The decision you regret the most

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr X

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Lately, I was thinking, why is my life the way it is right now? Which decisions that I have made, have led to the life I am living now? Of course it's not all about the decisions you make, but I do think they make a great difference in life.

I do think I have made some decisions in my life that were wrong. There's one in particularly that I still think of every now and then.

I liked a girl for over 2 years, and we were close friends. We were in the same class in school, and both kinda liked each other but it never worked out. Until one night, on a party, we kissed. The one thing I've wanted for so long, had happened. But then, some friends saw we kissed, and they started telling me that I was sooo stupid to kiss her and that I should dump her immediately. I started to think and think and wasn't even sure about anything anymore. (I was very insecure back then) Eventually, I told her it wouldn't work out. She went home crying and I went home with the worse feeling ever.

That night, 3 years of friendship was ruined. I tried to apologize to her the next day, but of course it didn't matter. I never dared to face this girl or talk to her again to this day. She probably still hates me and I still regret what I did that night. Maybe she wasn't perfect but I think we really fit together. Maybe we even would be still together if I hadn't done what I did that night.

So, what is your decision you regret the most in your life?

Can't say I regret anything so far...not that I'm happy with how my life is going but frankly I just can't see myself doing things differently... I like to believe that sometimes things happen for a reason, maybe it's not very obvious or maybe you won't know until much later in your life. There's definitely a few things I can recall that have been pretty much life changing for me but as I said , no regrets.

Regarding what you said , don't beat yourself up about it , best thing you could do is give her your sincere apologies and then do the hard part , forgive yourself and move on, dwelling in the past won't bring you any good (yeah I know it's easier said then done, but most of the times the obvious solutions are the best).

Quick edit : For future notice though, don't listen to anyone but yourself. YOU know what is best for you. I'm not saying your friends meant to hurt you , but sometimes friends tend to be overly protective and can actually do more bad than good.

The highschools I chose turned out crappy, first one I was bullied almost every day, then I changed for another hs when I got along with everybody but never made a real friend. So that's what I regret the most I think, I would've liked to at least have a group of friends to hang out with at that age (besides a few friends I had). I don't beat myself up over it though. Switching hs would have been too risky maybe...

having left a city and a situation where everything was going great to pursue somebody else's dreams, now it doesn't matter anymore, but for a little while it was a regret

I don't usually like to regret things I do. Because I feel like if there's something to learn from it (and there usually is if you look hard enough), then it's not regrettable. The only thing I've ever regretted really is not going up that ambulance with my dad anyway, despite them telling me I couldn't. It was my dad.. I should've fight for that chance. Sighs..

Mike510 said:
Can it be a decision someone made for me that I didn't want?

I guess. Just say it.

I regret that my daughter won't ever know what a real relationship should be like with her father. I also regret that there's no way I can make that up to her - I can't be a mother AND a father to her.

I'm usually a happy bee who can laugh at setbacks easily. I'm that guy who can shrug off almost anything. Almost, because there's this one girl. There's always that one girl. You know it.

Stereotypical teenager drama short story coming up. Just a little safe disclaimer, don't bother reading if you can't stomach stories like these. Ill try to not make this too long, as much as I can.

It was the first year of college. I was in a formal suit for some class, rushing upstairs for some meeting. Then suddenly, no one was there but this pale awkward bug-eyed short girl, looking all cute and lost. She asked for some directions and I kindly accompanied her. I later found out, that we were going to the same meeting, the university theatre club. Now at that time I didn't see her as someone special, just some weird kid, weirder than the average, but so were tons of other girls out here. Nor did I see her in any special kind of way for the following year. We would sometimes hang-out, share weird humor, and have occasional long coffee shop talks alternating between pseudo-intellectual crap and discussion of petty life dramas. Besides, she had a boyfriend that time, one of my close buds in the club. However, I remember always feeling a certain comfort being around her. And a hint of curiosity, something always mysterious about her. At that time when I feel like I know everything, I was susceptible being attracted to enigmatic people whom I can never figure out. So then there, I held it secret, even to go far as constantly denying it to myself, more so to mention it to anyone, that I was attracted to her.

Then came the summer of 2010. She broke up with her boyfriend. The guy's still trying to win her back, while I stayed in the sidelines. Came her birthday. We suddenly met by chance. She planned to spend her birthday alone before we met. She invited me over to her place. There was cake on the table, the same cake that her now ex brought her during the day. Cake, beer, and Family Guy. We ran out of beer so we went out the streets to buy more. We finished a bottle on the sidewalk. Went back up again. She cried, I hugged. We both drank so much, but neither of us became drunk.
If this were a movie, this is the part when:
step 1) I would confront my feelings to her.
step 2) She would reciprocate,
step 3) and then we would sleep together.
The first step never happened. Consequently the following steps didn't. What happened next was she went to bed. It was a double bed so she let me sleep at the top. The music she played was Katie O and the Kids, soundtrack to Where the Wild Things Are. All is Love was the song. I was awake that whole time, pretending to be asleep. Paralyzed.

