Stop Talking to Yourself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Internal dialogue is fine. It's what that dialogue is that can be a problem. Me? I narrate my entire day. I talk to myself. Your entire existence is a dialogue with yourself.

Scotsman said:
Internal dialogue is fine. It's what that dialogue is that can be a problem. Me? I narrate my entire day. I talk to myself. Your entire existence is a dialogue with yourself.

Me to, I discuss my options with myself. 'So, what shall we get Edward? Hmm, how about this Edward? Nah, that looks better! Good call Edward, you are so awesome. Ahh thanks, you too Edward.'

Well, almost like that, with less of the 3rd person stuff :D

Focused_Intent said:
You said it right here:

Scotsman said:
Your entire existence is a dialogue with yourself.

Yes! And that is the problem.

Dude, I do that too. Seriously though, what if I don't think it's a problem and I'm just happy living with it? I think I'm doing perfectly fine in my life so far.

Holy s**t- it works!!!

Instead of muttering to myself about the neighbors dog barking I went and banged on their door, woke them up, and gave them s**t!!!

I feel much better now that I don't have that voice in my head going on about how much the dog is p*****g me off.

On a sidenote, what kind of an idiot leaves their dog outside in a campground bordering the forest- tasty treat for the coyotes, cougars, bears, wolves, random redneck with beer and firearms....

I love feeling serene :p

ladyforsaken said:
Dude, I do that too. Seriously though, what if I don't think it's a problem and I'm just happy living with it? I think I'm doing perfectly fine in my life so far.

Yes I understand. Your internal dialogue tells you that there is nothing wrong with talking to yourself and then your internal dialogue agrees with it's self. Makes perfect sense right?

Not really. Because I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My internal dialogue doesn't make decisions or agrees or disagrees to anything. I'm in control. No?

Focused_Intent said:
jzinsky said:
I didn't need to go backpacking in India for a year to find myself, I just got my car stereo stolen and this ********* popped up in the back of my mind. Now this guy starts winding me up even further if I have the slightest worry/stress/reason for a bad mood, and I've been to some lengths to shut the f**ker up

Yes do you see how people use music to try and escape from the internal dialogue? To me the idea of listening to somebody singing/screaming their opinion or made up story for hours each day seems very strange, but people will subject themselves to anything if it distracts them from themselves. Consider how some rap music even insults the listener and people still listen and enjoy it. Now that is ludicrous and I am not talking about the rapper.

Read my post again.

Are you seriously telling me that trying to silence a voice that has, before now, driven me to points of insanity/misery/anger that I've ended up playing games like "how many times can I cross roads without looking before I get taken out" or "will that branch take my weight" is ludicrous?

Got any other suggestions?

jzinsky said:
Are you seriously telling me that trying to silence a voice that has, before now, driven me to points of insanity/misery/anger that I've ended up playing games like "how many times can I cross roads without looking before I get taken out" or "will that branch take my weight" is ludicrous?

Got any other suggestions?
I am encouraging you to silence that voice the internal dialogue. What I said was ludicrous was the lengths people will go to distract themselves from the voice music being one example of that.

Ladyforsaken said:
Not really. Because I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My internal dialogue doesn't make decisions or agrees or disagrees to anything. I'm in control. No?
For starter there is something I want you to realize and that is: THAT VOICE IS NOT YOU. Now I'm going to appeal to your analytical mind and give you some scientific data. What I call the internal dialogue scientists call sub vocalization (self talk).

People have about 50,000 self talks per day. Your brain can talk to it's self 4 times faster then you can verbally speak.

When scientists studied the chemicals released by the brain during these self talks they found that about 80% of the self talk is negative or limiting in some way. That would be around 40,000 of them.

Now of the 50,000 self talks per day the average person is only paying attention to or aware of around 5% of the self talk. That would be about 2,500 self talks. Of the 2,500 self talks 80% of them are negative or limiting in some way. That is about 2,000 negative or limiting self talks per day that we are aware of.

That means for every positive thought the average person has 4 negative or limiting thoughts.

A person considered to be balanced has 1 negative thought for every positive thought. 1:1
A irritable person has 2 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 2:1
A unstable person has 3 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 3:1
A person suffering from P.T.S.D. has 4 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 4:1
A person that is manic depressive has 5 negative thoughts for every positive thougt. 5:1
A person that is B.P.D. (borderline personality disorder) has 6 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 6:1
A person that is schizophrenic has 7 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 7:1
A person that is psychotic has 8 negative thoughts for every positive thought. 8:1

Human kind is currently living in P.T.S.D. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Let me try to explain this a different way. The internal dialogue is basically your mind programming. Let me give you an obscure example of what I am talking about.

