Smoking - Ways to give up?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
I am a smoker and I don’t want to be. I am fully aware of how bad it is. People (non smokers in particular) think it is simply will power, but its more complicated than that. I have depression, I can have incredible will power one day and be completely deflated the next.

Now I cant use patches because I’m allergic to them. Besides what a silly thing anyway - ‘nicotine replacement’ how can you stop being addicted to a drug by having more of that drug by different means of consumption?

I was then given the most horrible medication by the nurse, chimax or something. And yes it did stop me craving cigarettes. But it also gave me a hell of a **** headache, made it impossible for me to go to sleep, made me feel sick all day, and I’m hear reports that it makes people go into rages and hurt others or themselves. Not good. Also it is a relatively new drug and who knows the long term consequences.

Zyban used to be the drug of choice and besides smoking cessation from what I could find out it is also a very effective antidepressant with fewer side effects than conventional antidepressants, and better results. Tis sounded great - a drug that can aid with smoking cessation AND treat depression. Two birds, one stone I was thinking. I was bitterly disappointed. He told me that they are not allowed to prescribe it anymore, not for smoking or depression anymore. I wonder why this is? I must find out. If it’s a cost thing ill be p****d. So he then went on to prescribe an antidepressant with a track record of making people pile on tones of weight, I heard reports of 3 stone in 2 months by one user. NOT HELPFUL DOC!

Anyway I’m rambling and haven’t got to the question, I do that. Sorry.

Has anyone tried any non conventional means of giving up the evil weed and what was the outcome?

I tried zyban twice and didn't work for me,I eventualy gave up using patches and cutting down the drinking alot.

I've never tried quitting, I prefer breathing fire and exhaling smoky pleasure also I've never felt like I needed a cigarette.
What I've noticed from other's trying to quit smoking ( and failing) is that they treat it like some sort of OCD ritual/habit. If they run out of smokes they freak out, not for the nicotine but because their daily morning ritual has been sabotaged, strange I know.

Forgot to mention, I've tried the electronic cigarettes before but like I said I'm not addicted to nicotine at all, it clearly states to just puff on it a few times. I enjoy the act of smoking so I can't use alternate smoking methods.

I thought that I would like the electronic cigarette, but due to poor health I had to quit cold turkey Friday morning.
I've always been a very "mind over matter" kinda person though, and at one time I was able to stop whenever I wanted because I didn't let myself get addicted; But now that I am addicted, and I've quit... ::shrugs::

People get all up in their heads about it, they let addiction drive them, people have no control over themselves. Unfortunately, I had to quit because my body was screaming at me to do so, but I haven't really felt any negative effects from it since I've quit. You've really just gotta put your foot down and STOP. And that's it. Think of the money you'll save. That and, I still have some of a pack left, so I'm going to sell them to bums at school, a dollar each. :D

Your heath is more important than something that you think makes you feel better. We'll see how I do this week at school with my stress issues, but I really need to find another outlet. If I didn't live in Hell in America (Florida) I would be more inclined to try to work out a little. But again, health issues and I can't stand the heat down here, so I'll find another way. If there's a will, there IS always a way. If you really want it, you can make it happen. You can do anything you put your mind to, just DO IT! :) (I know, a bunch of corny phrases we've all heard before. But I assure you, if you believe it, it makes a huge difference.)

Good luck.

SkuzzieMuff said:
I thought that I would like the electronic cigarette, but due to poor health I had to quit cold turkey Friday morning.
I've always been a very "mind over matter" kinda person though, and at one time I was able to stop whenever I wanted because I didn't let myself get addicted; But now that I am addicted, and I've quit... ::shrugs::

People get all up in their heads about it, they let addiction drive them, people have no control over themselves. Unfortunately, I had to quit because my body was screaming at me to do so, but I haven't really felt any negative effects from it since I've quit. You've really just gotta put your foot down and STOP. And that's it. Think of the money you'll save. That and, I still have some of a pack left, so I'm going to sell them to bums at school, a dollar each. :D

Your heath is more important than something that you think makes you feel better. We'll see how I do this week at school with my stress issues, but I really need to find another outlet. If I didn't live in Hell in America (Florida) I would be more inclined to try to work out a little. But again, health issues and I can't stand the heat down here, so I'll find another way. If there's a will, there IS always a way. If you really want it, you can make it happen. You can do anything you put your mind to, just DO IT! :) (I know, a bunch of corny phrases we've all heard before. But I assure you, if you believe it, it makes a huge difference.)

Good luck.

Yeh I tried the electronic ciggarette too. But I stopped that because who knows what chemical crap they put in those things, they are not very tightly regulated and mostly sold over the internet.

I am one month and 3 days smoke free as of today.

I quit using snus (www.northener.com), its a Swedish smokeless tobacco product and can be bought in two strengths, those being 8mg and 19mg of nicotine.

That's the stuff that got me through the first two weeks, a tin of it only costs $5 including postage (if you're in the US.) Only buy one tin, otherwise you may become addicted to the stuff.

Using that product is said to be 98% less harmful than smoking.

Whichever way you choose to quit, nothing can replace a cigarette, there's not really an easy way of quitting. Best of luck though James!

My friend who used to smoke all the time, she want to quit smoking. Instead of buying cigarettes, she bought lollies instead. Whenever she had a urge, she get a lolly and suck it.
My family were smokers so some of them died of lung cancer or smoking related, I wish they thought of something like this so they would be here now. My dad was a long time smoker but gave up while ago (I think he secretly smokes because I can smell it on him sometimes.), he now suffers health problems because of it.

Latest posts

Back