Things can't possibly get worse

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrax

Reaction score
Why are friends hard to get? Why does it seem so easy for others to make them?

The following is pure rant. I just need to get this out of my chest.

I am really depressed at the moment. My whole life seems to have hit rock bottom. I literally have no one to talk to. No friends, no family, not even a therapist anymore. And I find myself trapped in a vicious cycle that started ever since I met my old schoolmate of 10 years ago again this past spring. My father had just passed away, and she appeared in my life (let's call her "E"). We got along great at the beginning; so great, in fact, that I took her friendship as a gift from God. Through her I got reacquainted with another old classmate ("G"), so it seemed that my life was changing for the better. As they say, God never closes a door without opening a window. Then, "E" began to distance herself from me without any apparent reason. After a few more ups and downs with her, I decided to let that acquaintanceship die its natural death. There were no heated discussions; communication just failed. At least, I thought, I have another person with whom I can talk, i.e., "G". Turns out, he was the same--all chit-chat one second, and the next, it's like he vanished from the face of the earth. I don't want to ever see these people again.

Now, when I first felt that things weren't working out with "E", I went down hard. Having a personality disorder, my mind just fired up a bunch of negative thoughts, and I got really depressed, and quiet. So quiet, that I couldn't talk to my mother; I was trapped inside my head. But did I get one shred of compassion from her? No, she just reacted angrily. "Why don't you talk?!" she asks upset. "Don't you get tired of not speaking?!" This came as a bombshell for me, because for many years I've been the family's provider, and the one who kinda kept a rein on the house. I had no support from anyone, but I took the responsibility. Now that I clearly needed help, understanding, I get angry reactions. So now, no friends, no family.

And the therapist? Again, when things started going awry with "E" and got really depressed (with tics and all), I went to a therapist. Just the cheapest and closest therapist I could find. And at first I was impressed by the doctor. The main advantage I saw was that she was young, which in my mind meant that she could perhaps better relate to me. The first session was ok, I blurted out many things that were bothering me. The second, she made me do some tests. Great! She's being very professional and is well prepared. On the third session, instead of continuing with the tests (as expected), we talked about secondary issues, which, though still important, I thought did not merit that much attention. The fourth session more talk of secondary issues, and now she appears to be ill prepared, like not knowing what to do next or give flimsy advice. Fifth session is the same. Sixth session, the same. This last one was this week. After therapy I felt awful, and went to write her an e-mail suspending the sessions. Did I get any acknowledgment for that e-mail? No. Why would I? I don't matter.

Lastly, when things didn't seem to get any worse, they do. Just a few days ago I had added one more contact to my Facebook page, bringing the total to 7! This new "friend" seemed to share a lot of the interests I have in the areas of philosophy and languages. We had just started to comment on each other's walls, and even chatted briefly yesterday morning. Imagine my surprise (oh, how dumb of me) to find a couple of hours ago, that I have been blocked by that person. Yes, blocked! Without any explanation whatsoever. I send him an e-mail asking if maybe someone had hacked into his account (yeah, right), and he replies saying that he's uncomfortable talking with someone who doesn't have any photos put up on the profile page. HAS THE WHOLE F**ING WORLD TURNED ON ME? WHY AM I BEING TREATED THIS WAY?! Of course, I deactivated my account almost immediately, since the other 6 "friends" don't seem to know that I exist, and there's no point to having an account anymore.

So, here I am, past midnight on a Saturday night, completely and utterly alone. I wonder what tomorrow will bring for me. I can't wait!

Ok, rant over.

Okay...

This is how i am...I'm one those people that trips in the hallway between the two fucken doors.lmao
Then I go into a deep despair and out of my fucken mind.
No matter how much I want to make it to the next door...I feel there's no power in me.
I struggle, kick, scream, and cry to no avail. Then I go deeper into depair.
I feel like I'm going out of my fucken mind.

