So, this happens :(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpendable

Reaction score

It Happened To Me: I Ended Up In Bed With A 27-Year-Old Virgin
He waited until he was putting on a condom to inform me that he’d “never done this before.”

Here’s the thing: For the last few months, I've been on kind of a dating kick. But it ended recently because, well, honeysuckle got kind of real when a man I was thisclose to sleeping with told me (read: sputtered at me), "I've never done this before."

Good lord.

This is how it went:

After amicably (although profoundly sadly) ending my relationship with a man I loved very deeply, I had

to get my sea legs, so to speak. But really what I ended up getting was my sea drunkness. And my sea promiscuity.

Because damnit, I'm a confident 20something with a grown-ass job and it's Wednesday and I'm alive or whatever that quote from "Girls" is.

Anyway, I jumped into the seventh circle of Hell that is OKCupid and went on a bunch of dates. It was pretty easy to do -- I’m gainfully employed and live in a city where, statistically, women have the upper hand in the dating pool -- and I basically started kind of collecting men like Pokemon.

I'm not proud. OK, I'm a little proud.

In the midst of this Katamari ball of mostly-forgettable, frequently problematic men, I met one who was shy and sweet and seemingly well-adjusted. He had a real job and a real place to live and wasn't sketchy and didn't really seem into bullshitting around. He was cute and stylish and we had enough things to talk about, so I was hopeful that, while I wasn’t looking for a relationship, the idea of going out with someone kind and not-weird for a while sounded pretty appealing.

And he followed up with polite texts and liked to make plans, so we did go out a few times. Three times, to be exact.

Which, interestingly enough, is the exact number of times it usually takes to go from “Should we sleep together?” to “Yeah, might as well just sleep together.”

That wasn’t how it went at all, though. Oh Jesus Christ, it wasn’t. And not for any reason I was even mildly prepared for. Because I don't know if, after a sex bender, you can ever prepare to feel the feelings you feel when the man with whom you're between the sheets tells you he's never had sex. Never. Had. Sex.

Maybe I should’ve known by his relative clumsiness at everything leading up to sex, but then, a lot of guys in their 20s are still pretty fumbly in that realm. But honestly, there were no firm clues.

It’s not that surprising -- with teen sex rates going down, there must be more 20-something virgins walking the earth, right? But to be fair, the vast majority of Millennials have already given it up; by age 19, seven out of 10 women have already had their first sexual encounter.

To answer all of your questions: No, he wasn’t religious. No, he wasn’t bad-looking. No, he didn’t appear to have anything critically/criminally/pathologically wrong with him. He was just very shy and very smart, and I think the combination successfully cockblocked him throughout college and well into a smart-person job that has almost no dating prospects.

I’m fairly sure that the reason I was so shocked was because he didn’t tell me during our walk back to his place, or during that awkward time when we were on his couch looking at each other with very little left to say. (Turns out, it was so awkward because he legitimately didn’t know how that situation usually pans out). Or even when it became clear that sex was imminent and I started unbuttoning my dress.

In fact, he waited until he was putting on a condom to inform me that he’d “never done this before.”

After the shock, there were two options, really: Do it with the awareness it would not be good for me and potentially emotionally difficult for him, or don’t do it and leave the poor dude still standing with his V card firmly in his trembling hand. So naturally, I went into caring stranger mode.

“Oh, jeez,” I stammered. “OK, we need to stop.”

Internally, I was screaming at myself to not laugh, not make a face, not judge. He definitely didn’t need that -- and really, he should get points for honesty, right? But outwardly, I was ultra-calm.

“I don’t think I can be the person you do this with. I’m not going to be your girlfriend, this isn’t going to be a relationship -- and you probably should do this with someone who is,” I told him as placidly as possible. He just groaned.

For a split-second, I did consider another possible plan: Come back at a later date for the mercyfuck. Maybe he just really wanted to get it over with, and I could be the somewhat-slutty (in the most positive way) lady who could come along and help him get over the hump of virginity. But almost immediately, I realized what a terrible idea that would be, because this did not seem like the kind of guy who could go from zero to 60 and suddenly start having casual sex.

In the end, I had to just leave his apartment and know that there was a very good chance I wouldn’t see this man again. It was just too sticky of a situation, and one that felt more appropriate for someone else to handle. Maybe if I were a kinder person, I’d have been more willing to assist -- or maybe it’s a super-entitled, narcissistic thing to assume that he’d even really wanted me to.

He waited a full week to text again, and when he did, he asked me to come over and watch movies, which, with any other guy, I’d assume was code for “have sex with a movie playing somewhat uncomfortably in the background.” But with a virgin, it was all new territory.

I didn’t respond, which I don’t think was the right thing to do, though, in this story, I don’t know that there was a good outcome possible. Maybe there was -- I’m sure you’ll tell me what I should have done.

Original Article

First of all, I ain't surprised seeing a story like that and the comments below. Just saying. But I'm only interested in one other thing really: What do you make of this? Are you afraid now because you're 27 as well?

