The Distinct Local Foods Thread. Whats yours?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we had a pizza dinner tonight with friends
I was going to go to a local bakery and pick up butter tarts
Wife said I needed to go get a fruit platter instead :club:
The fruit platter got completely consumed ... but it wasnt butter tarts LOL

Mole Aproximado

090824Mole_Aproximado.jpg

In Ireland we have stew and coddle. The recipe for both varies between families. In my house stew was beef stock with minced beef, carrot, potato and onion while coddle was beef stock with sausage, bacon, onion, potato and carrot.

On Hallowe'en and St. Patrick's Day we would have colcannon (which we just called curly kale), which is mashed potato with kale and/or cabbage mixed in. When I was a child we used to have ten pence pieces mixed in, as well. On Hallowe'en we'd have barmbrack for supper, which is a kind of sweet bread with raisins and sultanas. In the olden days, they used to bake five little things into the bread and if you got one in your slice it was supposed to be your fortune (bad luck, become a rich man, etc). When I was growing up, there was just a (fake) golden ring in it, which if you got it meant you'd be married within the year.

Another popular food is soda bread, which varies between the counties but in Dublin it's brown bread with with lots of baking soda mixed in so it's very savoury. Then of course, you have stalwarts like bacon and cabbage, which is still very popular. Never saw the culinary appeal of that one myself.

So yeah, that's my little corner of the food world. Lots of potatoes, who would've guessed? :)

Beautiful Loser...I have had Moxie, but not with fluff! lol

Miss Guided... those sandwiches really are good! I love them! :)

One of the most delicious of cheeses I'm into is Stilton. Very British and this particular Stilton, only Cornish Blue ticks my boxes. It won an award and tastes as absolutely wonderful as it looks.

Not local to me but NYC Pizza is the best

I went to some little hole in the wall pizza joint and OMG it was the best pizza I have ever had
Any time I know someone is going to NYC I suggest they try it ... everyone always agrees with me

BadGuy said:

I went to some little hole in the wall pizza joint and OMG it was the best pizza I have ever had
Any time I know someone is going to NYC I suggest they try it ... everyone always agrees with me

You should bring me some. :D

TheRealCallie said:
BadGuy said:

You should bring me some. :D

I would in a second but its a day drive just for me to pick it up ... might be cold by the time I get it to you LOL
Not sure the pizza alone could get me back into NYC ... a little busy for me LOL
Not even the part of it being busy ... takes so long to get anywhere

Latest posts

Back