Stop Talking to Yourself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
perfanoff said:
Do you realize you're contradicting yourself?

Now to make myself a bit of a fool by taking you seriously, here goes: the brain has TWO HEMISPHERES. And it is a NEURAL NETWORK meaning a network of neurons. Thoughts always work in parallel in contrast to older computers which run serially. Perfect parallelism is of course impractical, there need to be connections between two ongoing thoughts, and that's why you call this "internal dialogue" - the meeting of two propagating thoughts. The only way to stop your internal dialogue is to become a zombie that can never think of more than one idea at a time, neither can it work on trying to disprove an idea while also trying to prove it. Meaning you want people to be dumb. Why do you want people to be dumb? What do you have to gain from it? Respect? Acknowledgement? Money? Sex?

There is no contradiction in what I have said, but what you stated here is nonsense that you made up. By silencing the mind through meditation you can reach a state of clarity and inner peace. This does not make people "dumb" in fact when you connect to your higher self through meditation much knowledge becomes accessible to you.

Focused_Intent said:
There is no contradiction in what I have said, but what you stated here is nonsense that you made up. By silencing the mind through meditation you can reach a state of clarity and inner peace. This does not make people "dumb" in fact when you connect to your higher self through meditation much knowledge becomes accessible to you.

Why do you keep hijacking my thread? Turtles! Turtles!

Let me guess, it's the Buddha that speaks to you. Let's do a simple experiment. You will meditate on a topic of my choice and you will come back with the profound knowledge that has been made available to you by your all-knowing inner self. Meanwhile I will be studying it.

And inner peace is one of the most destructive forces for a person. If that is 100% reached, this person will no longer have a reason to live.

perfanoff said:
Let me guess, it's the Buddha that speaks to you. Let's do a simple experiment. You will meditate on a topic of my choice and you will come back with the profound knowledge that has been made available to you by your all-knowing inner self. Meanwhile I will be studying it.

And inner peace is one of the most destructive forces for a person. If that is 100% reached, this person will no longer have a reason to live.

You say many outlandish things. I am here only to spread knowledge I have nothing to prove. If you need verification of the things I'm saying then I recommend that you meditate on it and you will find all the answers you seek.

ladyforsaken said:
Seriously?

The internal dialogue is very destructive. Amazing feats can be accomplished when inner silence is achieved. In fact people wouldn't feel lonely if they weren’t constantly talking to themselves about it and how it makes them feel. It is impossible to be depressed once you have learned to quiet the mind. Many people think that they are the only ones that have constant conversations with themselves in their mind and they don't like to admit it because they are afraid others will think they’re crazy. Of course it’s their internal dialogue or EGO that tells them others will think they’re crazy and it’s the ego that cares what other people’s egos will think. Seriously.

I always talk to myself. I talk to inanimate objects. I don't think I'm lonely? Or depressed. I think I'm totally fine. I always have conversations with myself. And I love it. I tell this to everyone I meet. Seriously.

Focused_Intent said:
ladyforsaken said:
Seriously?

The internal dialogue is very destructive. Amazing feats can be accomplished when inner silence is achieved. In fact people wouldn't feel lonely if they weren’t constantly talking to themselves about it and how it makes them feel. It is impossible to be depressed once you have learned to quiet the mind. Many people think that they are the only ones that have constant conversations with themselves in their mind and they don't like to admit it because they are afraid others will think they’re crazy. Of course it’s their internal dialogue or EGO that tells them others will think they’re crazy and it’s the ego that cares what other people’s egos will think. Seriously.

So now you've got me completely confused as to the intent of your posting here- you're on a site for lonely people, are you trying to save us from ourselves due to your unique meditation abilities? I can't help but feel that absolute silence doesn't really bode well for creativity.

Personally, if I don't talk to myself I don't hear what I want to hear- bonus is I'm never wrong. Usually. I have lost arguments with myself though.

Did someone say bacon?

Did Fry guy and Pogs consummate their thing for each other? Does LK know Pogs has a wandering eye?

ladyforsaken said:
I always talk to myself. I talk to inanimate objects. I don't think I'm lonely? Or depressed. I think I'm totally fine. I always have conversations with myself. And I love it. I tell this to everyone I meet. Seriously.
Talking to inanimate objects is a good way to break self importance. It is through your internal dialogue that you are confirming your beliefs. This is unhealthy and energetically wasteful because you are giving energy to these thoughts and the result is emotion. Seriously.

WildernessWildChild said:
So now you've got me completely confused as to the intent of your posting here- you're on a site for lonely people, are you trying to save us from ourselves due to your unique meditation abilities? I can't help but feel that absolute silence doesn't really bode well for creativity.
I am not trying to save you from anything nor is there anything unique about my meditation abilities. You and every person is capable of creating inner silence through meditation if you are willing to put forth the effort. When you create silence you are tapping into the originating source of all your creativity. Your internal dialogue does not give you creativity it distracts you from it.

