Starting to lose focus on the double life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limlim

Reaction score
Those here who know me best are aware that I have sort of a double or triple life going on where I am extremely careful to prevent overlap on. To put it bluntly I am a huge nerd who pretty much takes joy in every hobby in existence which the general public thinks is odd. I don't know why it turned out that way, it wasn't a conscious decision on my part to do so.

- I'm a gamer who likes RPGs, strategy, point n' click adventure games and the like who wont touch the manly acceptable first person shooters like Halo and "battlefield modern call of black ops duty with warfare 8".

- I play miniature based wargames like warhammer40k and lord of the rings

- I play the ocarina in my spare time for the express purpose of learning video game and anime songs

- I watch anime, and worse the less popular stuff so that even among anime nerds I'm a nerd :p (People look at me funny when I yawn at the thought of death note)

- I play pen and paper roleplaying games (Yes thats right, dungeons and dragons.... shut up! :p ) I'll even do it online via chat window and scripts with friends of mine elsewhere on the continent.

- I have a group of online friends I've known for about 8 years now that I'd probably trust over my own family, and my family is pretty trustworthy.

- I was tearing apart computers in my spare time to see how they worked when I was a kid and have been obsessed with them ever since. I live my life on a computer and firmly believe that it is what drives me away from a normal life, not that I use the computer to avoid said normal life.

- I've flown across the US to visit said online friends and to go to anime conventions (the latter being something I did when I was a lot younger, not so much now) and I am considering hitting up the worlds largest LAN party in Sweden next year if I get the chance.

Anyway, my family, my coworkers and anyone who I associate with on a day to day basis knows NOTHING about any of this. I keep the two lives as separate as I can, as I know others will think less of me for doing these things, or at the very least be uninterested. I'm not just saying this as a sort of gesture of uneasiness, I have literally seen these people make fun of the stuff if they ever hear about from any outside source. Verbally expressing an absolute loathing of people who enjoy those sorts of things.

... To which I respond by raising my beer and going "Don't know much about any of that, can't make an opinion on it one way or another" and then shooting the pool cue while my brain yells at me for playing pool in the first place since it's ******* boring.

It's strange because these aren't mean people, or rather you wouldn't think it from any other dealings you would have with them. But God help you if you aren't meeting that minimum social requirement of not enjoying those things. A fact that I wouldn't even have known about them had it not come up for one reason or another. As a result most people I know like me or at the very least don't think anything bad, and I find myself invited to their social events and am treated nicely by them. Meanwhile I am bored out of my skull, and wonder if I am the only person that likes to do these things. It could be that there are more people out there like me, but we all know to keep our mouths shut about it so we never meet. ;)

I was at a best buy when visiting my sister and I noticed a greasy, pimply faced, overweight teenager in sweat pants and a stained T-shirt playing the opening to an anime called "Angel Beats" on a demo keyboard they had set up in the corner. While looking at a sound system beside it, I casually mention "I liked that anime, but was never able to figure out how to play the tune". He looked me up and down, saw me standing there with my average figure, clean haircut, and workplace casual clothing and just gave me a look of utter shock as he responded with. "But... you look normal, how do you know about this song?"

I didn't really know what to say to that, so I just shrugged and said I was a closet case, then left to go to my sisters house.

Girlfriends that I have had have accused me of being too much of a closed book, and wonder what that glassy eyed stare is I have when I am visiting their mother, shopping with them for clothes or when playing poker with "the guys". In my head I'm thinking about how to beat the next level of an RPG, how to make friends with the dragon in my d&d game next week, and what sort of army arrangement I should set up for my jetpack orks so they can get the advantage over imperial space marines. I tell everyone I was thinking about work when they ask.

The double life is starting to get to me. I don't think I could "come out of the closet" so to speak anytime soon, as I know it will effect my workplace relations and by extension chances for promotion and the like. (Say what you will, but how you fit in socially does affect this, even if on paper they say it wont). What's worse is, I have now been a member of a forum for lonely people for about a year now, and I am deathly afraid of my online fellow nerds of finding out I go here! So I create another wall of separation with an alias I use nowhere else and have created the proverbial triple life. :S

The fluffy answers seem to be to be honest with myself and not care what others think, and that I'll find people like myself while succeeding at the rat race in the long run. I'm not convinced that that is how it works, and the stakes are pretty high in exchange for the payoff of additional comfort and comradeship.