Then after I struggle for a while..( it depends how much fight I have in me :p).
I get so tired...I give up, I surrender. I become still (by defualt). I let go of everything.
Going through this process is very painful and it takes everything out of me.
It's as if I'm a child that had to cry myself to sleep...whatever how long that takes.
Then GRACE steps in. It is only through the grace of god that can save me from myself.
Out of my head and into the heart of god.
I don't fucken talk..becuase I don't wanna be FIXED...and no one fucken understands me.
Hell..I don't even think god understands me. Maybe god understands me...IDK.

The two doors, the hallway, the darkness, the insanity, the pains..somehow got removed.
A different awareness, an awakening, a higher consious. It's like a rebirth.
I know who I am...I'm a child of god.
Knowing this..I become more loving towards myself. I cherrish myself and life for what it is.
Just for a moment I allow myself to be happy..for no perticular reasons other then knowing
that I'm happiness. Just for a moment I allow myself to just listen to the sweet sound of music.
Just for a moment I allow myself to just sit in my garden and enjoy the beautiful scent of the flowers
and the beauty of a rose. Just for a moment I allow myself to enjoy a beautiful bird soring through
the sky. Just more a moment i allow myself to enjoy what a loving and beautiful human that I am.
Just for a moment I allow myself to luagh, joke around or laugh at myself.
Just for a moment i allow myself to smile back and say hello to a complete stranger.
Just for a moment I allow myself to go for a simple walk and to be able to see, feel, hear, taste....LIFE.:)

I have a hard time living life oneday at a time..like the normal people.
Sometimes I have to start my day over and over again. A freash start 3-4 times during my days..
Heck..sometimes I struggle doing that.
I have to live it a moment at a time and be in the moment...otherwise I'll go freaken crazy or my head starts spinning.lol

the way i see it..

friends are not easy to come by, there is a lot of effort that has to be invested into personal relationships to make them last.. the people that i have known that have had many friends are to a degree open and gregarious people.. so i figure there is a certain amount of natural people skills that they were born with and the sort of environment they were reared/nurtured in.. usually families that are supportive, caring and loving and have done a pretty good job in terms of creating a healthy sense of self esteem and social interaction ability..

i went to a 21st many moons ago where this dude had more than a hunded people at his party and his parents and family were there. this was inconceivable to me.. i couldnt believe that someone could have that many people that they knew and would come to celebrate his birthday in such a memorable way.. i never had a 21st birthday party.. hell i only ever had one birthday party when i was 9!

but this guy was warm, open, funny, friendly, outgoing, full of pep and he was genuinly a nice guy.. i was really quite jealous and depressed that that wasnt my experience.. it seemed that he had it all.. but then i didnt know everything about his life.. i didnt know what kind of family he grew up in.. how social his parents were and how many friends they had or what kind of social skills they had 'passed' on to him.. however i imagine he didnt grow up in the kind of socially isolated family i did where my father was an emotional parasite that wouldnt know how to nurture self esteem to save his life.. and my mother was emotionally spent and had no energy to nurture my brother and i.

i mention this because i dont think it can be underestimated the kind of environment you were brought up in in terms of moulding your personality and character. i dont mean to be bleak and catastrophic by suggesting that who you are and the battles you have to fight in life are 'set' down in childhood and are predominantly influenced by your family.. and now you are just doomed to live out the personality programming of your early years.. but that it is noteworthy to consider the hand that you were dealt has a strong effect on who you are and if you understand the environment where you were raised better you may gain insight into difficulties you are experiencing in your life presently. i also think that this is valid in taking some of the self-blame away from yourself.. we all have a habit of internalising our so called 'failures'.. failure to make friends.. failure to attract a mate.. failure to be happy.. etc

some people do get a 'better' start in life.. loving family.. access to good education.. a natural dispostion towards friendliness.. this doesnt mean that its a convenient excuse to give up either.. i just think that knowing that these differences exist, at the fundamental level it can take the pressure you put on yourself to be like 'him' or 'her'.

