That Awkward Moment

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't sit there if I had a professor act like that towards me. I would verbally tear him a new ******* before doing everything possible to get transferred/him fired.

AutumgGypsy said:
Last semester, I happened to be in a college class where the teacher encouraged a lot of class discussion. Usually in these classes, I just seem to skate by without contributing or take the hit in my grade (I still manage an A though! ha-hah!) Some are more picky than others. Anyways, one day my professor got really aggravated, and made a point to say how quiet the class was. After he JUST GOT DONE saying that only about 5 people talk, and the rest of the class is deadly silent, he decided to point me out directly and say "Like you...do you even talk.. ever?". And the entire class was hysterical.

Anyone else tired or dealing with moment where someone has to make a verbal point of how quiet you are? The thing that got my goat on this one, was that he singled me out specifically against a whole roomful of people. What made me more quiet than anyone else? I also have no idea what the point was of making me the laughing stock of the whole class.

I honestly don't think its so strange to be quiet, and I hate forcing myself to be outgoing and talkative against my nature just to avoid being singled out and made fun of.

I totally get that. Its extremely uncomfortable because I have selective mutism to begin with. People joke around and say "Oh shut up" when I'm not even saying anything because they think its just ~hilarious~ and that I surely haven't heard that one before. Its just annoying, really. It causes unnecessary discomfort.

At the very most they should be encouraging you and not singling you out. He doesn't sound very professional. I hope that the experience doesn't bother you too much.

On a side note I hate being compared to other people especially family members like they are better or worst than me and that I am going to end up like them. My Gramp thinks that I'm an alcoholic like my Mum even though I rarely drink. My older brother is allowed to drink as much as he wants, whenever he wants and nobody ever seems to be bothered by that.

I had that happen to me, though the proffessor pulled me aside after class to ask about it. It was weird the way she was talking to me - like she'd never come across a shy person before, like she'd didn't even know what shyness was. I could barely even say anything in response.

If you ask me, a thorough understanding of shyness, introversion depression, social anxiety, add, and every other social or mental disorder should be mandatory before anyone gets a teaching certification.

Latest posts

Back