Thoughts?

Edit: Here's a song I love that I hold very close to me :) (One comment minty and I will UN you forever) (d)

[video=youtube]

My thought is that you are an extremely interesting, multi-dimensional individual...

I would highly consider you for a friendship...however, i DO play those "manly" games you speak of...so, not sure this would work out, hahaha just joking around.

I'm interested to know why you've created so many of these little lives to hide from certain groups of people...acceptance?

I think, just be who you are...you never know who is out there- possibly someone just like you.

I am totally quoting your compliments of me in chat. Beware of massaging my ego! :D

The acceptance is important, if only for the very real effects it has on my everyday life, especially where my job is concerned. I observe people a lot, so unless they are hiding in plain sight like I am, I can tell if they are like me in that regard. It seems a safer thing to do than outright express my interests like that. :)

(And I meant about my taste in music minty!)

LimLim I don't know how your hobbies would affect your image socially, cos my friends and I and most people at uni before, always thought of ''nerdy'' or ''geeky'' people as cool (hmm) But as long as they're not the arrogant types. Maybe it's cultural differences (hmm)

and I am interested in ocarina now (D)

aaand also, be thankful your secret hobbies doesn't involve killing bad people (wary)

Good friends don't judge on "weird hobbys" everyone has some stuff that seems weird to other people, that's not a bad thing.

On the work stuff, it isn't right, but indeed what people think of you can matter. I kinda missed an promotion after 5 years of hard work just because the boss liked somebody else more not considering the work that has been done, big demotivation there :(

I used to do kickboxing and i love metal music(people assume you're an aggressive person when you say this also a bad thing at work etc..)
And the metalheads don't understand why i also listen to more softer music too. I've been to metalfestivals too with other people, and then i stand out because i refuse to use drugs and while i like to drink beer or other alcoholic drinks, i'll never drink myself wasted.

I also have friends that are into the pen&paper roleplaying (mostly warhammer), i kinda rolled in to that and it's fun to do. We're not taking it to serious and it's a lot of fun, an evening with friends, bringing some snacks and drinks, and having fun.

With those people i also started the warhammer battle game, so i started modelling too because you can't have one without the other :)

Talking about roleplay and battlegames always makes other people start making weird faces, but offcourse at work it's a topic that i don't talk about.

Got the same problem with games. people here play the shooters and offcourse soccer because it's so popular in europe, i couldn't care less about those things. I've played wow for several years but stopped because it's too time consuming. but i'm looking forward the new diablo.

So i feel like i'm pulled to all different directions but don't really belong to a "group of people"

And then offcourse there's the internet forums, that's a thing nobody knows i'm doing, but sometimes i feel like i need it just to be able to talk to someone, sitting alone too much kinda drives me crazy

Not all too relevant, but i just thought it was worth writing it down :)

People experiment with different things in their lives for a short time and then decide they're not right. This forum may just be a phase for you, and in the long term not apart of who you really are. You don't have to share absolutely everything with everyone, especially to people at work. If you do reveal things, then expect to be judged by them. Not everyone in your life needs to really know you because not everyone who comes in and out of your life will be able to accept you for how you are, completely.

floffyschneeman said:
LimLim I don't know how your hobbies would affect your image socially, cos my friends and I and most people at uni before, always thought of ''nerdy'' or ''geeky'' people as cool (hmm) But as long as they're not the arrogant types. Maybe it's cultural differences (hmm)

and I am interested in ocarina now (D)

aaand also, be thankful your secret hobbies doesn't involve killing bad people (wary)

It is very much a cultural thing Floff, especially in this part of Canada. Redneck culture is very much anti-nerd in nature. :)

I take it you've started watching Dexter? :p

So i feel like i'm pulled to all different directions but don't really belong to a "group of people"
Very much this Stormrider. While I enjoy the geeky activities mentioned above, I don't cross that line into devoting my entire being to it. Probably what keeps me in the closet about it. I sometimes wish normal activities that more people do like poker and billiards entertained me enough to do on a regular basis.