Now I wouldn't be so caught up with this experience if it was just that. I mean, come on, there's still tomorrow. Then, the next day, she disappeared. Like, literally. People never saw her again. Her phone became out of service. Even her facebook which she rarely uses got cancelled.

A year passed and I got over it. I was walking by the street near the university entrance with some of my buds. Casually strolling by, I saw her. She was there by the tree, talking with some random common friend. Everything slowed down for me, My friends' voices faded out. I walked towards her and stood there, just looking at her with a 12-year old pre-teen half smile. I was Ryan Gosling. She noticed me, cried my name, ran towards me, then gave me a tight, affectionate hug. Stammeringly, I asked what happened to her. Turns out she did some hibernating mode herself, and preoccupied her time with her thesis.

This story would've ended perfectly with that, with me after waiting for the chance to see her again someday, Ill tell her everything, and actually do something this time. It would be a simple ending, with the audience sighing with glee as the credits roll out. But again, life is not a chic flick.

For the following months we were able to renew our friendship. Pathetically, I was still not able to tell her anything that has anything to do with my feelings. Again, I became comfortable with a comfortable friendship. And what complicated me more was, during the time she was away, I began to develop another relationship with a different girl.

She was then working, while I was finishing off my few remaining classes. On free days, we would go out with common friends, watch a movie, or have a pot session. All harmless family friendly stuff. Then around November of 2011, it became regular that we would take a taxi together at night - we pass the same way, she going to work from her condo near school, and me heading home. One night she was running off late, and I cant seem to contact her. And then suddenly, here I am now proud to say without any hint of bitterness, I shat myself. I sent her a really really long text message trying to tell her everything I've felt since we met five years before. It was a really awkward message. I mean, reeeaaally awkward (and I don't like using forced onomatopoeia). She responded well enough, with a text that was neither positive nor negative. However, I am stupid enough to beat a dying horse. The next few months I would be trying to send her messages, and asking for a date, or trying any of those stuff that the Disney Prince can charmingly effortlessly do. I then saw myself dwindle away. I deteriorated into the psycho suitor. I seem to have been trying to compensate my inaction for five years with a psychotic fervor similar to a meth-induced Sisyphus. I stood no chance with her, and at the same time, I've destroyed some of my own personal core beliefs.

The whole regret of this story is during that first night that I did absolutely nothing to at least gain or solidify my affection for her. I became too comfortable with the feeling of a meaningful friendship.

I've been rejected before, many times even. Rejection is nothing. But it's only with this one particular girl, that whenever I remember that particular time when I messed up, I could not help myself thinking of the chain-reaction that would be set that could have made so much a difference with my life right now.

Man, that felt good

EveWasFramed said:
I regret that my daughter won't ever know what a real relationship should be like with her father. I also regret that there's no way I can make that up to her - I can't be a mother AND a father to her.

But I'm sure you make for a good mother.

RonYells said:
I'm usually a happy bee who can laugh setbacks easily. I'm that guy who can shrug off almost anything. Almost, because there's this one girl. There's always that one girl. You know it.

Stereotypical teenager drama short story coming up. Just a little safe disclaimer, don't bother reading if you can't stomach stories like these. Ill try to not make this too long, as much as I can.

Thanks. These are pretty intense in their emotional charge.

So, what is your decision you regret the most in your life?

I regret so many things, I could cry thinking of them. I regret speaking up when my mum was abused by my dad (cos everyone blames me for the divorce), I regret getting into arguments with my mum after the divorce, she couldnt handle things at first (these arguments lead to be sleeping rough for two years). I regret drinking with my cousins, they are all messed up in the head like me so we were the worst drunks EVER (always crying about being unloved and then pushing each other away cos we cldnt handle love and getting violent with each other coz thats all we knew). I regret smoking, I regret having weed, I regret losing my virginity, I regret falling for a gardenia, I regret so many things...most of all I regret being me.
I also regret losing my best friend from uni, the only man that made me laugh to the point of tears. He is happy now, he was the one that got away...maybe for the best since Im broken :(

Broken? I see that must have some good courage to come here and speak instead of locking it all up. That's the thing with people.. it takes a lot, truly a lot to bring us down and destroy us. We keep getting up time and time again.

perfanoff said:
EveWasFramed said:

But I'm sure you make for a good mother.

Perfies... (hug) :club:

I regret not making a decent go of it at school and getting decent grades trying to get a good career while it would've been easier. i know its not too late and im trying but i wasted a lot of time and sure made thign harder for myself.

i guess i regret all the drug use i did and smoking weed for so long so heavily but then again it helped contribute to who i am today so im not sure, basically i had a hell of a lot of fun doing it but at the same time it sure made some things in my life a lot harder and held me back in a lot of ways but it made some things easier too i guess :). <-- on the fence about that one i guess

i also regret the poor judgements and choices i've made and the people i've hurt who i love.

I regret becoming attached to everyone I've ever become attached to as it always ends in one of two ways: unrequited feelings or terrible relationships.