that said.. i have known people who are not naturally gregarious and dont attract people easily and dont make friends easily.. they just keep trying.. over and over.. they keep trying to be open,..accepting.. thoughtful.. considerate... kind.. and i have seen the results.. people are eventually attracted to them.. both good and bad unfortuantely.. and only time will tell.. but if you are determined to create connections with people.. whatever your natural levels of friendliness are you can achieve it with persistance.. and if not you have the internal satisfaction of knowing you tried.. i try to focus on this more and more these days.. the fact that whether or not a relationship actually develops is not my focus.. but rather that i TRIED to make a connection, no matter how small..

your therapist is young (as you mentioned) so this leads me to think that maybe they are not really sure what to do.. maybe you could try another therapist? not aswering your email is pretty pathetic i must admit.

as for facebook, i have 6 friends and only one person has written on my wall.. so now you know someone with less friends than you :) but honestly i couldnt give a rats arse whether or not my highschool chums will be my facebook mates.. they are all in successful careers and popping out babies like spuds in a spud factory.. i feel like my world is too far away from theirs anyway..

on the bright side that person who you said blocked you for not having a photo.. at least responded to you with a reason.. they couldve just been completely silent.. if they feel uncomfortable that is their problem, it sounds like you can still talk to them if you are willing to post a photo of yourself.. up to you:)

peace :p

Thank you Lonesome Crow and Power2thePeople for your lengthy and very helpful replies. I woke up feeling a little better, for some strange reason. Perhaps I've come to realize that having hit the bottom, there's no other way but up. I'm still not optimistic, though; I see the road ahead of me to be long and difficult, and even a little scary. But now that I'm alone again and fed up with relationships of any kind, I can at least have some relative peace of mind and time to focus on what to do next to pick myself up.

I shall post more thoughts later.

Thanks!

P.S.: Power, this Facebook jerk did not give me an explanation for the blocking, until after I inquired. To hell with him, I say! :D

Thrax said:
that e-mail? No. Why would I? I don't matter.

Lastly, when things didn't seem to get any worse, they do. Just a few days ago I had added one more contact to my Facebook page, bringing the total to 7! This new "friend" seemed to share a lot of the interests I have in the areas of philosophy and languages. We had just started to comment on each other's walls, and even chatted briefly yesterday morning. Imagine my surprise (oh, how dumb of me) to find a couple of hours ago, that I have been blocked by that person. Yes, blocked! Without any explanation whatsoever. I send him an e-mail asking if maybe someone had hacked into his account (yeah, right), and he replies saying that he's uncomfortable talking with someone who doesn't have any photos put up on the profile page. HAS THE WHOLE F**ING WORLD TURNED ON ME? WHY AM I BEING TREATED THIS WAY?! Of course, I deactivated my account almost immediately, since the other 6 "friends" don't seem to know that I exist, and there's no point to having an account anymore.

I would chuckle to myself if i had come accross someone that actually did that.

Emotionally Irrational reactions from humanity plays like a game of ping pong.its like a virus. lets call it the "stupid" virus. it is infecting humanity at an epidemic rate. RUN!!!

Naval_Fluff said:
Lol I have 3 friends. No joke. I only talk to 3 people EVER. I say hi and shake hands, but I don't sit next to or talk to anyone except those three friends...

well, currently my ex and I are having a custody battle over our friends. My ex doesnt want me to be their friend anymore, and I am not to hang out with them. Well, what if they want to still be my friend? She is making them choose between her or me. Needless to say, the said friend didnt like to be put into that situation. Honestly, real friends dont make friends choose between friends. so, im winning the friend battle, because im not being emotionally irrational about it all. She was getting all hysterical and was screaming out at me that i was F-ing her, while holding my 1 year old son. Dude, was I pissed. acting this way in from of tristan. I will have none of that, and if she ever tries to start using him against me, im going to make it clear that it stops then and now. I know the stress that is going on her life is getting to her, but she needs to keep her emotions in check. Especially for our son.

Latest posts

Back