The eff...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just sucks, there's zero job security then. Well, at least you can find another job fairly quickly so that's good.

Yeah, at-will employment can be bad when an employer fires someone for no apparent reason, yet it can also be good when you get sick of the job and can literally just walk off and tell them exactly how you feel without worry of repercussion. I only give employers a two week notice when leaving if I think there is a possibility I would need to work there again in the future. Otherwise I have walked off more jobs after getting fed up with their corporate BS.

IgnoredOne,

Not that it helps your situation, but do keep in mind that you don't have to tell other possible employers that you were fired and legally, your previous company can't really tell them either. All they can basically say if someone calls is, "Yes that person used to work for us." My understanding is that any other information could lead to legal issues regarding slander. (I may be wrong here, but I have never had any issues myself with this.)

it varies from state to state.

in the state that i am from, an former employer can only answer two questions:

1. did he work for you?

and

2. if given a chance, would you hire him back?

i've also spoken candidly with business owners who have asked and said WAY MORE than that.

it's a rotten, rotten system.

"at will" employment is of no benefit to the worker.

there are two types of employment...

1. at will

and

2. union contract

at will just means they can fire your ass for no good reason

if i ever come down with a raging case of the "terminal cancers", i'm not positive how i will handle that, but i'm certain several previous employers will top my list of "people to torture".

Trent said:
if i ever come down with a raging case of the "terminal cancers", i'm not positive how i will handle that, but i'm certain several previous employers will top my list of "people to torture".

Golly Trent, remind me never to piss you off, lol.

Latest posts

Back