Dissident said:
I regret becoming attached to everyone I've ever become attached to as it always ends in one of two ways: unrequited feelings or terrible relationships.

But don't those relationships let you learn and be a stronger and wiser person now? Do you regret learning those experiences?

I've only become more jaded, closed-off and bitter because of it. Nothing good has ever come out of any of it. I'd need a real game-changer to happen to alter my stance.

A girl. Always a girl.

Longish story coming up.

There was a girl I really liked a couple of years ago for the sake of this argument, we'll call her "S"... Back when I was studying. Spent the entire year getting to know her, we were in the same class and what-not.

The thing is.. The guys in my class, myself included.. Kinda thought she was a lesbian. She never talked about guys, always hung out with this other girl in class.. They always went clubbing together, they studied together they seemed.. I dunno, really close.
At that point in time, I was just kinda.. Feeling that I should just move on. There's no way she could like a guy like me right? Especially if she.. Well.. Bats for the other team so to speak.

So.. One day one of my friends talked to me and was asking me why I don't have a girlfriend yet.. I said that it was because.. I dunno, I'm mostly terrified of them - which was the truth at the time. He said he knew a girl who we'll call "C".. And introduced me to someone who lived on the other side of the country. She was younger than me.. A fair bit younger than me actually.
So we started talking, and at first we never really got along... But then we started hitting it off, had a couple of similarities in that we both played games, were both a little socially awkward and what-not and I found myself drawn to her... Just a little bit.

Anyways, a month or two after we start talking... "C" breaks up with her boyfriend and well.. I was there for her. I flew across the country to meet her and.. I thought everything would be good.

Everyone in my class knew about this. The guys were going crazy, telling me how good it was and what-not.. But this girl I liked "S", she stayed quiet about everything. In fact, while everyone else in my class had said something... This girl and her friend said absolutely nothing. I thought nothing of it initially, off in their own world as per the norm.
Around this time, I got put into a class project with "S" and we had to work together for a bit, spent time after class studying and getting the assessment right.. Had lunch together a few times, we talked a lot... About life, her family, my family, job, she was the first person to ever ask why I always seem to be so sick all the time. But I was so caught up in my own ideas that she couldn't like me, I had no clue.

I went to see "C" again.. We had a decent time together, and we decided that we were going to make things official.
Got back, everyone was excited... Except "S" and her friend.
Things continued until the end of the year... In our last week, we had a going away dinner after we graduated... And "S"' friend comes up to me tells me straight to my face "You know, "S" has liked you this whole time right?"
I didn't know what to say... My first reaction was that I laughed it off telling her "Haha, funny joke." she said she was serious... That I should go and tell her how I feel.
It had to be a trick didn't it? Her friend is TELLING me that she likes me? No way. She's a lesbian. They're BOTH lesbians... Aren't they?
I didn't know what to say or do; so I did nothing. The absolute worst thing I could do.

I left it alone... "C" asked me about it, and she was incredibly jealous. She said that if I liked her at all, we should make things official.
I'd never asked a girl out before, I didn't know what to say... I didn't think I'd be able to say it to "S" no matter how much I liked her... So I agreed.
Needless to say the final day... I got the congrats from everyone, first girlfriend and what-not whoo-hoo!
... I even got it from "S" when everyone was leaving and I swear, I've never felt so shattered in my life.
She walked up to me.. With the most defeated look I've ever seen in my life and said "I'm really happy for you. She sounds like a great girl."

That was it... She walked out the door and I never heard from her again.

At the time, I didn't care... Well, I didn't THINK I cared. I had what I thought I wanted, finally had a "girlfriend". It was all good for a while, things went sour rather quickly and it just turned.. Into fighting, all the time. Wasn't too much longer she convinced me to dump her by telling me she intended on cheating on me with another guy if I didn't do it. By doing it I'd be saving her, and myself.
In a span of a few months... I'd lost everything. The girl I'd been pining over for a year, the "girlfriend" I thought I loved, a lot of freaking money from trying to work 2 jobs to see her all the time - Plane tickets are expensive after all and a lot of my sanity.. I was stressed all the time.

----------------

I shouldn't have chosen "C". I settled when I shouldn't have. I went for the sure-fire option out of desperation when I should have gone for what my heart truly wanted. I don't regret much, but that is probably one of my only, and definitely my greatest. Something amazing could have happened... But what I got with "C" definitely wasn't worth the pain. Heartache, drama and ended up getting thrown away for a guy who was closer to her than I was... Even though she "loved me".
To this day, I still wonder what would have happened if I'd chosen "S" instead. Some part of me wants to try and find her on Facebook and try and get in touch with her. But I feel that ship sailed a long time ago.

But I dunno. As sad as it is for me to think about, definitely a positive to come out of this if anyone reads it.
I can tell you right now, never settle for the sure thing. I know... For myself that I need to go with my feelings. Not settle because someone's desperate, or I'm desperate myself. Never settle. Ever. You won't find true happiness that way.

Latest posts

Back