People experiment with different things in their lives for a short time and then decide they're not right. This forum may just be a phase for you, and in the long term not apart of who you really are. You don't have to share absolutely everything with everyone, especially to people at work. If you do reveal things, then expect to be judged by them. Not everyone in your life needs to really know you because not everyone who comes in and out of your life will be able to accept you for how you are, completely.

I've wondered if perhaps my time on the forum is coming to an end soon. It did a great job of staving off the lonely feelings for a long time, but now it's sort of feeling like a crutch. I guess we'll see what I'll do. :)

I came out of the nerd closet some fifteen years ago (I’m in my thirties now) and all I can say is that providing you don’t talk and preach about your hobbies all the time (unless you’re surrounded by likeminded folks) then everything should be ok. It’s the same rule that applies to sport or movie fans talking to people who aren’t interested in those subjects.

The only problem I have is my appearance. I work out, I have a shaved head and most people see me as a rough and ready biker type so you can guarantee that if anyone strikes up a conversation then its about sports, cars or drinking. Three of the things I despise and have no interest in leaving me to either play along or come out at the risk of scaring them off.

ALL is a part of who I am. I'll always be here if anyone ever wants to talk to me.

Limlim said:

more like stopped. I watched it before but only til third season.

and I have to admit, Dexter's alter-life is kinda cool (wary) --not taken seriously

As someone who has lived a double-life and still does in some ways...

In my experience, the truth comes out eventually and sometimes unexpectedly. In my case, it all blew up at once :cool: And when it did, it was an ugly and brutal experience.
I still get crap because of it. Though our situations may not mirror each other, but the essence of them are pretty close. As harsh as it was being exposed, that relief of not having anything to hide is completely freeing. Or even being able to say, "Yep, this is me. Take it or leave it."

On the other hand, you're entitled to have secrets. Do you owe it to your co-workers to tell them about your personal life? Nope, I don't think so. Significant others? Maybe, depending on how much you trust the person. It says a lot when you have to smother something that is apart of yourself around someone who should ideally be someone you can confide in. Family? This is the big one. I don't like turning to my family for many things... But they've proven in the past that they'll accept me no matter what, even if they disapprove... Or when it all comes crashing down in one big dramatic explosion. :p

Sometimes letting go and not giving a fresia (pardon the language) can be the best feeling. Because, as you probably already know... It's exhausting to constantly mold situations and applying the glue to prevent from being figured out. It even may take a toll on how you view yourself, too.

... This was a long post. Wouldn't blame you if you tl;dr it.

floffyschneeman said:
Limlim said:

and I have to admit, Dexter's alter-life is kinda cool (wary) --not taken seriously

NO!!!! don't ruin it for me! I LOVE that show, my husband and I just got into it, we're on the 4th season...so don't talk anymore about it! :p

Breathe_No_More said:
floffyschneeman said:
Limlim said:

NO!!!! don't ruin it for me! I LOVE that show, my husband and I just got into it, we're on the 4th season...so don't talk anymore about it! :p

haha I wont, though limlim might ^^

I can sympathize. Its weird when you have to push down parts of yourself to the extent that it feels like you're setting up a divergent personality; the headspace goes crazy. On the other hand, your job is important and going to be defining who you are for years down the line, so you really can't bother to threaten it. I'm fortunate that in my service I never had to deal with this, but unfortunately, I know the redneck Canadians you speak of. Feels like your best bet is to keep it up, and wait for the promotion or transfer that gets you out of that goddamn boonies.

As far as online friends finding out that you go to ALL - I don't think that is as big of a problem. What can they do to you, troll you? :p They don't hold your purse strings and they probably have been in similar situations, so I don't think that is a triple identity you need to keep, imo.

I once had someone I worked with Google me to try to find out information about me. Then he found it and posted it on Facebook behind my back to make fun of me. Then he got fired. I didn't know why until a week or so later when someone told me. I left that job for other reasons a few months later.

