So i've been on this site about a week and a half

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When dealing with topics and providing answers, it might be a good idea to use the sandwich method by:

Providing a positive statement,
Providing an *appropriate* "negative" statement with love and compassion, and
Ending by providing a positive statement.

This way, you ensure the person you are addressing feels valued & acknowledged while providing a a different point of view.

Remember: Sugar catches more flies than vinegar!

hellomiko said:
People on here just want sympathy, not advice.

I don't think that it is one or the other. A fair number of people are here for the social aspect and are not looking for advice or sympathy.

Yes it would be nice if a PM was acknowledged but as has been mentioned already, some of us do not have the best social skills.

Like the OP said, people were calling out for help and he offered that. He opened opportunities for a conversation for those who were asking for help. It's only the polite thing to do to say 'thank you' for caring.

It's contradicting: if you lack social skills than it's logic to reply to a message because you yearn to improve your social skills and connection especially when you're calling for help. But I don't think it's a matter of social skills, even people with good social skills will not reply to a message.

So whatever the reason, what boils down to it is that the person didn't want to talk to him at the end. Period. If you really wanted to talk to him, you would reply.

SophiaGrace said:
Pheenix said:
Humans might be unpredictable, but they shouldn't be, speaking inside the context we are now.

I'll give you a predictable context.

Parent and child.

Parent should love child. (predictable context)

Parents don't always love their children. (unpredictable outcome)

Thus, humans ARE unpredictable.

I never contested that they were. To clarify, by "shouldn't" I meant from an ethical perspective.

On another forum I used to be offended when someone would write a post asking for help/feedback, I would post help/feedback in that thread, all the while being careful of my tone, respectful, responding in a similar way to the other replies, etc. and the original poster would thank others but not me. Then I realized that while by my admittedly old-fashioned standards I was justified to think it rude that the other person didn't give me a thank-you, by newer social standards the person wasn't trying to be deliberately rude or dispresectful. In other words, by my older social standards they were quite rude but by newer social standards they weren't doing anything reprehensible. I was the one who had to change my expectations. That doesn't make me wrong, and it doesn't make the person who didn't thank me wrong. It is what it is.

I hope that makes some sense -- I know my explanation is sort of garbled.

Makes perfect sense.
And that was not ironic, if it sounded such.

Latest posts

Back