So it ends with radio silence.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red_Wedding_Casualty

Reaction score
This year I turn 29. You know how this sort of story is told. "Never had a girlfriend', 'never really had any experience with girls', etc. I won't bore you with my life story. It's just that...... Almost a year ago, leading up to quite recently now. The prospect of all of that changing dangled infront of me-in much the same way as the grapes of Tartarus dangled before Tantalus. The only difference being that my torment came to a silent-if abrupt end.

I'll start at the beginning. Roughly April last year. She was a friend of a friend of mine whom I'd met at a nightclub get together. We never really spoke that much at first. Though, a few drinks changed it. We went outside, and I checked my phone, and she recognised a character from a video game we both play. Then we really hit it off. Heh..... I remember that night well. We spent most of it huddled together, texting on our phones because the music was too loud.

From there, the friendship grew. We saw movies, we had many long conversations on Steam(as in the game site), played games together online and offline. And caught up for lunch and shopping sessions. It was actually her that showed me where I was going wrong with my dress sense. In that I was buying sizes too big. In general, the friendship was good. Really good infact. But I knew I was falling for her. But then this was the closest I've ever been to a woman on a personal level. So it was best for everyone involved that she never catch onto my feelings. All of my interactions had to be made purely on a friendship level. If I even so much as made any attempt at flirting. She'd catch onto what was really in my head, the friendship would be ruined, and I'd never see her again. For the time being though. It was good.

November comes. And I finally move out of my parents house and into my apartment of my own. Once I tell her the news, suddenly I start seeing her weekly, as opposed to monthly. We're texting almost everyday. Some of our outings, well...... If I was a less intelligent man, I might have called them dates. Still, with the friendship better than ever before, I had to be even more dilligent so as not to let my feelings for this girl get the better of me. Any word or gesture that suggested I wanted anything more than friendship, meant an abrupt cut off. I couldn't risk it!

I remember the last night I ever saw her. We had lunch, went back to mine. Played video games, then watched horror movies until 1 AM. That next day, I spent a good 2 and a half hours with her on Steam helping her proof read a piece of writing she was working on for a coming. Tuesday: Nothing. Then, Wednesday. I text her to confirm if we were still catching up that Sunday. Her reply: "I'll pass. I've decided I'm going over to my friend's house to bake with him that day." My reply: "That's cool. Guess that means I'm able to catch up with my parents for tea. Have fun :)".

...That was over a week ago. There's been no contact since then. I'm sitting here. In my loungeroom wracking my brain over where I went wrong. And how I was found out. What exactly happened, how and why are ultimately inconsequential. What matters is that the right thing happened. And I need to keep doing the right thing: By maintaining radio silence, and allowing her space.

She occupies my thoughts all the time now. I can't even enjoy a game the same way with this yearning plaging my mind. I still see her online on steam quite frequently. I can't bring myself to talk to her. I wouldn't even know what to say now. I'm sure even, "Hi. How are you?" is sure to end awkwardly. And yet, at the same time I can't bring myself to just block and delete her. The illusion of us someday talking and going back to the way things were brings me a small measure of comfort strangely enough. And on top of that, my social situation in general is slowly deteriorating. In a comment to another post, I spoke of how I was seeing less and less of my friends as they all gradually coupled up. I guess that, not deleting her permantently will serve as a reminder of how close I was to having that romantic connection with someone.

Still, I maintain radio silence. Because it's the right thing to do.....

Just reach out and say hey, how's it going?

There's always a chance she was interested in you, and since you never made a move, she gave up. It happens. Women typically expect the man to make the first move.

Amthorn said:

There's always a chance she was interested in you, and since you never made a move, she gave up. It happens. Women typically expect the man to make the first move.

Even IF(and this is a hypothetical if) that were the case, then the right thing has happened. By rendering myself as a non-romantic factor, she might meet someone else more brave, more confident, and more capable of showing affection than I am. I suispect this has either happened, or is currently happening now. Either way, I'll never know.

In anycase, I'll continue to do the right thing by her.

