Simply alone.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlasticPaddy

Reaction score
It is always a difficult matter to talk about one's self.  I shall start with the basics.  I am a forty five year old male that retired from the United States Navy.  The current place in which I hang my hat is Oklahoma USA (Well sort of).  Shortly after retiring from the Navy I moved to my wife's home country because she longed to be near her family.  You see she had breast cancer and it was in a rather advanced state.  She spent her remaining time surrounded with the people that she loved most.  

The death of my wife left me and my then eighteen year old daughter alone.  It was not long before the two of us moved back to the good old US of A so that my daughter could attend college.  She did so for nearly a year but she met and fell in love with a young man that just so happens to be in the Navy himself.  She left college and just last month the two of them were wed.

Suddenly the house felt empty.  Somehow I just felt incomplete.  I do not really have any other family members outside of my daughter and her husband and I do not have any friends left as we have all moved our separate ways.  I could not handle living in the very house that reminded me of the wife that I spent 23 of the best years of my life with so I sold the house and bought a travel trailer.  I have set about trying to see more of the United States just like my wife and I had planned to do once we were retired.  Oddly enough I have seen more of the world in my twenty one years of service than I have seen of my own nation. I am currently in Oklahoma As you can imagine this too reminds me of her so it is really no better than living in the house.

Meeting new people does not seem as easy for me as it once was.  While I pride myself on being a rock the old adage that no man is island unto himself still bears true.  It would be wonderful to have someone that shared my interests to talk to or even someone with interests other than my own that could speak about them in such manner as to peak my interest in it as well.  I am not speaking of someone to date as I am most certainly not ready for that, but merely someone with which to pass a bit of time with. Just someone to call friend.

Hi plasticPaddy I'm sorry to hear about your loss, since graduating Uni most of my friends have moved away as well.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you want to :)

My interests are guitar, music, cycling, working out, reading and browsing the internet, what are some of yours?

You're managing some big changes.....leaving the Navy, losing your wife and seeing your daughter marry. I'd think absorbing that much change would lead to some serious morale difficulties.
Not what I'd call "good problems" either....like fixing a leaky faucet or something....you're looking at a whole new lifestyle. You might have to reinvent who you are in the world.
Still forty five is a good age...old enough to have a useful experience level but not so old that decrepitude is setting in.
I hope you keep checking back in here and let us know what's up with you.

evanescencefan912 said:
Hi plasticPaddy I'm sorry to hear about your loss, since graduating Uni most of my friends have moved away as well.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you want to :)

My interests are guitar, music, cycling, working out, reading and browsing the internet, what are some of yours?

Thank you for the warm reply.  As for my interests they tend to be a bit eclectic.  Fishing, sports, reading, country music, classical music, video games, archery, shooting, swimming, watching movies, going plays, but above all else I love to travel.

Erasercrumbs said:
I'm an Okie, too!

Hey there neighbor.

constant stranger said:
You're managing some big changes.....leaving the Navy, losing your wife and seeing your daughter marry.  I'd think absorbing that much change would lead to some serious morale difficulties.
Not what I'd call "good problems" either....like fixing a leaky faucet or something....you're looking at a whole new lifestyle.  You might have to reinvent who you are in the world.
Still forty five is a good age...old enough to have a useful experience level but not so old that decrepitude is setting in.

You are right in that I will have to reinvent myself to a degree.  I was a Corpsman in the Navy and to make sure that I was the best corpsman possible for my sailors and marines I graduated a nursing course.  I may end up going to work in a hospital but for now I think that traveling will be what I do.  

Thank you for the caring and you can bet that I will keep everyone up to date.

PlasticPaddy said:
Erasercrumbs said:
I'm an Okie, too!

Hey there neighbor.

constant stranger said:
You're managing some big changes.....leaving the Navy, losing your wife and seeing your daughter marry.  I'd think absorbing that much change would lead to some serious morale difficulties.
Not what I'd call "good problems" either....like fixing a leaky faucet or something....you're looking at a whole new lifestyle.  You might have to reinvent who you are in the world.

You are right in that I will have to reinvent myself to a degree.  I was a Corpsman in the Navy and to make sure that I was the best corpsman possible for my sailors and marines I graduated a nursing course.  I may end up going to work in a hospital but for now I think that traveling will be what I do.  

Could you travel in a nurse's corps? A la Doctors Without Borders style?

SophiaGrace said:
PlasticPaddy said:
Erasercrumbs said:
I'm an Okie, too!

Hey there neighbor.

constant stranger said:

Could you travel in a nurse's corps? A la Doctors Without Borders style?

I had not considered that.  I imagine that I could.  That gives me something to look into for sure.  Thank you SophiaGrace.

Latest posts

Back