Lets say that a young girl is told by a boy she likes that she is ugly. This will be saved in her subconscious mind. Later in life her internal dialogue will tell her that she needs to buy make up, go on a diet, buy better clothes, ect.. It will tell her that her makeup doesn't make her look pretty, that she is still fat, that her clothes fail to make her look good which will lead her to dress more and more slutty because she is seeking the approval of men. Actually she is still seeking the approval of that little boy that told her she was ugly many years ago.

You see the internal dialogue is using preconceived notions that were formed early in life. Almost all of these notions are irrational and don't apply to your life anymore. Sadly many children are placed in front of the tv their new babysitters and they watch television programming which programs the minds of those foolish enough to watch it while at the same time it emits elf waves. The tv teaches these kids to be materialistic and shallow. Later in life their internal dialogue will tell these people how they should behave and what should make them happy based off this mind programming that was designed to turn them into predictable customers and productive members of a society that is obsessed with the idea of consumption.

So when you say that talking to ones self is fun what I hear is, "Being a slave to my mind programming is fun." Your internal dialogue is not you, you are consciousness. Consciousness observes the internal dialogue and the ego. Did you forget that you are a energetic multidimensional spiritual being that is capable of creating any reality that you wish to experience?

Focused_Intent said:
So when you say that talking to ones self is fun what I hear is, "Being a slave to my mind programming is fun." Your internal dialogue is not you, you are consciousness. Consciousness observes the internal dialogue and the ego. Did you forget that you are a energetic multidimensional spiritual being that is capable of creating any reality that you wish to experience?

Well, you might need a bit of mushrooms for that. Or a religious brainwash. Or both.

perfanoff said:
Well, you might need a bit of mushrooms for that. Or a religious brainwash. Or both.
Religion has nothing to do with it. Religion only adds to the mind programming because all religions are a form of social control.

Yes mushrooms can expand your awareness allowing you to perceive more thus experience more of what is really there. For example right now there are high and low frequency sounds that are all around you, but you can't hear them because they are not within the frequency range of what you can experience.(20hertz-20,000hertz) The same is true for light because you are only able to perceive visible light. That is light that falls within 380 nanometers-740 nanometers. Human beings are only perceiving a very small percentage of the energy that is actually there. Things like mushrooms expand awareness allowing you to experience more of what is there.

The fallacy is thinking that our reality is all there is and that we know a lot about the world we are experiencing. Humans beings know practically nothing and perceive hardly anything. This also applies to me. The more I learn the more I learn how much I don't know.

As much as I don't buy into what you're talking about I gotta give you credit for the consistency of your posts, the good intentions of what you're sharing, and being the better person despite some of us (me included) being somewhat mocking. Or jacka**es.

Like I said, I don't buy in but I admire your style.

+1

Focused_Intent said:
perfanoff said:
Religion has nothing to do with it. Religion only adds to the mind programming because all religions are a form of social control.

Yes mushrooms can expand your awareness allowing you to perceive more thus experience more of what is really there. For example right now there are high and low frequency sounds that are all around you, but you can't hear them because they are not within the frequency range of what you can experience.(20hertz-20,000hertz) The same is true for light because you are only able to perceive visible light. That is light that falls within 380 nanometers-740 nanometers. Human beings are only perceiving a very small percentage of the energy that is actually there. Things like mushrooms expand awareness allowing you to experience more of what is there.

The fallacy is thinking that our reality is all there is and that we know a lot about the world we are experiencing. Humans beings know practically nothing and perceive hardly anything. This also applies to me. The more I learn the more I learn how much I don't know.

On the contrary, shrooms make you imagine things that aren't there, amplify the signal-to-noise ratio of the unconsciousness, change the brain chemistry, all kinds of "awesome" stuff.

Now if you just go to the **** shop and buy some UV goggles, screw that, X-ray goggles, you'll see and experience more. Of course, you won't feel as wondering and nauseated from using them, they don't tend to have those side effects.

Anyway, by your logic I don't expect you to be making a new post. I'm expecting you to drink a gallon of bleach in your strive to enrich your experience :)

Latest posts

Back