short guys at a real disadvantage?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ But I dated guys that were like 5'5" and I'm 6 feet tall... Then I'd wear four inch heels. It never mattered to me... I still don't quite understand you ladies... (d)

For me it's a matter of having old-fashioned ideals about gender roles and such. Guys are supposed to be the protector, and if a guy is shorter than me it doesn't really make me feel protected.

That is not to say short guys are wimps. I am pretty sure many a short man could beat me up. It is simply a mental block where the mind thinks a man taller than me is naturally inclined to be better at defending a woman than a man shorter than me.

I also prefer to look up at people. It feels weird to look down at a person while I'm talking to them.

I've often felt somewhat disadvantaged because of my height, yeah. I'm actually 5'7 or so which is not what I'd ever think of as "short", but when I look around, seems like every guy with a girlfriend is over 6 feet. (High school still so proportion of people in relationships is not that high)

To be fair, I prefer shorter women as well. But height doesn't enter turn-off territory until about 5'9.

Meh for the OP. Sorry man, it has been proven by countless studies that being short is a disadvantage in many aspects of life. You just have to find a way to deal with it and overcome it.

There is an interesting section in a book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell that goes into this in some kind of detail. It is something called "Unconscious Prejudice"
(Edit- actually here is the exact excerpt from the section of the book I am talking about. http://www.gladwell.com/blink/blink_excerpt2.html)

And for more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightism There's links in the references to a bunch of sociology studies and all that crap.

Yes, being short is a disadvantage.

Being tall sucks too. It hurts. -_-
But... I'm also a very odd example...

Though, a short lady in my class today stood on a chair (it fortunately wasn't a rolling chair, but it did swivel) to get the clock down from the wall to fix the time. I turned around and said "What the fresia are you doing, woman, I'm right here! I would be happy to get that down for you!" Everyone laughed. I was literally the closest person to the clock on the wall. XD
I was almost tall enough to reach the bottom of the clock when standing, but I still had to stand on a chair to get it. But this time, she was able to hold the chair, while I easily returned the clock back on the wall.

So I'm also a tool, but I've come to terms with it.

My boyfriend's 5'2, and I'm 5'4-5. We deal with it because we love each other. I've sworn to myself that I'd never date anyone shorter than me, and he'd have to be at least 3 inches taller so I can still wear 2 inch heels. But look who I'm dating. I know a few friends who find it somewhat cute. We love each other, nothing else really matters to me.

Hope that gave you some light :)

There really are girls who like the opposite of things. Although I don't like it, I don't mind it. Sometimes I find him rather cute. He's really sensitive about his height, but because we love each other he learns to deal with it. See, sometimes, love does conquer all.

I find that height matters to a lot of women. I find the one excuse that most women use is they do not want to look down on their man. However, I find those are women who are generally the average height of men. 5'6" is not that short. In the end it is all about confidence. I have a friend who is 5'3" he has been with a few women.

Just be confident, most average sized women can take it or leave it. What is important is the character of the guy, not just his size.

yesm said:
if it's any consolation tall girls usually have the same problem... few guys wanna date a girl taller than them lol.
Not me. I've yet to meet a girl taller than me (I'm 6'5").

I'm 5'9"; I wish that I was a bit taller but it doesn't prey on my thoughts as much as it used to. I have considered leg lengthening, as it seems to allow me to pass the ideal height, which seems to be just past 6'0.

At any rate, passing the 6'1" does seem to increase one's opportunities in life in all things - I believe in business school, they even found that the taller you are, the more likely you will be selected as a manager.

Yes I agree. I am quite small and people never look at me, they look over me like I am never there.

Ah well, the little joys of life!

I'm only 5'2 / 157 cm, and yeah, I prefer taller guys. I don't think ayone should look at look but the heart. :>

IgnoredOne said:
I'm 5'9"; I wish that I was a bit taller but it doesn't prey on my thoughts as much as it used to. I have considered leg lengthening, as it seems to allow me to pass the ideal height, which seems to be just past 6'0.

At any rate, passing the 6'1" does seem to increase one's opportunities in life in all things - I believe in business school, they even found that the taller you are, the more likely you will be selected as a manager.

