Should image be such a concern?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinTrevize

Reaction score
I am happy with every element of myself including my flaws except for that one thing.

My body. I know this is a common issue with people but I wonder if it is such a big thing for others.

I mean I feel like it shouldn't be but it is literally the thing that holds me back from approaching people and getting close with others.

How much does this influence other people or are there other issues that people struggle with more?

I used to have the exact same issue. Through exercise, bulking up, toning, I boosted my self esteem and became more outgoing.

For some people, it's better to just accept and love the way you look, whether it has to do with acne, weight, or just a general dislike of how they look. For others, that isn't enough, and so they seek change through means like acne medication, weight loss, changing how they dress, whatever. I don't know which you are, but you do whatever it takes to be comfortable with yourself. Change isn't too far out of reach. There is nothing about the way you look that cannot be changed. Do what you have to (within reason)

I'm also not pleased with my body! Sometimes I'm pretty conscious about it but usually around my friends, you just accept that your body is just a mix of skin & bones. Got nothing to do with who you are.

My own personal view is that it's important to look after ourselves, by which I mean our entire selves, inside & out, mind, body & spirit.

We need to take the time to nourish & cleanse ourselves as whole beings, I think many of our issues possibly stem from our attempts to see/treat ourselves as a collection of 'parts'.

It's a matter of trying to not place one area above importance of another, but attempting instead to enrich all areas & aspects of ourselves, a process of ongoing refinements-easier said than done I admit but that's the best theory/plan I know.

In my opinion, image is important because it helps make first impressions. I'm more likely to trust a person dressed well than someone dressed like a thug.

Personally, my body is fit and my mind sharp but the thing I hate is by bad skin which used to have horrible acne but even now still has it albeit to a significantly lesser degree. However, the acne of the past has left visible scars and the acne that remains occurs all over my upper body and face. I find it very unpleasant to deal with and all the acne then and now played a major role in my low self esteem. Additionally, acne has led me to prefer low light situations as well as staying far away from people first physically and then emotionally eventually. That has led me to socially isolate myself from others.

Some people say to accept and embrace your flaws but that is simply foolish for who would embrace folly and flaw? Who would not prefer perfection or at least a better state then now if it were available? When possible, I make efforts to improve my image and that includes dressing well so I look nice from a distance (Just don't get too close).

I hate when people judge others by their clothes. I wear tight jeans, converse, have messy hair, etc.

People have judged me as being a thug/punk/etc, when in reality i've been in advanced classes most of my life, have a plan for my career, education, have impressed high ranking financial professionals, etc..

Don't judge a book by its cover, some of the most intelligent and wise people I know dress like cholos and skaters. Any shallow idiot can put on a suit and slick back his hair.

Unbinilium said:
but the thing I hate is by bad skin which used to have horrible acne but even now still has it albeit to a significantly lesser degree. However, the acne of the past has left visible scars and the acne that remains occurs all over my upper body and face.

Have you done accutane?

When it comes to your body - I think people put too much emphasis on physical appearance. However, I think we're all more-or-less guilty of it because it's a biological reflex to find healthier people attractive. I admire those who stand against the tide on this topic - but I assume it's an unending uphill battle. As a chunkier individual - I see and deal with the consequences of this everyday - but I can't bring myself to blame anyone for it (other than myself) and I don't see it changing anytime soon :(.

Regarding the clothing / fashion - whilst I agree that anybody can put on a suite and tie - similarly anybody can put on lumberjack shirts, roll up the cuffs of their skinny-jeans and not shave :p. Trying to acquire attention via your clothing comes off as quite shallow - and for those of us whose feet are firmly on the ground (and whose noses aren't in fashion magazines) - people in elaborate garb are usually difficult to take seriously :p.

I suppose the best thing one can do is take care of their body - after all you only get one.

I myself do not dress in conventional clothing. Mine is a mix of bohemian and Victorian/Steampunk. Save for my yoga clothes. It is my own style I suppose. I gave up on trying to fit the perceived vision of normal years ago. Do folks stare at me I guess, do I care not in the least. After 40 I became true to myself and ditched the what everyone thinks persona. My family has accepted it, although my mum wishes at times I looked what she deems as normal. I do not do it for attention either it is who I am now. I know I should have been born in a different time, but hey you work with what you got dealt. I am myself and I am happy with who that is. Just took me a lil longer to get there.

I know the feeling all too well. Unfortunatly though, I also feel embarassed to work out and get myself fitter. So I'm embarassed about both. I have no clue about what to do.

Guys if you feel weird about exercising, just try the game Ingress. It'll get you out and walking for hours and hours.

i have a thing about nice teeth...they don't have to be perfect they just have to be there and be normal...

beautiful loser said:
DVEEUS said:
i have a thing about nice teeth...they don't have to be perfect they just have to be there and be normal...
Same here, and if she has a slight overbite...****, I find that sexy :)

haaaaaaaaaaaa...i hear ya...no underbites though...not that there's anything wrong w/an underbite just to be clear...i certainly don't want to be labeled a racist against underbites...:cool:

It depends on if you are comfortable with your body or not. If you are happy with yourself that your body really doesn't matter as it's the confidence that comes across. If you are not happy with your body then do something about it. One day I got fed up with how i looked and I've dropped about 50 lbs and i feel much more confident than i have in a long time. But I did it because I wanted to, not because I felt others would like me better. If you want to change your body or your look, make sure it's for you

Latest posts

Back