Small Talk sucks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJosher24

Reaction score
Ever feel like just starting a conversation without saying "hi?" I find greetings to be pointless. Wouldn't it be more pleasing to have the conversation and then say "Hi" and state your name.

That'd be a cool word to live in.

"Hi" is so impersonal. It's used as a friendly standard greeting you say to passerbys that you accidentally make eye contact with so you don't come off creepy. Small talk can be difficult to start off when you aren't sure what the other person may wan to discuss. The trick is looking for small ques. Like yesterday I had a customer that noticed my Batman travel mug, he asked if I was a fan and if I had seen the new movie. I kind of cut the small talk short though cause he came in near the end of the day and I wanted to leave on time. So his small talk failed that would have otherwise had me yacking to him for awhile. LOL

Sci-Fi said:
"Hi" is so impersonal. It's used as a friendly standard greeting you say to passerbys that you accidentally make eye contact with so you don't come off creepy. Small talk can be difficult to start off when you aren't sure what the other person may wan to discuss. The trick is looking for small ques. Like yesterday I had a customer that noticed my Batman travel mug, he asked if I was a fan and if I had seen the new movie. I kind of cut the small talk short though cause he came in near the end of the day and I wanted to leave on time. So his small talk failed that would have otherwise had me yacking to him for awhile. LOL

Since this is in the relationship section...Im assuming the OP
has a difficult time talking to people or hitting on chicks.

I used to work with people all day long...handing out money.hahaha
Giving people money...puts me in a good position.lol
They associate me with thier GOOD MOODS.
So you get used to making small talks, keeping happy face and relaxed when working with customers.
8 hours of it everyday for a yr...you get a little skillful or is second nature to you.
It helps if women comes in and flirt with you every so often :p

Ice breakers...
it dosnt have to be formal. Trying to make everything formal cuases
TENSIONS...negative tensions as if you have to behave a certain way
or walk on eggshells. Therefore taking you right out of RELAX or not
natural....MOODS.

We all know people push our fucken buttons in a negative ways.
Just gatta learn how to push positive buttons with people.lol
It's not rocket science.

The mug...
An excuse to start a conversation.
Sometimes I'll wear a wristband or a belt that's sort of hidden.
It's the kind of woman I want to attract. Women that are interested
in guys like me will notice such articals...It'll give them an excuse
to talk to me or something to bounce back on if a conversation
gose in the wrong direction.

It'll gives me an excuse to start a conversation...
tatoos, jewerlies, hair calour,...ect. An excuse for me to compliment
them. Tatoos and certain pieces of jewerlies have greater meanings
to some people. Sometimes PERSONAL meanings...espeacilly tatoos.
It also gives me an excuse to touch her.
At this junction..I'll know by her reponse when I touch her. How far
she'll let me...and at what pace she'll let me in.

Twice already within a month. Monique and Sarah kindda dress
to how I like women to dress sometimes....The belt with studs,
converse tennies, ripped or designer jeans, and a light blouse.
Bascailly a rocking down to earth girl next door heavy metal chick, When they
hang out with me. They dont always dress this way. They notice the way I dress.

It almost seems as if I don't want to know anything about the person other than what he/she has to say, like anonymous intercourse.

TheJosher24 said:
It almost seems as if I don't want to know anything about the person other than what he/she has to say, like anonymous intercourse.

So you're not a people person....
A blow up doll or hookers are your other options?

Unfortunately TnA comes with a brain and bag full of emotions. Sometimes they're more trouble than what it's worth.

Then again...her sense of humor, the way she giggles, the way
she holds you, the way she express her love for you and life are rather interesting.

No, I'm a people person, I like people. It's just that I wanna know the whole of one's existence, not just a part.

TheJosher24 said:
No, I'm a people person, I like people. It's just that I wanna know the whole of one's existence, not just a part.

K....
you dont like mistery and adventure...idk

How is it working for you?

Do you meet more people and go through them quickly?

You dont get bore with them becuase you know everything. More predictable?

You dont engauge with people unless they get serious
and throw all the cards on the table right off the bat?

k...
what if i ask you whats your purpose and why you exist?
Are you willing to tell me everything about you, right now?

Ive met all kinds of poeple. Everybody is different. All wants different things and approach it different.
Sometimes I ask different questions. It depends on the person and their moods at that moment.
I asked non trival or non personal questions so people dont think im nosie or dont have any boundaries.
Ive met chicks that'll tell me almost everything in 15 mins. If shes interested, she'll talk about whatever with me.

"what if i ask you whats your purpose and why you exist?
Are you willing to tell me everything about you, right now?"

Yes.

I guess that what I want is impossibly unrealistic; people want to hold on to certain thoughts/things in their lives, thoughts/things that are too sacred to tell others. But I am greatly interested in other people's lives because I'm tired of mine.

No, mystery and adventure is something I have great stake in. But it isn't to say that knowing everything about one's existence is a way of killing mystery because as each moment changes, so do people. There will always be mystery and adventure in people.

I do not mind small talk.. am terrible at it, but it helps to discover if it can become more comfortable to talk of other subjects..

Small talk is pointless, I don't care about this or that. Why would I care? pointless, rather talk about important things.

I can't stand small talk, but moving beyond it can be hard. I am never sure how much to ask or to reveal so usually take my cue from the other person. If s/he stays at the small talk level, then so do I. Obviously they might be waiting for me to move on from it, which is a problem.

Meh, it wouldn't really make a difference for me. As long as I can't predict what you are going to say next, small talk wouldn't be as horrific.
Wouldn't it be nice if we got into a full-fledged discussion or debate the moment we meet?

"I can't stand small talk, but moving beyond it can be hard. I am never sure how much to ask or to reveal so usually take my cue from the other person."
Right on, man. I think that's why most of the conversations I've tried to have failed to escalate to the intended conversation, 'cause I take a cue from the other person as to what to talk about next. Like, I wanna talk about something else, but it's as if the other person wants to keep talking about a certain subject, and it's usually what i tire of quickly.

"Wouldn't it be nice if we got into a full-fledged discussion or debate the moment we meet? "
I'm all for a discussion/debate that first moment. It'd be, just, fulfilling, rather that exchanging pleasantries or convenient neutral words.

I usually don't like small talk, becuase when I do, it's becuase I want to get to know the person but ends up failing. I gotta be the one to keep breaking the ice, and I run outta things to say. If they aren't the one who keeps responding, and I'm the one asking the questions, they are clearly not interested, which is a shame for me.

It's pointless to me. When I have to talk to some girl I fancy, (becuase of a product in a store, or something if I'm on a errand), it sucks, becuase it can't be anything more then that. *sigh*.

If only I had better social skills, a better vocubulary and a new brain. If only I had at least some attractions.

Lost Soul said:
If only I had better social skills, a better vocubulary and a new brain. If only I had at least some attractions.

That's no way to think, man. Sure, social skills are learned (that's what a skill is - acquired. No one was born with them. If each of us were then, it';d be easy to make friends, coming as a built-in instinct.) but you can learn anything you want. A better vocabulary doesn't insure attraction, either. It's a sad fact but the majority of people don't really possess "good" vocabulary.

It's just a matter of time, of learning how to act, to socialize. I think that's why I'm on this forum, to learn, other than actually talking with people other than myself. I can't stand myself.

Latest posts

Back