short guys at a real disadvantage?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes by merely strolling into a room tall men are immediately looked at as more confident than short men even before they say a single word. Some of that can be made up by short men by being confident, but it can by no means make up entirely for it.

Being short is a real and actual disadvantage supported by statistical evidence, but not an entirely crippling one. There are some means of redress, but not many. I think that's the sum total of this thread.

Following up on what LostInside and you IgnoredOne said..

The real disadvantages come at the "first impression". Like LostInside said, the tall ones get recognized FIRST because of their height. But, as IgnoredOne said, they are not a crippling effect. So I agree with both of your statements xD.

Overall: First impressions count, if your short, your at a disadvantage in the first round; but you can make up by being more outgoing, funny, and acting confident.

I don't know if this could help...but it's something that it would definitely help me. A list of some famous short men. And I'm sure that there are many more lists like this one out there.

LostInside, I don't know what kind of women you've dealt with but the sheer idea that someone said to you that you're only "half a man" because you're short, is simply ridiculous, rude and unacceptable to me. I'm sorry that you had to hear anything like that.

Why don't you study law and become a judge? That way you can sit up high and lord it over everyone.

Teresa

LostInside said:
Yes by merely strolling into a room tall men are immediately looked at as more confident than short men even before they say a single word. Some of that can be made up by short men by being confident, but it can by no means make up entirely for it.

Okay, this MAY not be the best example, given my situation, BUT.... when I first met the father of my kids, it wasn't him that wanted me, it's was his friend that was about a 6 inches taller than he was. However, I ended up kissing the father of my kids that night because I wanted the tall guy off my case.
SO, stop making excuses, girls don't always look for the tall guys. Be confident in yourself and trust in what you can give to a woman (not talking about your penis here) and all will be well.

lovelace said:
I don't know if this could help...but it's something that it would definitely help me. A list of some famous short men. And I'm sure that there are many more lists like this one out there.

LostInside, I don't know what kind of women you've dealt with but the sheer idea that someone said to you that you're only "half a man" because you're short, is simply ridiculous, rude and unacceptable to me. I'm sorry that you had to hear anything like that.

I know many women aren't like that and I don't like to paint broad strokes, but I've heard nearly all of it and I do always remind myself that everyone is an individual.

As for everyone telling me I am making an "excuse" that is not the case. I am simply accepting reality. No way do I want to walk through the world like an ignorant, uninformed person. It is no different than looking at and seeing other look-based biases exist, the only difference is with short men even when they bring up the facts of life they are mocked about it. The ease at which some people completely dismiss heightism and mock people over it like SofiaMamis cute dismissive comments about me becoming a judge to sit higher, that furthers provides evidence that heightism is in fact real. She doesn't even acknowledge that short men are paid less for no reason other than their height. I have no problem accepting that gender-pay inequality exists. Why the dismissive reaction? Why is admitting something like that so difficult?

BTW thanks for the list, I have seen them before. As for being called half a man and subhuman and things of those nature it does become easier to disregard them as you get older. However the older one gets as a short man shows that taunting in Middle School is nothing compared to the real world. Oh well, I'm working on it.

LostInside said:
As for everyone telling me I am making an "excuse" that is not the case. I am simply accepting reality. No way do I want to walk through the world like an ignorant, uninformed person. It is no different than looking at and seeing other look-based biases exist, the only difference is with short men even when they bring up the facts of life they are mocked about it. The ease at which some people completely dismiss heightism and mock people over it like SofiaMamis cute dismissive comments about me becoming a judge to sit higher, that furthers provides evidence that heightism is in fact real. She doesn't even acknowledge that short men are paid less for no reason other than their height. I have no problem accepting that gender-pay inequality exists. Why the dismissive reaction? Why is admitting something like that so difficult?

I addressed this in another post. Its not intentional - we are often driven by biases that we do not consciously perceive and if they contrast with our defined identity to ourselves, deny.

Your insistence that people 'admit' their heightism essentially is construed as an attack on them - because you're attacking their self-identity as intelligent and aware individuals who'd never just be driven by someone as base and unfair as height.

What you've said is true, but trying to convince others of it is essentially foolish. Whatever you win even if you prove your point, you fail in having offended the self-identity of your conversational partner.

I am 5ft 2 and I have found it is a problem for MOST women. Last girl I dated was 5ft 7. She had a big problem with my height.

I'm short and I wear shoes with a hidden 3'' platform from tallmenshoes.com, it makes a difference in my confidence, and not just with girls. I've read studies that demonstrate that taller men earn a lot more and have higher positions in companies, all other things being equal.

I feel you, man. I'm 5'8" and it's just not tall enough for some women. You have to keep in mind that we all have preferences and disadvantages, though.

One other thing, I don't care about a woman's height, but I like the look on a tall woman's face when I pick her up like she's a feather.

MikeSmith911 said:
I'm short and I wear shoes with a hidden 3'' platform from tallmenshoes.com, it makes a difference in my confidence, and not just with girls. I've read studies that demonstrate that taller men earn a lot more and have higher positions in companies, all other things being equal.

I've seen figures that say about $800 per inch of height per year. I've definitely contemplated height shoes. I did purchases some 1/2" insoles. I figure every bit of height helps and while 1/2" is only slightly taller, it won't be noticeable if I have to take off my shoes for some reason.