WildernessWildChild said:
Personally, if I don't talk to myself I don't hear what I want to hear- bonus is I'm never wrong. Usually. I have lost arguments with myself though.
This is not humorous it is typical.

Focused_Intent said:
ladyforsaken said:
Talking to inanimate objects is a good way to break self importance. It is through your internal dialogue that you are confirming your beliefs. This is unhealthy and energetically wasteful because you are giving energy to these thoughts and the result is emotion. Seriously.

Somehow, I find this humorous. Are you saying I'm making myself less important by talking to things? What if these inanimate objects have feelings? That's what I think and that's why I talk to them. Does it make me less important, unhealthy?

I like it.

Seriously.

Focused_Intent, I've never been able to tell you this before, but you are one hell of a sexy *****. I think I'm developing intense feelings towards you.

ladyforsaken said:
Somehow, I find this humorous. Are you saying I'm making myself less important by talking to things? What if these inanimate objects have feelings? That's what I think and that's why I talk to them. Does it make me less important, unhealthy?

I like it.

Seriously.

No you misunderstand. The average person thinks they are too important to talk to inanimate objects or plants because that would be a waste of their time. It is good that you can talk to them. Everything is conscious energy and that which makes up a rock is the same as that that which makes up a human being.

What is unhealthy is sustaining the internal dialogue or talking to your self.

Seriously.

Focused_Intent said:
Everything is conscious energy and that which makes up a rock is the same as that that which makes up a human being.

Seriously.

I guess if I meditate on this, it will come clear huh? Where's your proof or you're going to refer me to more holy texts and "Teacher's books" ?

Can you make a single post that doesn't have a dubious claim in it?

This thread reminds me of growing up and the old "Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself" so, "stop talking to yourself, stop talking to yourself"

perfanoff said:
I guess if I meditate on this, it will come clear huh? Where's your proof or you're going to refer me to more holy texts and "Teacher's books" ?

Can you make a single post that doesn't have a dubious claim in it?

What is proof?

Proof = the evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or fact.

The best evidence that you can receive to compel your mind is personal experience so instead of demanding proof from me you should meditate and bring about the personal experience that will give you the proof your analytical mind desires.

Focused_Intent said:
ladyforsaken said:

I like it.

Seriously.

No you misunderstand. The average person thinks they are too important to talk to inanimate objects or plants because that would be a waste of their time. It is good that you can talk to them. Everything is conscious energy and that which makes up a rock is the same as that that which makes up a human being.

What is unhealthy is sustaining the internal dialogue or talking to your self.

Seriously.

Well, I find talking to myself very entertaining. I don't really mind if it's unhealthy. I take it as my form of meditation. This is entertaining. Seriously.

Focused_Intent said:
The average person thinks they are too important to talk to inanimate objects or plants because that would be a waste of their time.

Haha, is this the only reason? If people had time, would they go around talking to paper and windows?

Focused_Intent said:
Everything is conscious energy and that which makes up a rock is the same as that that which makes up a human being.

Hmm, not quite but I know what you're getting at, quantum entanglement proves it's possible, people don't think of it on this level, and even if they did, I don't see any benefit.

Focused_Intent said:
It is as if they are scared of silence and to be alone with themselves because they fear what they might discover... I am talking purely about the internal dialogue and the constant chatter that takes place in the average persons mind as they talk to themselves about their beliefs. They then confirm their beliefs with their internal talking.

Yep!

I didn't need to go backpacking in India for a year to find myself, I just got my car stereo stolen and this ********* popped up in the back of my mind. Now this guy starts winding me up even further if I have the slightest worry/stress/reason for a bad mood, and I've been to some lengths to shut the f**ker up

ladyforsaken said:
Well, I find talking to myself very entertaining. I don't really mind if it's unhealthy. I take it as my form of meditation. This is entertaining. Seriously.
I respect your decision. Just know that it's not a form of meditation, in fact, it's the opposite of meditation. Seriously.

9006 said:
Haha, is this the only reason? If people had time, would they go around talking to paper and windows?
No that's not what I mean either. Even if the average person had lots of extra time to waste they would consider their time to important to spend it talking to inanimate objects and plants. That is why there are some teachings that advise people to talk with plants to break their feeling of self importance. Have you ever heard someone say “Hurry up, time is money.” To me this is very sad because they are equating their self worth with how much money they can accumulate.

jzinsky said:
I didn't need to go backpacking in India for a year to find myself, I just got my car stereo stolen and this ********* popped up in the back of my mind. Now this guy starts winding me up even further if I have the slightest worry/stress/reason for a bad mood, and I've been to some lengths to shut the f**ker up

Yes do you see how people use music to try and escape from the internal dialogue? To me the idea of listening to somebody singing/screaming their opinion or made up story for hours each day seems very strange, but people will subject themselves to anything if it distracts them from themselves. Consider how some rap music even insults the listener and people still listen and enjoy it. Now that is ludicrous and I am not talking about the rapper.

This has evolved into a very serious discussion. All jokes aside, thanks to the OP for bringing light to this forum.

Seriously.

Latest posts

Back