In my case the truth did spill out a little bit. But I no longer know any of those people I worked with so it didn't turn out that bad.

Luckily most of my friends in real life are the same kinds of people I like online so I don't really have to keep it that secret.

You should come to this side of Canada! :)

But in all seriousness, having a double life is hard to avoid since it's often impossible for everything in life to follow one single track. I'm not downsizing how you are feeling though, since it does get tiring to be the leading protagonist in two/three separate stories and keeping them from getting intertwined.

I agree with IO in that the third life does not seem as necessary as the first two. You said that you trusted these guys probably more than your own family. Of course you don't need to go out of your way to reveal everything to them, but if it does come up, I recommend slowly letting them know. It could deepen your relationship, who knows.

If it helps any, I think that everything you mentioned in the first post is awesome, especially the ocarina and anime. ;) If all of us lot are being so understanding of you, there's got to be someone out there in real life that will feel the same. Best of wishes to you in finding that/those person(s), and just living a comfortable life.

I might end up over there at one point, especially if I get my posting preference. :p I found out the hard way I am very much not a redneck culture person at all!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I might one day tell my online friends about it, but they are also sort of my "poker buddies" (despite the fact we don't play poker) in that we have that unwritten rule where we don't talk about stuff like that. Which is weird given how much I would say I would trust them, but I guess part of what makes me comfortable around them is that we don't bother with things like that and just enjoy the company, doing what we love to do.

As far as my coworkers finding out my personal life, the reason why it is somewhat difficult is because in the military (and especially in the middle of nowhere) your work and personal lives become very intertwined. It isn't like a regular job where you never see these people outside of the office, the line between coworker and friend becomes very blurred with the nature of this work.

Pretty much goes: "Hey want to go out for wings tonight?"

and I think (honeysuckle, I have my game on Tuesdays) and then go "uh... I can't... I have a.. thing."

"A thing? what are you talking about, there's nothing to do here."

"honeysuckle... uh family stuff."

"Your family lives 2 provinces away."

"dammit! I mean... I told them I'd call them on the phone, sister had a baby... long 2 hour talk, you know how it goes."

:D

2 years to go though, and hopefully I'll be outta here! With my luck they'll send me to Newfoundland next and I wont be able to understand a word anyone is saying! :p

Limlim said:
I might end up over there at one point, especially if I get my posting preference. :p I found out the hard way I am very much not a redneck culture person at all!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I might one day tell my online friends about it, but they are also sort of my "poker buddies" (despite the fact we don't play poker) in that we have that unwritten rule where we don't talk about stuff like that. Which is weird given how much I would say I would trust them, but I guess part of what makes me comfortable around them is that we don't bother with things like that and just enjoy the company, doing what we love to do.

That's the way it is with my online friends too, quite often. There's no need to make a confessional, just don't be too concerned about hiding it persay - if they find out, just go "meh, I was lonely and I found some cool people to talk to there. So, are we going to play a board game next or what?"

You know, be shameless about your sins. I'm sure you're good at that ;)

Limlim said:
... I might one day tell my online friends about it, but they are also sort of my "poker buddies" (despite the fact we don't play poker) in that we have that unwritten rule where we don't talk about stuff like that. Which is weird given how much I would say I would trust them, but I guess part of what makes me comfortable around them is that we don't bother with things like that and just enjoy the company, doing what we love to do.

I am not really into the whole anime, otaku, RPG, video-gaming thing. It sounds your problem is you think shared consumption with people even online can make them your friends. But apparently not. If you look at the current low threshold of modern people, they think consuming the same bands, the same video games is something that they have in common. But it is not, this is just a fallacy caused by the shallowness of our culture and society. Having is not being. Who you are is not what you consume.

Have you thought of getting into something like mountain biking, hiking, or anything else will actually get you outside and possibly interacting with people in real life? I think people have a need to explore new environments, but video games are a very poor substitute to satisfy this need to explore. People have a fundamental need for some type of physical exertion, too much sitting infront of a pc does not meet this need.

Latest posts

Back