I don't really think so? I've seen girls date shorter guys! I think it's just a saying when girls prefer taller guys, what comes down to it is if they like you as a whole, looks+personality. I do like taller guys, but I have dated a guy who was 5'6".

hellomiko said:
I don't really think so? I've seen girls date shorter guys! I think it's just a saying when girls prefer taller guys, what comes down to it is if they like you as a whole, looks+personality. I do like taller guys, but I have dated a guy who was 5'6".

the point of this thread is saying shorter guys are at a disadvantage, not that shorter guys won't get a date :)

LostInside said:
MikeSmith911 said:

I've seen figures that say about $800 per inch of height per year. I've definitely contemplated height shoes. I did purchases some 1/2" insoles. I figure every bit of height helps and while 1/2" is only slightly taller, it won't be noticeable if I have to take off my shoes for some reason.

According to this study:

"By this calculation, someone who is 6 feet tall earns $5,525 more annually than someone who is 5 feet, 6 inches. Over the course of a career, of course, those numbers can really add up."
Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/02/02/cb.tall.people/index.html

Don't bother with the stupid insoles, they wont make a difference. Just get nice height shoes from tallmenshoes and you'll be happy.

Well the insoles add height don't they :) I even got some 0.75" insoles, but I only use those when I interview. I hate to think that some guy got a job over me simply because of perceived intelligence and/or respect due to his height, although that's the way it works. I got my insoles from tallmenshoes by the way, and if I ever get married and a future wife has to have me taller than her I'd definitely order a pair of those 3" shoes, but not for everyday use.

Ultimately I am comfortable with my height, what I am not comfortable with is the way I am treated sometimes. I don't want to overdo the height shoes because if I have to take them off then people will snicker about how short men are "insecure" when in reality we just want to be treated equally with equal pay for equal work. Just look at the way people mock Sarkozy and Bono for wearing height increasing shoes, that can be worse than simply being shorter than what is socially acceptable. Ask women what they think about men who wear height increasing shoes and "insecurity" and "turn off" are mentioned frequently, in fact most feminist who I speak to deny that men face pay discrimination. So it is unfortunately a knifes edge that short men have to walk on. Stray every so slightly to one way and you are a "nice guy", stray ever so slightly the other way and you have "short man syndrome". So I'm trying to figure out how to maximize my life.

Being called short all my life, I have worked towards overcoming being 5'7" ( on a good day :cool: ) by realizing that I dont have to be as calvin klein says I should, to be who I am. Females may say that they will only date *insert here*, but women go back on what they say-a lot (who would have thought).

Getting all caught up in America's beleived need for perfection was killing me even though I have gotten many beautiful well rounded women-by doing the best i can at being intelligent.creative.charming.attentive.giving lover, and showing social insight... Even though you can't win them all and there are many qualities that women have preference for you dont have; what it comes down too when breaking the barrier is confidence and a quick wit sense of humor that makes them comfortable...and acheiving this requires being comfortable in your own skin no matter what your disadvantages are.

I have been through a lot in my life, my personal opinion is that every disadvantage has a purpose.. if these girls aren't biting the line than the girl for me is a real shorty I just havent met yet. There is one out there that will complete me one day, and all I can do now is prepare for that by dealing with the insecurities at hand.

For those of you who are suffering, keep a journal of your insecurities-you will find out sooner or later why.

I'm 5'7" maybe. I'm also asian and I'm over 40....
It's totally messed up...I cant even get those **** Cougers :(

Dudes...fresia the statictics.

My ex-wf asked me out when I was penny less and pretty much a lot of women
came after me reguardless of what my life's situation was.
Im fucken asain and all that honeysuckle happened in TX..where all the fucken biggots rednecks lives.

My finacee is taller than me..she's a pretty white chick too.

My ex-gf is my height...she's a pretty white chicks too.
She actaully dyed her hair bruanette just to fresia with me.hahahaaa
That's my MO...Blonds pretty white chicks with big titays.
Never gone out with any other type of women...I guess i discriminate too.
mmm...chicks in there 20's still come on to me...fresia the cougars :p

When i was dating at 29 yrs old i used to ride my bicycle everywhere.
I had a sports car and a brand new 4x4 in my garage and money to burn.
I was beyound the confidence factor.
It was my way if weeding out women. And women would still asked me out.
I was dating 5 women at the sametime. But I think most of the women
cuaght on to me or figure out what I was doing becuase every once in a while
I still had the erudge to burn rubber in my sports car.

yes, in a way I was still slick, hip and cool riding my bike around town.
It was the way i carried myself. The women that took the time to get to know me
new better...the shallow chicks that wouldnt give me a time of day becuase of
the first impression bullshit...I just didnt give a rats aSS.
I guess it would be almost the same if a chick didnt want to date me just becuase
Im not as tall as her.

So being who I am, as I am...people are not going to accept me no matter what I do.
I came to relize that...Just becuase people reject me dosnt necessary mean there's something wrong with me.
On the flips side of that...people are going to accept me as I am...with all my fresia ups or charactors flaws too.
Which is beyound the skin deep stuff.

Heck...even Juliet ( a chick i met recently) was stupid rich and drop dead
goregous. And she's a blonde too. She used to drive me everywhere when
we go out. I guess she kind of new where I was coming from.
As fucken shallow as i was looking at her titays all the time.
She knew deep down inside I was looking for love and understanding
...not money,... not titays..not whatever the hell
not all the bullshit that comes with the dating games.
It's more about having a connection with her.

In so many ways I'm still like that. I needed to know a woman will love me for me
and not be so fucken shallow. Kind of irony coming from a person that's shallow.lmao

As Nalee say....I'm not what you think how I am in person from reading my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back