Things can change a lot, can't they?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Relationships have never been my strong suit. That said, I never wanted for friends during school, since it's the sort of place with built-in social opportunities like sports and, later, my fraternity. But it was in the past two years that I realised I wasn't any good at making friends outside of a ready-made social framework.

After college, I went into a line of work that took me away from all my old friends. Two years later, I returned to my home town (also where I went to college) and found that things had changed drastically. It seemed as though everyone I had been friends with had gotten engaged or married, or had been in a relationship for so long, they had essentially become married. That means that everything they do socially is with other long-term couples, and unfortunately, that means I'm excluded.

Now, you'd think establishing a solid relationship with a woman would solve that problem, no? You're probably right. Problem is, I've been single so long, it's become self-sustaining. I did have a girlfriend of sorts once--back in seventh grade. Since then, she's been married, divorced, and re-married. (Keep in mind, I can see 30 from where I am, but I'm not quite there yet.) Meanwhile, I've gone from one uneventful Valentine's Day to another. Yes, I'm nervous as hell with women I have any interest in, but at the same time, I don't see any with any interest in me. Why, I have no idea. It's not like I'm heinous: though the abs have long since disappeared, I still look like the college athlete that I was, and my parents are decent looking, I suppose. But I get nothing.

The end result is that I spend my weekends alone. My phone's call log is a sorry collection of my parents' respective numbers and one call from my psychiatrist. I haven't gone out for months. My parents have a more active social life than I do. I'm a ball of frustration and misery and there's not a **** thing I can do about it.

I'm leaving work and starting law school this fall. While this could be a shot at social redemption, I'm really quite afraid of it being more of the same. Unlike college, law school isn't shiny and happy, nor do you have the dorms and Thursday night keggers that introduce you to people. It's going to be a big, anonymous place where I'll be lucky to even exchange a single word with anyone, much less kindle a friendship.

I almost wish I never had friends in the first place. At least I wouldn't have known how much it hurts to lose them all.

I have discovered..well nothing really, which is why my life is hideous too...but I have a plan to HATE something..VEHEMENTLEY...love does'nt unite people hate does. It sounds negative but why not try hating something (or someone deserving ) ..or just acting aloof and superior.........or dark and twisted..women love that. I fell for that angle and now we're both miserable..lonely..and twisted together.

Well, ask yourself this: What do you do outside of work? Do you just go home, or do you do other things? What hobbies do you have? Find out what you like to do, and do these things with other people. Any hobby works at that; I met a girl at a kung fu class that I went out with for a year and a half. Do things; make yourself available.

Not to sound as though I am actually giving advice but I think you should register here...you never know who you might meet, also maybe you could try to make an effort to be more social whenever the situation arises...just make an effort to talk to people..doesnt matter who..could be the coffee-shop waiter...talk to people...if they seem open to conversation..because you've made friends before so...

Thing is though getting into a relationship may be more difficult than just talking to people...from conversation you never know what may happen..but also you might have to take chances (i dont really mean emotionally until you are in a relationship)..but you are going to have to take chances and risk being rejected ..and get rejected and be strong and all that...whenever you find that you can risk it..and after talking with someone..say you are someone looking for a serious realtionship..feel out ..stuff lol

Baby-steps though...start with a few conversations...lol well that's my take but I dont know much soooooooooo.yea

by the way I really feel for you also because that is a pretty big fear of mine...that my friends will forget about me since I'm now going to school in a different country..

I guess I was kind of in an opposite situation...I didn't really have any friends throughout highschool. I didn't go to college until a couple years after graduation, so I was forced to try and make friends in a new city, without the advantages of sharing classes, dorms, etc... But what I found is that there are a lot of people in your situation, maybe not in your hometown (if it's small), but in cities, and yes, in schools. Don't think that you're the only person who has trouble making friends.

And maybe looking for a romantic relationship right away isn't the best idea. I say this from experience...it can drive you crazy to be dependent on one person as your only friend and romantic partner. Try building a network of friends first. Joining clubs, doing volunteer work, working, and even studying can help you meet people. Law school may not be like your undergraduate years, but people are still people. It takes time, and some failures, but eventually you can find some people you respect, connect to, and share interests with.

That's a struggle that so many people have; trying to establsh a social network without any real initial connections. it's tough to break into a niche, without feeling desperate and begging to be a tag-along. I'm sort of in that boat now. I'd love to have a bigger (okay, any size as mine is now non-existant) social network, but I know it doesn't happen overnight. I miss college in that people were all seeking companionship during their younger years. Now, people seem to already have their friends made and have established their social circles. My uncle always told me that I should attend college where I wanted to work and live, due to the network I'd make. I moved away for work; I think he was right.

It's so hard at 27 to just start making new friends. Making myself available is also difficult, because of the lifestyle I lead. Rock shows all night, sleeping all day, signing autographs/making appearances in the afternoons... (okay, so I teach, take care of two wild kids, and work full time on grad school.... a boy can dream!) I need to take more time for me...

ya i know what you mean i always feel like some dweb tag along if I'm anywhere at all, my moms 50 she's got a more social life than i do

Latest posts

Back