Should someone who is in a relationship be allowed to discipline the others children?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneKiller said:
No Goddamn way! It's my belief that if the person is not the biological parent, they have absolutely no right to discipline the child.

I honestly don't see how me sitting back doing my nails or something while the kids run riot (not that they do!) and their dad is stressed to hell helps. I've always seen my role as to help him. I'd never impose my own level of discipline but I'm here to back up and impose his level. Not that I'm actually any good at it!

We are a family now and my boyfriend has always said that I have the right to step in with the kids. Actually his eldest son said the same thing once too. I'm lucky really as neither of his boys is that naughty and ones at an age where he's quite self reliant. I'd just love to get to the point where I had enough confidence in my own authority to look after his little one for the day if he couldn't get the day off work so he wouldn't have to rely on his mum or sort something out with his ex.

Trust comes to mind when I read this thread,if the relationship has a strong foundation of trust love & understanding not just between the parents but also the child/children, and both parents agree then I think it wld be more than appropriate for either parent to discipiine, cos discipline is also an act of love & a necessary part of a healthy parenting relationship

Coming from an experience of being an uncle...

If there is already an authority figure, and you typically aren't it, it's pretty **** hard to become one. Especially if they are teenagers. Younger children are easier to discipline.

Annik, I think that's lovely, and I'm sure he appreciates the help! I would have to agree with you too when you say you don't force your own level of discipline but rather back his up. That's, in my opinion, the best way to go.

And Leaning, you want to say smaller kids are easier when you have this 3 year old that we watch daily... Whoo, boy! He's a mess, and his own mother says the same thing. It's amusing sometimes, but others, it's like WOOOO boy! You just want to pull your hair out. He's not my kid, though. He's not even technically my nephew, but if he does something he shouldn't, I do correct it.

Though, teenagers are sometimes difficult as well. I won't deny that. Can't even say if it's easier or harder to talk to teens than a toddler or such. Some teens will talk, and some don't talk at all to anyone.

My sister and I resented boyfriends or new husbands that tried to tell us what to do because we already had a mother, a father and a step father. Also, they were jerks and didn't care about us(I think that's key). I lived with a guy who had a 10 year old son and a 14 year old son. I was like a friend to them and only told the younger boy what to do if he was running with scissors etc...

Latest posts

Back