The boredom of isolation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Its amazing how I seem to be able to sit for hours just staring at this screen, not moving, I don't know how I do it...I don't do anything at all...I think I would be astonished if I saw myself from outside, as a person would, at how much of a dead zombie I must appear to be. I have no interests at all...The only thing I enjoy is humour, but know no-one here, to laugh with. its quite a dumb university...Its terrible...being avoidant, just started my last year of university, have absolutely no interest in my subject, psychology, I am only interested in my own neurosis' which has yet to come up...Have no friends here...Its a small uni so not many societies...I'm considering starting some sport like tennis, where I won't be bullied by a group of 'lads' as I probably would in football or something...I have already spoken about the one person I know being the girl I live with who I love but has a bf...My only salvation is going home on the weekend to my hometown and seeing old friends there. My main hobby is listening to pumping house music while having grandiose fantasies of being a famous comedy writer/actor in the future...And the girl I love watching me on tv or youtube or something, hahaha. Yet I do absolutely nothing in the present towards this. Sometimes I try and sit at the computer and write comedy but its hard on your own, when your this unhappy, anxious, and haven't been with people who make you laugh in ages, to write funny things. I feel like If I just knew one funny person here it would make a lot of difference. Convincing myself I am a genius and above everyone sometimes helps, until I realize I'm not. I actually almost don't want to make a friend here because I feel like I would find it painful to laugh again and be happy.

Oh i'd die for some humour. I miss joking around, i miss someone listening to me joke around. I dont even live alone, i live with my fiance.. but his mind is always elsewhere.

i know what you mean about sitting for hours.. i sit iin front of the screen just to appear less vegetative.

Alex, write.

You say you cant write humour due to the way you feel. You may be surprised.

Not sure where your from, but in UK there was a guy called Tony Hancock who made a massive career out of depressive humour and how life always got him down and was against him, how bored he was, how miserable. He is considered a genius by the media and comedy set over here. (youtube something of his, Hancocks half hour).

Using your experiences NOW may help shape your future.

Write it down, each day.

what uni you in cos im in a small one (durham).... i wouldnt say i reached that stage of depression/passivity but im just a nosy (but friendly) bugger and would like to hear how you lived through uni being in such a state!

your love triangle situation sounds undesirable (which is understable) but remeber this ...."be in control of your situation, not controlled by it!"

Durham a small uni? Pff. Try Farnham UCA, which is in a village and without basic facilities like a gym.

Don't wait for inspiration, Alex, because it'll never come if you do. Put yourself in a situation where you are constantly inspired. Join a drama/improv group or something, where there are people around you to challenge you and get the best out of you.

As for "no hobbies" ... get some. Now. Life is terrible without them. A musical instrument, or decks if you like house, or even a mix-program (you can rip some off the internet) - people need music to express themselves, and no other area in life really accommodates this.

Draw. Cartoons are great for comedy. Do climbing or canoeing - the people who do this are less jock-like, and exercise will improve your mood. Best of luck, LB.

All of the above. Please write - depressive humour is the best. Keep a notebook with you at all times so that you can write down random thoughts that might come to you during the day (or night.) Thoughts about your uni, your situation, the people who surround you, the food. Anything and everything.

Then you can try your writing out on us to hone your skills :)

I've experienced similar feelings, for me I found that it was because I lacked direction with my life and ultimately purpose. I don't think we are just physical beings, and that our bodies are just a box for our spirit and reflects the state of our spirit.

Sounds to me like you would benefit from loving to live life, and to do so you need to find things that you are interested in, or try to become interested in stuff.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I shall check out Tony Hancock Uk chappie, you guys are right I'm just gonna try and write more, even if its honeysuckle...'heythereRoger' I'm at Winchester uni...I survived uni this far via dropping out of Leciester in year 1...and finishing the year at home with the Open university. Then came here second year as it was nearer home, and thought the course would be better than the combined course I'd been doing...and kinda did the same thing I am doing now, going back to Reading being my salvation...Are you liking Durham?

Latest posts

Back