Skype Versions Getting Retired

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big bag of fucknope.

I might wait a few weeks while other people encounter issues for me and find solutions.

Well everybody on this thread, I was forced (not at gunpoint but still!)to update today. The advert trick defo worked for me, and other than that small task, it looks and functions the same, tho I believe the 'home' function has changed (not that I ever used that)

I hate Skype. it has always been nothing but bugging and unreliable for me and only ever gets worse as time goes on. I have actually stop talking to acquaintances due to Skype's instability simply because I never see them online and don't get offline messages.
I have some contacts on Skype and so I use a 3rd party app called Trillian to connect to Facebook chat, Skype and a few other messenger services, but that's going to change soon. I got a message from Trillian the other day notifying me that Skype will soon not be connectable through Trillian, I guess Microsoft decided they want more control over it.

I wish they would just kill it and bury it quietly in a shallow grave.

Yeah it's crap, but if everybody you speak to online uses it, it's gotta be used :/

The newest version still has bugs, for example, a contact of mine always appears online, then goes instantly offline after. I know for a fact that she actually wasn't online at all!

You don't get any valid response from the staff on the forums either, they are useless. Nothing seems to ever be resolved on there.

Well the Skyekit is officially retired, since I use Trillian you're unlikely to see me on Skype since I refuse to install the honeysuckle.

I did a system restore on my laptop during this little rollout and am now am being forced to upgrade my Skype. So, I can't log in but have not yet decided if I will upgrade or not.

******* Microsoft - I hope they all contract an incurable rash in a very uncomfortable place.

Limlim said:
I found a thread on the trillian support forums of a workaround to get it working again. You need to put an older version of skypekit.exe into your plugins folder.

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/windows/24564-solution-skype-login-fix

I think I did read about this when seeking a workaround but I had conflicting results from people, so I couldn't be bothered to try.

EDIT: Just tried quick and it seems it doesn't work for me. Perhaps this might have something to do with the skype/live account migration or something. It pretty much gives the same result as the updated skypekit, although I can go into the advanced settings and get it to retry and connect it simply crashes. Oh well, there goes that.

zuqhcm.png

Well, I bit the bullet and did the silly upgrade to get my Skype working again. I hate Microsoft so hard right now.

MissGuided said:
Well, I bit the bullet and did the silly upgrade to get my Skype working again. I hate Microsoft so hard right now.

I totally feel you.

Limlim said:
Just use your torrent client to grab one of the magnet links there, rename the downloaded file to skypekit.exe and replace the existing file in your plugins folder with it.

Great! Do you work by appointment only? Is there some fee schedule I can peruse? Are you bonded?

Limlim said:
Woo!

I found a link to a working skypekit file for us Trillain users!

+1 for this honeysuckle.

Downloaded them both but 4.1 seems to work for me, 3.7 seemed to connect OK but no contacts showed. Also I was a bit weary that my AV started moaning, I was gonna run a packet sniffer to be sure but I cba. Maybe another time...

Looks like Microsoft has been busy getting Google to pull the page from its blog spot service. But fear not friends, the internet archive has taken a recent snapshot of the page before it died for posterity. This is why you should never let your daughters post naked selfies by the way, people like me will find them long after they've been removed.

Page is set for September so you'll need to scroll down to the 2nd most recent post now.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140911025845/http://skype-open-source.blogspot.fr/

What is this deal with Skype now where you appear as Away when you go offline?!?! Why can't going offline just show you as being offline? Ugh.

Skype is really really really getting on my nerves.

What about Google+? it has video (smoother than skype) and text. Isn't Google+ international?

EDIT: Oh, and I don't even think it's an official software (to download and install with a .exe to launch). Just a plugin (to use with your browser), right?

ladyforsaken said:
What is this deal with Skype now where you appear as Away when you go offline?!?! Why can't going offline just show you as being offline? Ugh.

When I'm signed out completely and exited out of Skype, it shows me as online. I get messages all the time from people thinking I'm online. Then I have to apologize because I wasn't, and I didn't want anyone thinking I was ignoring them. I have no idea what causes it to do that, but it's been doing it for months.

VanillaCreme said:
ladyforsaken said:

When I'm signed out completely and exited out of Skype, it shows me as online. I get messages all the time from people thinking I'm online. Then I have to apologize because I wasn't, and I didn't want anyone thinking I was ignoring them. I have no idea what causes it to do that, but it's been doing it for months.

I manually change my status to 'invisible' prior to logging out and then right click to 'quit' the Skype program. Seems to be working for me. *shrugs*

Latest posts

Back