5'9" is very close to the U.S. average of roughly 5'9.5" Also at 5'9" I don't think any Doctor in the U.S. would perform leg lengthening surgery on you. Two of the top acts have height cut offs and being 5'9" disqualifies you from the two Doctors in the U.S. that I know of. There are Doctors in worldwide who would though. I have looked into this thoroughly being a short man and being treated as a sub-human entity my entire life.

unfortunately, height is a major player when it comes to getting dates... but hey, so are big boobs.

what i'm saying is, these things don't really matter. sure, they'll attract more mates, but what women are really attracted to is self-confidence. don't let your insecurities get the best of you. dating is a mind game. women don't really care about height, or personality, or looks, or even social status. all those things mean nothing if you have no confidence in yourself, and those "strict" requirements will be waived if you can be (you guessed it) confident in yourself and your ability to win them over.

GOOD LUCK!

freedom said:
unfortunately, height is a major player when it comes to getting dates... but hey, so are big boobs.

what i'm saying is, these things don't really matter. sure, they'll attract more mates, but what women are really attracted to is self-confidence. don't let your insecurities get the best of you. dating is a mind game. women don't really care about height, or personality, or looks, or even social status. all those things mean nothing if you have no confidence in yourself, and those "strict" requirements will be waived if you can be (you guessed it) confident in yourself and your ability to win them over.

GOOD LUCK!

If they don't matter why do so many women have artificial cut offs for height? Very few will consider dating a man who is shorter than them, if these women consider them men at all. I've heard it from all women before 5'4" is too short, anything under 5'10" is too short. I've had women straight up tell me I was too short. I've had women tell me I am half-a-man because of my height. Men do not completely disregard women because of the size of their breast. Men do not have an artifical cut off limit with regards to females height or cup size. Google personal ads, I bet you will not see a single ad posted from a male that has a cup size exclusion, but you will see dozens upon dozens upon dozens upon dozens of women say "must be this height".

Confidence matters but that line is extremely thin, if a short man strays one tenth of one hundredth of one inch to one side he will be classified as having short man syndrome. That is a line I have had to walk my entire life. It is something no one understands except short men.

I am not saying it is impossible, I am simply a realist, and I know that 98% of women reject me instantly for no reason beyond my height.

LostInside said:
freedom said:

GOOD LUCK!

If they don't matter why do so many women have artificial cut offs for height? Very few will consider dating a man who is shorter than them, if these women consider them men at all. I've heard it from all women before 5'4" is too short, anything under 5'10" is too short. I've had women straight up tell me I was too short. I've had women tell me I am half-a-man because of my height. Men do not completely disregard women because of the size of their breast. Men do not have an artifical cut off limit with regards to females height or cup size. Google personal ads, I bet you will not see a single ad posted from a male that has a cup size exclusion, but you will see dozens upon dozens upon dozens upon dozens of women say "must be this height".

Confidence matters but that line is extremely thin, if a short man strays one tenth of one hundredth of one inch to one side he will be classified as having short man syndrome. That is a line I have had to walk my entire life. It is something no one understands except short men.

I am not saying it is impossible, I am simply a realist, and I know that 98% of women reject me instantly for no reason beyond my height.

you're not seeing my point...

unless you're only into dating supermodels and a-list actresses, then yes, the line of confidence is very thin.

i can tell just by reading your post how badly you lack it.

freedom said:
LostInside said:
freedom said:

GOOD LUCK!

you're not seeing my point...

unless you're only into dating supermodels and a-list actresses, then yes, the line of confidence is very thin.

i can tell just by reading your post how badly you lack it.

You're not seeing reality. The evidence that height is one of the most important factors women look at is incontrovertible.

As for you being able to make such judgments about people you have never met that is really cool! I wish I had that magic power :)

Wow....people actaully still listen
to the fucken crazy experts?
Giving complete fucken strangers
power over their lives and a role
you ought to live.

Im guilty as anyone to limit my taste
of women. I live in SoCal...plenty of beutiful latina babe...most of which
are my hieght or short. Plenty are alot more prettier than the white chicks I go out with....

So...I basiclly cut out more than half
of the single avaiable women to...
on top of that...I decrease that percent even more..being as picking as I am.

Limited ideas from other is not good..Self impossed limitations
is fucken insanity....

we all already know COMPETING and COMPAIRING behaviors isnt healty
or dont we?lol
honeysuckle like thats fresia a persons esteem...
It thread is just another example of that.....

Its just the protector/provider aspect - its possible to make up for it if you look like the protector in other ways. Jet Li does have quite a few women who like him, even though he's short, but being that he conclusively demonstrates that he can beat up seven people simultaneously, it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back