Red_Wedding_Casualty said:
Amthorn said:

Even IF(and this is a hypothetical if) that were the case, then the right thing has happened. By rendering myself as a non-romantic factor, she might meet someone else more brave, more confident, and more capable of showing affection than I am. I suispect this has either happened, or is currently happening now. Either way, I'll never know.

In anycase, I'll continue to do the right thing by her.

If this is truly how you feel, then you should be happy. If not, then maybe you should reach out to her. What do you have to lose?

No. You're right. I should be happy. This is ultimately a good thing. In anycase, I can't just reach out now without the awkwardness that will no doubt come with it. The whole reason she initiated radio silence was because I was found out. You're right in the sense that I've got nothing lose at this point. But at the same tme, I don't feel I can restore what I once had with her. Making the gesture entirely pointless. I...... don't want to feel the hurt that comes with inevitably being shot down. The radio silence hurts enough as it is.

But, like you said. I should be happy for her. So, there's nothing else for me to do. But the right thing.

RedWeddingCasualty - what are you saying she's 'found you out' in? Do you suspect that she just wants you as a friend? If so can you deal with that or would you always want something more? If you're never going to see her again in real life, there would be nothing to lose to reach out to her as a friend and just say Hi and keep it casual - then guage a response from that. If you do nothing, can you live with yourself for not knowing? I'm sure if she was anything of the friend you thought she was she'll honour you with some sort of answer - closure or an opening. I know you are being respectful and maintaining the silence, but really from your message she may have come to an assumption herself that you aren't really interested. You have nothing to lose for trying. And if you get a rejection then at least you know it's a rejection and you can move on. Otherwise it will play on your mind forever? Just a thought, and good luck with it :)

"Radio silence" is the worst thing you can do. It will wreck your head and make you unhappy as you clearly are. Putting on a brave face doesn't work.

You at least need closure - just a reason why she went cold on you. You never know it might be something that you can help her with or maybe something you can work through together. Maybe even pick things up where you left them. But it sounds like you had a wonderful friendship blossoming and at the very least finding out what happened is important for your own happiness and sanity.

All the best dude :)

Whenever someone suddenly cuts off all forms of contact it is because they cannot deal with providing an explanation.
They hope you'll get the unstated, but clear message and just give up on them. This way, they do not have to be held responsible for their actions - and you, my friend, are left to deal with the fallout. Since you haven't had much experience with girls, this type of bailout is a common situation.

Had she truly wanted to be your friend, she would have told you something, no matter how hard it would be to do so.
Apparently you built up something more in your own head. Seems she just used you for your valuation, like a stepping stone, until she met someone she really wanted. In this case, a potential romantic possibility. I also get the vibe that you cannot handle what she might (and most likely) would tell you, if she even bothered to care to do so. You prefer to hang onto an illusion of your own creation.

Waiting for a dream relationship at some point in the future is the WRONG choice here. She is not going to realize what she had or change her mind. Especially when the relationship was platonic at best.
in any event, it is not about words, it is about actions.

Lesson - move on, and forget. Also - he who hesitates is lost.

This is another aspect of relationships I don't get:

As for the OP, why should he be happy for someone who just abandoned him, discard him without any explanation?

The heck with her. If she was a true friend, told you how things are, and really cared, then I can understand taking the high road and "being happy" for her. Otherwise, she deserves nothing of any feelings, care or concern. I certainly would feel anything but happiness toward someone who treated me in that manner.

Stand up for yourself. You have a right to be happy and treated with respect.

I am guessing she met somebody else and is hanging around with them. Maybe a man.
She probably isn't even thinking about you much.
I wouldn't block or delete her because she may come back to you.
Try not to think about her too much, try and make other friends.

"November comes. And I finally move out of my parents house and into my apartment of my own. Once I tell her the news, suddenly I start seeing her weekly, as opposed to monthly."

So you've been seeing her on regular basis for a short time, and you're worried that a week passes without any contact. That's not a long time really. A month, yeah, something's up.

Latest posts

Back