Should I say something or not?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only correct certain things. Really, it's just one mistake, unless I want to be an ass. lol
But, if they are foreign, I do try to help out if I see them make a mistake, because they likely don't know they are making the mistake.

That said, if it really bothers you, you can likely find a creative way to make them aware. You could take a grammar quiz online and ask if they want to take it. Or you can mention that you were reading about grammar online, just to get the subject out there, so it's not completely out of the blue.

Alonewith2cats said:
Disaffected said:
Alonewith2cats said:
I have a friend, very nice guy, I've been enjoying his company. He sometimes uses the wrong English grammar. He says "we was" instead of "we were" or "you was" instead of "you were." English is not his second language. It's just how he talks. Should I bring it to his attention or just not say anything?

We're just really good friends. I can totally tolerate this in a friendship and accept him just as he is. It would bug me if I was in a relationship with a guy who talked like this, no matter how sweet he is, and he is really nice to me by the way, and I know I would probably be trying to change this about him. I like a guy who sounds educated. It may seem like a small thing but I wonder if it's little things like this that are the reason why some people are only meant to be friends.

What is your opinion?

Gross, hes a chav innit blud.

I cant talk to people like that, but that's just me. Don't think its the kinda thing you have to ask a forum about, I mean if you already feel this strongly about it you already have your answer.

You sure hes not 12?

I just want to say that I think it's rude to make someone feel stupid for wrong for posting a question on a forum? People post in forums to get insight or opinions about subjects while maintaining the ability to be anonymous.

Seems like most people just want an echo chamber, and by quoting my post you're guilty of doing the exact thing you're accusing me of.

Limlim said:
Or be like me. I lose my honeysuckle when someone says NIC card.

What about ATM machine?

Also, I wouldn't say anything. That's just how he talks. If you wouldn't like someone correcting you, don't do it to someone else. However, if you'd appreciate someone pointing out a little mistake you've made, then perhaps he would, too. Maybe he knows and just doesn't mind. I know when my guy says certain things, it's because his accent is so thick, he can't really help it.

The only person I ever correct is my kiddo but she is still learning grammar. If someone corrected my grammar, I would feel like they weren't really listening to what I was saying and that they were just being pedantic.
Also, most of my friends speak English as a second language but I never correct them either. Maybe that's why we're all still friends :) If I know what they are saying, who cares whether they used the wrong verb tense?

-Teresa

It doesn't concern me so much anymore. I'm starting to look at it just like a dialect. It's slang. Just like when I go to Germany there will be people who don't speak proper German.

Latest posts

Back