Rodent said:
First of all, I ain't surprised seeing a story like that and the comments below. Just saying. But I'm only interested in one other thing really: What do you make of this? Are you afraid now because you're 27 as well?

I'll be 28 tomorrow. I've been afraid since 23.

Xpendable said:
I'll be 28 tomorrow. I've been afraid since 23.

I'll be 24 in a couple more weeks and I wasted enough time in puberty being worried about this "condition" called virginity. Cause when I look at the story above I know a thing which is a whole lot less desirable. And I'm not even talking about this mindset where you deem a certain (low) number of dates an appropriate basis for having sex. I'll never get that. Regardless I'll be looking at the story a little closer cause that's what triggered you to start this thread in the first place.

We got a woman who is clearly not looking for a serious relationship after coming out of one recently and she's going on dates. On the other side we got a shy guy who goes on dates with this woman. We don't know if he is looking for a serious relationship, but based on his virginity, his good manners and generally non-aggressive attitude we might wanna assume that he isn't just looking to get his rocks off. I think it's rather clear that thing wasn't gonna work out nicely in the long run.

The guy was too insecure to disclose his condition early on (not that he's obligated to) and too clumsy to pick up the clues. Fair enough. But somehow I think this woman is hardly any less insecure, cause she wrote a blog entry about it, admittingly feeling bad about how she handled the situation and asking for third-party opinions. Frankly, just as the guy could've disclosed his virginity earlier on (which would've ended with him getting dumped even sooner), the woman could've stated she wasn't looking for anything serious (and the situation would've been clear). That's what happens when people don't communicate well enough and we end up with nothing but losers in a story.

The way I look at it: When you are looking for something serious and the other person is just looking for fun - and nobody discloses their intentions or circumstances - it won't end well. People get their hopes up and then they get hurt. Doesn't matter if you are a virgin or not.

LOL ...makes it sound like he has the plague or something

If 3 "dates" is what it takes her to keep her dignity ...it tells you more about she feels about herself ???
sounds like he would still treat her well

Xpendable said:
And did she lost?

Enough to write an anonymous blog entry asking for validation of her questionable behavior. In other words:

*INSECURITY INTENSIFIES*

Well, this is disturbing. Still, I sort of wonder at that. This is certainly a thing I worry about but, well, I don't think I would be able to have a lasting relationship with someone who has sex so casually. I don't have anything against someone like that, but well, I don't like the idea of such casual relationships.

Still, makes one wonder, should one say they're a virgin in a relationship? I would certainly be scared of having such a reaction.

Edit:

It really frustrates me when women hold a man's virginity against him. I suppose not everyone is like this, but that sort of happened to me and thinking about it made me upset.

Is this from "XO Jane". YOU CAN"T believe that site. They are desperate for shocking stories to get eyes on the site. Most of that stuff is just made up. OR some of it is just exaggerated beyond belief. Please don't think that this is reality.

Honestly, this guy sounds like my type of guy...she needs to send him my way. I always meet man sluts, I find it so rare and sexy when a guy is virgin. I knew this guy at work who was 25 and a virgin. It was his religion/culture and his parents were going to find him a wife, if he wasn't going down his cultural road I would have been all over that lol Don't let this get you down, not every girl has that opinion about virgins. One of my ex's wasn't a virgin, but he had a lot of firsts that he still hadn't done yet and I enjoyed taking them all.

If that blog post is real and not fiction or highly exaggerated clickbait, the "anonymous" writer sounds narcissistic. Is that the type of woman you're looking for to have intimate relations with? Please say no.
On "a sex bender". She thinks maybe she should be a "caring stranger" instead of turning him down. Or "come back a later date for the mercyfuck". How charming.
Also, if you're worried about your own sexual history or lack thereof, there's no law or rule that says you must divulge that you're a virgin to your first partner. You can be vague or circumspect about things if the topic comes up. The actual act is not brain surgery; there's no secret password or coded message that you must know to do it.
One would hope anyway that your first partner is someone you actually care about and are already in a caring relationship with instead of just a quick one night stand with a narcissistic blogger, no?

-Teresa

LonelySutton said:
Is this from "XO Jane". YOU CAN"T believe that site. They are desperate for shocking stories to get eyes on the site. Most of that stuff is just made up. OR some of it is just exaggerated beyond belief. Please don't think that this is reality.

Doesn't matter. It must have happened in some point and in some places. Many times.

SofiasMami said:
If that blog post is real and not fiction or highly exaggerated clickbait, the "anonymous" writer sounds narcissistic. Is that the type of woman you're looking for to have intimate relations with? Please say no.

No, but this type of women aren't exactly rare.

VanillaCreme said:
Be honest is what I'm getting from that story.

How could he hurt her with not revealing that information?

Honestly, she kind of sounds like the type of woman who could make a false accusation of rape pretty quickly. I wouldn't want to sleep with that.

Xpendable said:
How could he hurt her with not revealing that information?

