mention satisfying your biological urges.

To have a best friend in which we could not live without one another; but we could not have sex for whatever the reason, I would be happy with the situation. Connecting on an emotional, intellectual, and "spiritual" level is more imperative to me. Am more of a demisexual person.

I think I'm able to sacrifice sex for just love ... well actually it's quite easy with my health problems but I think that once it feels good being together (whatever that means for every couple) and also if you are attracted to each other, the need for getting physical in some way naturally follows and from there on who can predict ... so I guess we should sleep in separate beds and avoid turning-on situations ... reminds me of a movie with Barbara Streisand, I think I'll search for and watch it now
After re-watching that movie I change my statement ... physical intimacy is the very core of a couple relationship ... any thing between two persons can be overruled by this cosmic force called physical attraction ... even when it's suspended by illness, distance, death it continues its action into eternity ... If there is an afterlife I'm sure is full of sex

Probably not a popular opinion, but the older I get, the more I find myself thinking that sex is kinda gross. It's pleasant to think about in the abstract, but often makes relationships difficult - by which I mean heterosexual relationships, I don't think homosexual relationships have the same problem, as men understand men and women understand women.

Probably not a popular opinion, but the older I get, the more I find myself thinking that sex is kinda gross. It's pleasant to think about in the abstract, but often makes relationships difficult - by which I mean heterosexual relationships, I don't think homosexual relationships have the same problem, as men understand men and women understand women.
I kind of relate a bit to that, not gross thought, that's too syrong a word, but I find the svtual intimacy far more pleasant than the actual act itself. Sometimes it felt like a chore, which to my mind should not be the case in a good relationship. Though the older I get, the longer im single, the less important purely physical seems.

Since I been single 15 Years tho, when I find the right girl, im sure i'll manhandle, and let myself get manhandled, to catch up on 15 years of abstinence 😈

I kind of relate a bit to that, not gross thought, that's too syrong a word, but I find the svtual intimacy far more pleasant than the actual act itself. Sometimes it felt like a chore, which to my mind should not be the case in a good relationship. Though the older I get, the longer im single, the less important purely physical seems.

Since I been single 15 Years tho, when I find the right girl, im sure i'll manhandle, and let myself get manhandled, to catch up on 15 years of abstinence 😈

Disgust is relative of course - as Seinfeld says, you'll kiss your partner on the top of their head, but if one of those same hairs ends up in your soup, you're repulsed.

Philip Larkin said that sex is "usually a futile attempt to get someone to blow your own nose for you", which is a funny way to describe what I mean, but tbh I'm kinda over it, I can't see a way I could ever have a satisfying sexual relationship, and I don't think that's such a terrible thing - I live with it, anyway.

Hope it works out for you, anyway.

Older thread a bit, but in line with a convo I had just now. Sex for just sex, I can't do. As cheesy as it is, I make love. There needs to be a connection and it's sort of a mutual giving and receiving.
Anything else to me is a big turn-off. It needs to be passionate and filled with émotions.

Latest posts

Back