Social Media and Romance

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like some of what LC said up there about shutting off the tv. I still enjoy a good story (movie, book), but I rarely watch tv. I catch some news and I may run a music choice channel or catch something artsy on the Arts(?) channel, and that's about it. My problem is that my mother, who I've been taking care of from a financial standpoint since age 25 (I'm now 30) is just stuck in life. So she spends 98% of her days here at my apartment watching tv all day, sitting at the computer, and working in the kitchen.

K...
If your straving....
There's not always going to Be steak avaliable.
Just pork are avaliable. Consuming pork is against
Your morals and beliefs.
You choose to strave more, which cause more dementia.
So when people advuce you to eat, you tbink they're
Fucken evil or outta their fucken mind...
So they eat the pork to sustain themselves

While your walking in circles talking to yourself in your delusions.

Then the day came when a herd
Of cattles came to town.
Poeple that sustained themselves
Are well and strong enough to
Go herd cattles. Taking the bulls
By its horns. The risk and reward
Factor...

Your still sittimg in the conner.
Delusional and afriad to get hurted..You simply missed the boat.
Its everyones fualt that you didnt eat.
And you want, want want steak handed
to you on a silver plate..

Excuse the fresia outta us evil people...

Even reading a book is not safe. Writers have a habit of sneaking romantic stuff in there too.

Romance scenes in the media don't make me sad but sometimes they make me feel sick. I guess I don't get depressed over them because most of the time it seems like such a Hollywood constructed version of love/intimacy that it's not realistic enough to be able to identify with, even in a fictional context. But I can see how the constant in-your-face can wear a person down.

Lonesome Crow made a good point about ads being designed to make you feel inferior. Companies are trying to sell a basic product but at the same time the ads are designed to sell you popularity or inclusiveness or love. They prey upon the basic human need to feel needed to get you to surrender your money. Much of the time when I see an ad I will ask myself "what promises are you trying sell the consumer that have nothing to do with your actual product?"

It seems that romance scenes are designed to do a similar thing but in a slightly different way. If the writer has played their cards right, then by the time we get to the love scene we can identify with the characters and experience the scene vicariously through them. We even put ourselves in their position a lot of the time so there's this weird undertone of "you too can have this...but you can't...but you can" and it is highly engaging. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've not said this very well.

Also, does anyone remember the movie Legally Blonde? It was kind of a cult favorite for a while amongst middle/high school/college girls.
This conversation reminds me of the scene after the main character, Elle, has a falling out with her boyfriend. It shows her laying in bed, eating a box of chocolates while watching tv and one of those mushy romance scenes comes on the screen and she throws the entire box at the tv.

You know why that's on TV? Because that's what people want.

The majority of people have rarely those kind of "relationships" we see on TV. That's why they are prevalent, because the TV Producers are appealing the public's desires. The same as music, they want to appeal to people. People want to experience that kind of love and relationships, most don't, so hence the TV Producers and Music Records decided to use that in their favor, to make profit.

Of course its a load of crap (for the most part). Is police training like the movie Police Academy? Is College/School like American Pie? Is Rambo an accurate portrayal of a Commando?

Rambo wasn't your atypical commando?

honeysuckle! Another illusion shattered.

Thank god we still have Dirty Harry.

Latest posts

Back