I don't think it's really about hurting or not hurting. Because to be honest, like Panda was saying, not all of us care. But wouldn't you just be honest anyway? If you had someone you loved and cared for, wouldn't you feel comfortable confiding in them? Because that's how it should be, virgin or not. Intimacy doesn't always involve penis and vagina. Being close and personal doesn't always mean sex.

Yes personally I don't get it. Lets just assume for a moment that you do come upon a virgin. And presumably, the sex won't be great because he doesn't know what he is doing. Well, and here is the great part, you can teach him what you want. If he is young, over and over and over again all night long.

Compare and contrast... get yourself a (perhaps) older guy, set in his ways, who knows what he is doing -- wrong - and then, is done and falls asleep before you had your fun.

Anyone who thinks the second option is better is a simpleton.

More reason I think anything like this is simply bunk written to provoke or be provocative but is in no way representative of reality.

VanillaCreme said:
I don't think it's really about hurting or not hurting. Because to be honest, like Panda was saying, not all of us care.

Online women don't care if the men is virgin or shy. They don't care if he's poor or lives with his parents after 30. Online women are kind and comprehensive. They don't care how you look like or how much money do you make. Online women are sure that most women are like them and that men don't know what are they talking about. Online women are just one of the boys and have to constantly separate themselves from the bad women (who are a few) Men can't find the Online woman because they're too busy whining and complaining. Men have no idea how women behave because they don't listen to the Online Woman. Men who don't believe the Online woman just haven't work on themselves enough and gained self confidence, otherwise they would see most women are actually like the Online woman. Only when men accept what the online woman says is true, then they'll be finally deserving of any women; online or not.

VanillaCreme said:
But wouldn't you just be honest anyway? If you had someone you loved and cared for, wouldn't you feel comfortable confiding in them?

If this is gonna be reaction then of course men would feel comfortable being honest.

VanillaCreme said:
Because that's how it should be, virgin or not. Intimacy doesn't always involve penis and vagina. Being close and personal doesn't always mean sex.

Don't patronize me.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:
I don't think it's really about hurting or not hurting. Because to be honest, like Panda was saying, not all of us care.

Online women don't care if the men is virgin or shy. They don't care if he's poor or lives with his parents after 30. Online women are kind and comprehensive. They don't care how you look like or how much money do you make. Online women are sure that most women are like them and that men don't know what are they talking about. Online women are just one of the boys and have to constantly separate themselves from the bad women (who are a few) Men can't find the Online woman because they're too busy whining and complaining. Men have no idea how women behave because they don't listen to the Online Woman. Men who don't believe the Online woman just haven't work on themselves enough and gained self confidence, otherwise they would see most women are actually like the Online woman. Only when men accept what the online woman says is true, then they'll be finally deserving of any women; online or not.

VanillaCreme said:
But wouldn't you just be honest anyway? If you had someone you loved and cared for, wouldn't you feel comfortable confiding in them?

If this is gonna be reaction then of course men would feel comfortable being honest.

VanillaCreme said:
Because that's how it should be, virgin or not. Intimacy doesn't always involve penis and vagina. Being close and personal doesn't always mean sex.

Don't patronize me.

How many women do you see when you go out in your city or wherever on a day trip compared to how many do you talk to in that same day? I could see thousands of men and only talk to 1 (if that) and thats not even in depth. Sometimes I'm sitting there and I wonder if the people passing me by are people who I'd get on with so good and we'd be great friends or lovers but I'd never know because I'd never talk to them. You run into people like that on the Internet because talking is the primary thing people do online, they're not busy with life and they have the opportunity to share that opinion. I don't care if my bf lives with his parents, my bf is 35 and living at home with daddy, doesn't bother me one bit. Now if I was single it's not like I'd walk down the street yelling that opinion at random, No one would ever know unless they asked me. The only time I've ever said I don't care about a man living with his parents is online because that's the only place I've ever had the opportunity to talk about it as its been brought up.

lonelypanda said:
How many women do you see when you go out in your city or wherever on a day trip compared to how many do you talk to in that same day?

You miss my point. How many people are actually honest online?
I never found the opinions I see online reflected in the real world. Why is that?

Just the other day I had a crushing sense of loneliness and I decided to o out to specifically find people how could help me get rid of the feeling. I walked for 3 hrs, around 15 kms and got nothing. I only saw decadence and deception. Looked for book stores or parks, looked on avenues and pubs. Nothing. It got dark and went home weary. I saw alcohol consumption and fights, bums asking for money for drugs and loud families venting their stress on the sidewalks.
Does it matters if I talk with anyone with those characteristics?
Are you really suggesting every person could be special?

lonelypanda said:
Sometimes I'm sitting there and I wonder if the people passing me by are people who I'd get on with so good and we'd be great friends or lovers but I'd never know because I'd never talk to them.

I do too until they give me the "why is he daring to look at me" frown.

lonelypanda said:
You run into people like that on the Internet because talking is the primary thing people do online, they're not busy with life and they have the opportunity to share that opinion.

Anonymity prevents honesty.

Latest posts

Back